Skip to Content

Concert Mode mic setup kicking in automatically and ruining my videos with the LG V30!

I am completely p$ssed off by this appalling feature on my new V30.

Concert Mode mic setup kicking in automatically and ruining my videos with the LG V30!

Posted on 2018-05-07 12:54:32 edited May 2018 Unlocked Phones Vote Up0Vote Down
I am completely p$ssed off by this appalling feature on my new V30.

Whenever the phone senses a loud environment during video recording, EVEN IN MANUAL MODE, it turns a CONCERT MODE on for its mic, which should help avoiding clipping, I suppose.

The bottom line is that it not only decreases the audio quality by a big margin, but also changes the recording from STEREO to MONO! And this keeps happening quite a few times during the recording. You pick the Hi-fi recording option, have it done, plug the B&O headphones, turn the Quad-DAC system on and then have this unbelievably unpleasant surprise in the middle of a guitar solo!

I wonder what sort of m@ron thought this would be a good idea!

The best to do would be putting that as an option to be enabled by the user through an on-screen button, and not automatically. After all, this is the manual mode, for Christ's sake!

It's because of this little annoyances that LG is struggling on the smartphone business.

8 REPLIES

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Concert Mode mic setup kicking in automatically and ruining my videos with the LG V30!

FargoUTFargoUT Member
    Posted on 2018-05-21 19:19:24 Vote Up0Vote Down
    One question: are you recording this in portrait or landscape mode? Portrait mode will always be in Mono audio (I have no idea why). I downloaded a tool that will force the orientation, but that will still only work if you hold the camera in landscape. 
  • Reply Title Icon

RE: Concert Mode mic setup kicking in automatically and ruining my videos with the LG V30!

RecZeroRecZero Member
    Posted on 2018-05-22 01:53:51 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Landscape. The audio turns to mono whenever the Concert Mode kicks in.
  • Reply Title Icon

RecZeroRecZero Member
    Posted on 2018-06-02 06:17:05 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I'm still awaiting for an answer, LG!
  • Reply Title Icon

AlexanderAlexander LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-09-06 15:13:05 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    @RecZero, Good day,

When in manual video mode, do you see a mic option on the bottom left? The gain slider allows you to adjust the overall volume, LCF (Low Cut Filter) lets you cut out low frequencies (such as HVAC systems, the sound of a train, etc), and LMT sets a maximum volume to prevent loud noises from blowing out an otherwise reasonable recording.

RecZero
  • Reply Title Icon

RecZeroRecZero Member
    Posted on 2018-11-21 22:16:29 Vote Up0Vote Down
    No matter how low I set the mic gain, the AWFUL Concert Mode still kicks in whenever there's loud audio. This sucks!
  • Reply Title Icon

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-12-20 21:59:53 Vote Up0Vote Down

I was able to get some information about the concert mode and it is operating as designed. We have submitted a complaint up to our factory about the operation of the Concert Mode and we hope to improve its' functionality in the future.

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

RecZeroRecZero Member
    Posted on 2019-02-08 02:52:30 Vote Up5Vote Down
    So you should definitely fire the people in charge of designing it. How difficult could it be to give us an option to DISABLE this Concert Mode manually? That's why you struggle on the phone business.
    webvan
  • Reply Title Icon

webvanwebvan Member
    Posted on 2019-03-29 15:18:48 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks for the warning, I was looking at the V30 to record live shows but I think I'll stick to my old Nokia 830 that I can just take along as a second phone.