Skip to Content

PC -> TV -> Receiver = No 5.1 Audio?

Hello all, I am currently having a small issue with my PC.

PC -> TV -> Receiver = No 5.1 Audio?

Posted on 2018-05-15 12:46:05 4K Ultra HD TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
Hello all,
I am currently having a small issue with my PC. Whenever I connect my Xbox to my TV, the TV allows 5.1 audio to pass through it to my receiver via HDMI ARC. I believe this is because the Xbox ignores the HDMI profile that is sent to it from the TV and pumps through 5.1 anyway.
However, when I connect up my Gaming PC for a night on the couch with a controller, 5.1 is not an option from my PC. (See pic).

I know most people will most likely be thinking, just plug it into the receiver, but the receiver is not an analogue image pass-through to the TV, it adds a few ms delay, which makes it almost impossible to play a FPS shooter.
So when I plug it directly into the TV and put it into game mode, the delay is extremely shorter.

So does anyone know any way to allow the TV to advertise that it can actually pass-through 5.1 audio to my receiver?
I do have a universal remote that CAN be programmed to open the engineering menu, if there is a setting in there, that will do it.

My TV is a 2017 Model 65 inch 4K HDR LED TV

Any help at all will be highly appreciated

Thanks,
Drayton95

1 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: PC -> TV -> Receiver = No 5.1 Audio?

AhmedLGAhmedLG Member
    Posted on 2018-11-21 19:50:56 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hello @Drayton95

I'm sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with getting surround sound to work. My recommendation for this would be to get an HDMI audio extractor, and use that to plug the audio directly into your AV receiver. This way you can still have the direct connection to your TV via HDMI. Here is an example of an HDMI Audio Extractor:  http://a.co/d/a2ChU1Z

If you continue to experience issues, feel free to let me know.

Thanks,