Skip to Content

Blurry/Pasty picture on OLED65C9

JamalofLG I'm having an issue with my OLED65C9PUA. The picture is just not as clear as I believe it suppose to be.

Blurry/Pasty picture on OLED65C9

Posted on 2020-02-14 23:26:25 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down

JamalofLG
I'm having an issue with my OLED65C9PUA. The picture is just not as clear as I believe it suppose to be. Like @kwfitz mentioned in his post it's not bad on Netflix, AppleTV or YouTube. I find my satellite tv feed is not clear unless as mentioned above it's an extreme facial closeup. Even then if there is any movement you can see the facial features get blotchy/pasty. I've also tried adjusting everything...although I'm not sure what some of the settings actually do. What does the Al Picture mode accomplish if it's turned on? I usually play with the settings on the "Standard" or "APS" picture modes. My current settings on the APS mode are as follows:
HDMI ULTRA HD DEEP COLOR : off
TruMotion: off
see attached photos 
I prefer my picture to be brighter than darker. Any help with getting facial pics to be more detailed instead of blotchy/pasty and the detail in everything to be better would be greatly appreciated. Even anything in writing on the screen is not sharp. 
Thanks for any help you can provide.  

Best Answer

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Blurry/Pasty picture on OLED65C9

Posted on 2020-02-15 12:47:27 edited February 15 Vote Up5Vote Down
    The problems are caused by your picture settings. 

1. Make sure to disable all power saving features (This also means that you want to change your picture profile from APS to a more accurate picture profile). They ruin the picture quality.
    2. For the best picture quality in SDR make sure to use one of the following picture profiles:
    - ISF Expert Dark Room (with Gamma 2.2 instead of 2.4/BT.1886)
    - ISF Expert Bright Room (I would suggest this picture profile if you want the picture to be brighter) 
    - Technicolor
    3. For HDR and Dolby Vision:
    - Cinema 
    4. Leave sharpness at 10. Do not increase increase it. Otherwise the TV will add nasty edges to the picture which makes the whole picture look unsharp.
    5. Turn off these features:
    - Dynamic Contrast
    - Dynamic Color
    - Super Resolution
    - Noise Reduction
    - MPEG Noise Reduction
    - Smooth Gradation
    - AI Picture
    6. What you can do is increasing OLED Light to your taste. But do not touch the Brightness setting. Leave brightness at 50. In terms of the other settings like Color or Contrast: Leave them at stock settings. 

Rtings also has a list of settings you can try:
    https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c9-oled/settings

With these settings applied you should get a much better picture.

P.S.:
    If a UHD Blu Ray Player, Apple TV 4K, XBox One S/X or PS4 PRO (or any other UHD deive) is connected to your TV you want to make sure HDMI ULTRA HD DEEP COLOR is enabled.

skipperab

2 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

skipperabskipperab Member
    Posted on 2020-02-15 23:14:59 edited February 15 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks so much @fenster3000. Much appreciated. My pic is certainly better than the way I had it. I've got a couple more questions for you if you don't mind. You mentioned setting the "dynamic color" setting to off. I can't find that setting under expert (dark or light).  Are the following settings correct? 
    Color gamut is set to - auto
    Peak brightness is set to - off
    Black level is set to - low
    Real cinema is set to - on
    Tru Motion is set to - user with de-judder at 0 and de-blur to 10 with Oled motion to - off
    I watch a lot of hockey if that makes any difference 
    Once again thanks for your help!

• Reply Title Icon

fenster3000fenster3000 Member
    Posted on 2020-02-16 13:46:37 Vote Up5Vote Down
    "You mentioned setting the "dynamic color" setting to off. I can't find that setting under expert (dark or light). "

Looks like this "feature" is not available in ISF Expert. No need to worry then.

"Color gamut is set to - auto"
    Yep. That is correct.

"Peak brightness is set to - off"
    Yep. For SDR content this is correct. During HDR/DV this setting will be on high.

"Black level is set to - low"
    Correct. 

"Real cinema is set to - on"
    For 24p movies "on" is correct. Do not be surprised if this will be greyed while watching 60p content or while TruMotion is enabled.

"Tru Motion is set to - user with de-judder at 0 and de-blur to 10 with Oled motion to - off"
    Many people recommend to leave TruMotion off because it "goes against the creator's intent". In my opinion it is up to you. Everyone has a different taste. Unless I am watching a 24p movie I use the same settings with de-judder at 0, de-blur at 10 and OLED Motion off. But feel free to play around with True motion. Some people also say that "Clear" also works well.
    For 24p movies I use Real Cinema while TruMotion is set to off..

I do not know if gaming is a thing for you. If that is the case make sure to use the Gaming picture profile 
    in order to get the lowest inputlag possible. To improve the picture quality a bit you can adpot most settings (like contrast,  OLED Light and Gamma from your ISF Expert picutre settings. Just make sure to leave stuff like Noise Reducion off as well.

skipperab