solved: ARC sound dropout problem

I thought this was a firmware problem but it turned out to be HDMI cabling.  Firmware was upgraded about the same time as when I added a keystone patch panel for speaker / HDMI / power / optical / ethernet.  I occasionally watch Netflix and discovered that the sound through the amp would drop out for 1-2 seconds every 20-30 seconds.  This was unwatchable.  I connected an optical cable but it didn't make any difference.  I found out later that the reason it made no difference is that the LG 60LB6100 setting for external audio defaulted back to ARC.  If I had pulled the ARC cable the optical would have worked just fine.

solved: ARC sound dropout problem

Posted on 2018-06-20 17:54:37 TV/Audio/Video Vote Up0Vote Down
Current Rating: 0
I thought this was a firmware problem but it turned out to be HDMI cabling.  Firmware was upgraded about the same time as when I added a keystone patch panel for speaker / HDMI / power / optical / ethernet.  I occasionally watch Netflix and discovered that the sound through the amp would drop out for 1-2 seconds every 20-30 seconds.  This was unwatchable.  I connected an optical cable but it didn't make any difference.  I found out later that the reason it made no difference is that the LG 60LB6100 setting for external audio defaulted back to ARC.  If I had pulled the ARC cable the optical would have worked just fine.

ARC cabling problem:  Back of LG had right angle connector to short HDMI patch cable that went to wall behind LGTV.  Cable in the conduit inside the wall went to a 2nd patch panel in amp area.  Short HDMI patch went to Yamaha 5810 amp and its ARC input.   Total of 3 cables, 2 keystone feed-thru  and one 270deg adapter. I assume all these devices somehow degraded the signal because ARC worked perfectly when I connected the TV directly to the ARC input of the amp.

I need the right angle adapter as the TV is mounted on a swing arm to give access to the movie server PC behind the TV.  The HDMI & USB connectors are parallel to the TV surface which makes sense for a wall mount but puts too much strain on the HDMI when the TV is rotated on the swing arm.  The HDMI#2 got damaged due to a stiff cable and not having that 270deg adapter.  A better design would be cable clamps to secure the HDMI and prevent them from prying the HDMI connector off the PCB.  If any LG engineers read this, please consider adding a few eyelets near the HDMI to allow cable ties to secure the cables.

Anyway ARC sound is not dropping out anymore and I am waiting for a longer HDMI cable to avoid having to use the patch panel.
Tagged:

1 Comments

• Current Rating: 0
    Reply Title Icon

RE: solved: ARC sound dropout problem

AhmedLGAhmedLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-08-31 21:30:24 Vote Up0Vote Down
    This thread has been answered by the original poster, and I will be closing it now. If you feel this was done in error, please direct message me.

Thanks,

-Ahmed
This discussion has been closed.