Skip to Content

43UD79-B screen goes black randomly

I bought the LG 43UD79-B monitor few weeks ago and I am using it with a 15-inch 2016 Macback pro running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3.

43UD79-B screen goes black randomly

Posted on 2018-04-08 08:29:52 Monitors Vote Up0Vote Down
I bought the LG 43UD79-B monitor few weeks ago and I am using it with a 15-inch 2016 Macback pro running macOS High Sierra 10.13.3. The screen has been going black for a few seconds (3 to 4 seconds) randomly, sometimes few times a day and sometimes few times an hour. 
I have tried a lot of cables already so I don't think it's the cables.
I first tried the disport port cable that comes with the monitor with a USB-C adapter.
Then I bought several premium display port direct to USB-C cables such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074V5MMCH
Then I bought several USB-C to USB-C 3.1 gen2 cables such as this one:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071LB53PN/
The screen still went black randomly.

I just started using a HDMI to USB-C cable today and so far I have not seen the problem yet.
But I would like to use the USB-C to USB-C connection as that's more convenient.

I researched online and it seems like many people also have this problem:
https://hardforum.com/threads/lg-43ud79-information.1929600/page-3#post-1043072419

Can someone help?
Tagged:
wesr

15 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: 43UD79-B screen goes black randomly

MidLifeCrysisMidLifeCrysis Member
    Posted on 2018-04-13 23:51:45 Vote Up2Vote Down
    I have exactly the same issue. I bought mine the day before yesterday and have had this issue about 10 times. The sound also cuts out which is weird. I have also checked that the drivers are up to date. Very frustrating 
    wesr
  • Reply Title Icon

InfosophInfosoph Member
    Posted on 2018-05-02 07:52:06 edited May 2018 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Same problem here. Didn't have any issues for the first few weeks, but now it goes black for a few seconds once or twice a day.

Running it on a GTX 1070 on native resolution at 10 bit. I'm also using a second screen (Dell 2709W). Win10. The LG's backlight is set to 100%, due to flickering. (I don't believe I have the most current firmware with 600hz backlight pwm, since I noticed the flickering when going below 100%, but I'm not sure.) It's connected via DisplayPort and set as main screen.

I didn't install any LG software yet, but I would be somewhat surprised if it had something to do with that.

The screen does not seem to turn off, but rather really just go black for a few seconds. I believe that to be the case because if I actually turn it off, windows I have open on the LG get resized. This luckily is not the case with this issue.
    wesr
  • Reply Title Icon

AnomyAnomy Member
    Posted on 2018-05-02 18:30:06 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Same problem here.

Screen blacks out for a couple seconds multiple time a day.

It's very frustrating since i'm using the monitor for work and the black out already caused a misclick (send instead of save) which lead me explain myself to my boss.

Also i do play online games few times a week and if i get a blackout like this in-game that will result certain death.

Is there any fix to this problem or do i have to return and buy Acer?

Expecting an answer from LG employee ASAP.

I payed around 700 € ( 800 $) for a brand new monitor that did not come with a USB C cable (not bothering to put a USB hub is one thing but leaving out the cable needed to replace the function is bad),  now i cannot work (or play) at my usual pace because any time the monitor can go "fu" for 3 sec.
    wesr
  • Reply Title Icon

wesrwesr Member
    Posted on 2018-05-09 00:49:27 edited May 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I've had the monitor for around a month myself, this just started happening recently in the past few days.  Today, it's happened twice in the first hour I've been on the machine.  I love this thing, but I'm about to return it for this very reason. 

LG - any recourse? This has never been an issue on any monitor I've purchased and I buy exclusively LG, I have 2x 32UD59-B's as well, with no issue.

macOS High Sierra: v10.13.4

Model Identifier: MacBookPro11,5

Graphics: Radeon R9 M370X (Running through DisplayPort -> Thunderbolt 2/MiniDP)

• Reply Title Icon

wesrwesr Member
    Posted on 2018-05-14 15:23:38 edited May 2018 Vote Up8Vote Down
    For all those interested, updating the software via the LG OnScreen Control app (need USB-C connection) and changing the power savings to none, seems to have fixed this for me.
    lguser123Grindcore
  • Reply Title Icon

lguser123lguser123 Member
    Posted on 2018-05-15 19:27:38 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks for the tip @wesr ! I'm also having the black screen issue on both Windows 10 and Linux. Keeping my fingers crossed that the firmware update resolves the issue!
  • Reply Title Icon

GrindcoreGrindcore Member
    Posted on 2018-05-16 15:35:15 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @wesr I registered to these forums just to thank you! I was about to return my monitors but your tip solved the problem.
  • Reply Title Icon

wesrwesr Member
    Posted on 2018-05-17 00:09:09 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Grindcore Glad to help, I was about to do the same.  Was having some serious reservations about my purchase!

@lguser123, you'll be good! It's been a week and I haven't had a single issue and I'll work 8+ hours a day on this thing.
  • Reply Title Icon

TurkstaTurksta Member
    Posted on 2018-05-22 11:57:48 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @wesr how did you change the power savings to none?

When I go to the menu with the remote there is no power saving setting in the settings only 

SMART ENERGY SAVING

Automatic standby

Both of which I turned to off. 

Any help please. 
  • Reply Title Icon

wesrwesr Member
    Posted on 2018-05-23 03:27:53 Vote Up1Vote Down
    @Turksta, just SMART ENERGY SAVING, you got it, you're set!
  • Reply Title Icon

TurkstaTurksta Member
    Posted on 2018-06-03 01:04:19 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Ok guys, it's been since may 23 after the update. Since yesterday the black screen has came back, been a couple occasions where it's done it like 3 times in like 15min. I shut it off via the power button on the TV and that seemed to have stopped it (I also turned the brightness from 100 to 90) but happened again later in the day when I turned it on via the remote. Really pissing me off now as it stopped for like 10 days after I updated it. The sound randomly stopped aswell like a day before the black screen came back. 
  • Reply Title Icon

smartenssmartens Member
    Posted on 2018-06-13 14:41:51 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @wesr Thank you! Your advice helped to resolve my issue
  • Reply Title Icon

grantm34grantm34 Member
    Posted on 2018-11-25 17:29:02 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Commenting about the same issue. I don't see any firmware updates for Mac. Only for Windows 10. I've tried with the OnScreen Controller but don't see any option to update there either. I have automatic update selected in the OnscreenController. Are there any updates for Mac? I've tested this with other monitors and it only occurs with the LG.
  • Reply Title Icon

evansmith1377evansmith1377 Member
    Posted on 2018-12-15 15:13:04 Vote Up5Vote Down
    @LG, what is the recourse? Do we return our monitors if we cannot resolved the issue?
    seanjones
  • Reply Title Icon

nickfostnickfost Member
    Posted on 2019-07-03 06:55:53 Vote Up0Vote Down
    i did everything and i have the same issue on my LG 24mp59g.The screen goes black randomly for 2 sec and comes back. Ok i read couples of forum and i did everything. it is not my graphic card because all my other screen won't turn black exept the lg one. so i set the monitor to 6 bits except of 8 bits color, turn off smart energy saver, turn off freesync, set scalling mode to full panel, pixel format to 4,4,4 rgb standard, virtual super resolution off, gpu scalling off and i still have the issues. it happen every 20 minutes. i also look in the event viewer of windows and i find nothing conclusive any help please will be appreciated.