Skip to Content

2020 LG Gram 17 - memory upgrade won't boot

I have the new 2020 LG Gram 17 (IceLake/10th Gen Intel) and am trying to upgrade the memory by swapping out the 8GB stick for a 16GB DDR4 (2666Mhz) stick from Samsung.  With the new memory installed and the computer is turned on, the screen stays blank and there's no indication of it booting into either the BIOS or Windows.  The power button is lit and the keyboard backlight does flash.

2020 LG Gram 17 - memory upgrade won't boot

Posted on 2020-02-14 06:47:50 Laptops Vote Up0Vote Down
I have the new 2020 LG Gram 17 (IceLake/10th Gen Intel) and am trying to upgrade the memory by swapping out the 8GB stick for a 16GB DDR4 (2666Mhz) stick from Samsung.  With the new memory installed and the computer is turned on, the screen stays blank and there's no indication of it booting into either the BIOS or Windows.  The power button is lit and the keyboard backlight does flash.

I have also tried booting the computer with just the onboard 8GB memory (the sodimm slot being empty) and the same behavior happens:  no display signal.  Putting back the original 8GB stick allows the computer to bootup into Windows.

I looked at the support page and don't see an updated BIOS which I was hoping would allow for memory upgrades, but there is none available at the moment: https://www.lg.com/us/support/product/lg-17Z90N-R.AAS9U1

Interestingly, the BIOS shows a wonky version for this computer:  17Z90N-R.AAS8U1, which is different than the version shown in the URL above.  Attached is a screenshot that shows this.

I'm really hoping that a BIOS update is available soon that addresses this.  My main reason for purchasing this laptop was to upgrade it to 24GB memory or possibly 40GB which the 2019 model supported.  If I can't do this, I'll have to look elsewhere for a laptop :(

6 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: 2020 LG Gram 17 - memory upgrade won't boot

JosH4JosH4 Member
    Posted on 2020-02-14 21:32:50 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I notice that your system memory operates at 3200MHz, but the 16GB you are trying to install is 2666MHZ. It is likely that the memory management drivers on this model are set for paired 3200MHz SODIMMS, or are allocating a lot of system memory at boot. Also, quite likely that the CPU will not downclock to support the slower stick when it has 3200MHz one soldered to the board. I was able to upgrade my 17Z990-RAAS7IU to 40GB as you noted above, as well as clone the 256GB SATA to a 2TB NVMe in the x4 slot and install another 2TB NVMe into the x2 slot. This went without a hitch and I much like the result. Although a new DDR4 3200 MHz isn't cheap, I would recommend you add, perhaps 16GB at first, then, advance to 32GB, later, when the need arises. 
  • Reply Title Icon

AntonyNguyenAntonyNguyen Member
    Posted on 2020-02-15 23:31:13 Vote Up0Vote Down
    JosH4,

Thanks for the reply!  I will test out a 3200Mhz chip.  Doing some searches, it doesn't appear that a single 3200MHz 32GB DDR4 sodimm exists yet.  I'm hoping that it's just a matter of time before these come available.  I will test out a 3200MHz 16GB module and will report back soon.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2020-02-15 23:58:23 Vote Up0Vote Down
    ... and I misspoke about the availability of 32GB 3200MHz sodimms.  HyperX seems to sell them which I just purchased.  Fingers crossed!
  • Reply Title Icon

ronbermudezronbermudez Member
    Posted on 2020-02-16 22:00:27 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I just bought the 2020 Gram today.  Looking forward to your update about your 32GB DDR4 upgrade.  I'll be upgrading mine as well.

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2020-02-17 08:02:39 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Good news!  My original 32GB stick (2666MHz) *does* work, or at least it boots into Windows!  With the advice of someone from another board, they recommended that I just wait out the bootup longer. It took about 2 minutes for it to finally boot into Windows, and during this time there was no display output at all, so I impatiently tossed my hands up after a minute.  Now I know better, hah!  It seems the BIOS just had to discover the new memory correctly.  The bootup is very quick now after that initial long delayed bootup.

The available memory is showing 40GB and I decided to run a Windows 10 memory test.  The test finished, but unfortunately, the final report does not appear in the Windows event log like it's suppose to.  This seems like a recent bug in Windows 10 as other people have said their memory test report doesn't appear either.  So my next step is to run memtest86+ overnight to verify the new memory.  I will keep everyone posted.

The memory module I have is Samsung model M471A4G43MB1.  I have attached the hwinfo64 report for interested people.

On a side note, I'm also installing a second NVMe drive.  As my bad (or self-inflicted) luck would have it, Windows refuses to format a volume on it.  This drive is an HP EX920, which HP itself doesn't seem to support - it's outsourced to a different company!  The drive shows up in the BIOS boot as "SM2622", which is the SiliconMotion drive controller, not the actual name of the drive itself.  The factory drive of the laptop identifies itself correctly.  I'm chalking this one up to this HP drive not being well supported, so I'm exchanging it for a Samsung 970 EVO which should hopefully have less finicky drivers.  Again, I will keep everyone updated.

• Reply Title Icon

JosH4JosH4 Member
    Posted on 2020-02-17 16:25:18 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Great work! Will you be installing the 3200MHZ 32Gb SODIMM ( I assume HyperX Impact DDR4) that you ordered? Very encouraged by your results. Planning on getting a 2020 model Gram 17 with the least RAM and disk capacity, and upgrading it to the hilt. Then gifting this 2019 model to a wonderful granddaughter.

Incidentally, what do you plan to use all the memory and storage for?  For me, I keep multiple windows open, stream and download many and large files.  This machine works great for that, and I love the display aspect ratio.