Skip to Content

How to tell video is in 4K

Is there any way of knowing when the TV is actually displaying content in 4K?  I have the OLED55C7P model.  I know when HDR content is playing, the TV shows me w…

How to tell video is in 4K

Posted on 2017-11-08 14:45:09 edited November 2017 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
Is there any way of knowing when the TV is actually displaying content in 4K?  I have the OLED55C7P model.  I know when HDR content is playing, the TV shows me with a little popup once it recognizes it.  I just purchased the Xbox One X, and i'd like to know that they are playing nicely with one another.

6 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: How to tell video is in 4K

SalmonGramSalmonGram Member
    Posted on 2017-11-09 21:16:52 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Does nobody know an answer to this, or are these boards just that dead?
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2017-11-10 03:38:07 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Great question. I’d like to know as well. 
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2017-11-21 00:12:34 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Yes. You have the One X? I have the One S. I don't remember which button, specifically, but when you press one of the four letter buttons, X, Y, A, B, it brings up a list of data at the top of the screen. It tells you the resolution, frame rate, etc. If the resolution is greater than 1080, you are running in 4K.
  • Reply Title Icon

SabertoothSabertooth Member
    Posted on 2017-11-30 18:52:15 edited November 2017 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I'm not sure if you are in the same boat as I was as I have the OLED65B7A with the magic remote. That remote doesn't appear to have an Info button on it to allow you to see the information about the signal coming in on a specific input but that function IS there. I programmed my Harmony One remote to the LG 65UJ6540 TV and that had a code for the Info button. Pressing the programmed button on the remote pull down a banner at the top which says the Input Name and input, the date and time and more importantly the aspect, resolution and audio (i.e., 16:9 2160p  and PCM for a Chromecast Ultra on HDMI 1 playing a program from a popular drama streaming site). You may need to do like I did to get this information up on the screen. The codes for that TV also included direct input selection (i.e., InputHDMI1, InputHDMI2, etc.) and Play, Pause, and Stop infrared commands and others for control of Netflix or an attached blu-ray player.

Update: I just figured out how to get the banner up using the magic remote and pointer. With the pointer present, press the wheel button then click on the Input Name that appears in the upper right corner to reveal the input signal information.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2018-07-09 16:44:04 edited July 2018 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I'm late to the game on this one, but during my similar attempts to answer above question, I tripped across the solution. So assuming this question is still outstanding, if you press the click wheel on the magic remote, it displays the input source label in the upper left. If you move up over, and click on the label (it highlights red when you can click on it), then it shows all the input source details mentioned above. 
    Now having done this on multiple programming, it turns out it may not be accurate in showing the resolution of the content, but is showing the resolution that is capable from the source. I'm seeing 2160p regardless of whether I'm watching 4k or HD content. 
    king
  • Reply Title Icon

kingking Member
    Posted on 2019-03-14 04:14:49 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Agreed with flyingsquirrel . this way just give the maximum capability of the connected device which can be delivered through HDMI.
    So , the question still there ???
    Anyone can help ????/