solved: ARC sound dropout problem

I thought this was a firmware problem but it turned out to be HDMI cabling.  Firmware was upgraded about the same time as when I added a keystone patch panel for speaker / HDMI / power / optical / ethernet.  I occasionally watch Netflix and discovered that the sound through the amp would drop out for 1-2 seconds every 20-30 seconds.  This was unwatchable.  I connected an optical cable but it didn't make any difference.  I found out later that the reason it made no difference is that the LG 60LB6100 setting for external audio defaulted back to ARC.  If I had pulled the ARC cable the optical would have worked just fine.

Welcome Guest!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

solved: ARC sound dropout problem

Posted on 2018-06-20 17:54:37 TV/Audio/Video Vote Up0Vote Down
Current Rating: 0
I thought this was a firmware problem but it turned out to be HDMI cabling.  Firmware was upgraded about the same time as when I added a keystone patch panel for speaker / HDMI / power / optical / ethernet.  I occasionally watch Netflix and discovered that the sound through the amp would drop out for 1-2 seconds every 20-30 seconds.  This was unwatchable.  I connected an optical cable but it didn't make any difference.  I found out later that the reason it made no difference is that the LG 60LB6100 setting for external audio defaulted back to ARC.  If I had pulled the ARC cable the optical would have worked just fine.

ARC cabling problem:  Back of LG had right angle connector to short HDMI patch cable that went to wall behind LGTV.  Cable in the conduit inside the wall went to a 2nd patch panel in amp area.  Short HDMI patch went to Yamaha 5810 amp and its ARC input.   Total of 3 cables, 2 keystone feed-thru  and one 270deg adapter. I assume all these devices somehow degraded the signal because ARC worked perfectly when I connected the TV directly to the ARC input of the amp.

I need the right angle adapter as the TV is mounted on a swing arm to give access to the movie server PC behind the TV.  The HDMI & USB connectors are parallel to the TV surface which makes sense for a wall mount but puts too much strain on the HDMI when the TV is rotated on the swing arm.  The HDMI#2 got damaged due to a stiff cable and not having that 270deg adapter.  A better design would be cable clamps to secure the HDMI and prevent them from prying the HDMI connector off the PCB.  If any LG engineers read this, please consider adding a few eyelets near the HDMI to allow cable ties to secure the cables.

Anyway ARC sound is not dropping out anymore and I am waiting for a longer HDMI cable to avoid having to use the patch panel.
Tagged:

Be the first person to comment here!