Skip to Content

Nightmare Washer/Dryer Combo Unit

Recently purchased one of these, model #WM3488HW.  Ever since the first use, the dryer function does not work.  It has two extremes:  1) Too hot to touch the clothes,  OR, 2) Damp clothes.  Also, whenever the dryer is on, the odor that emits from this machine is so foul it makes my clothes and my house stink like burning rubber.

Nightmare Washer/Dryer Combo Unit

Posted on 2017-11-14 19:22:41 Laundry Vote Up0Vote Down
Recently purchased one of these, model #WM3488HW.  Ever since the first use, the dryer function does not work.  It has two extremes:  1) Too hot to touch the clothes,  OR, 2) Damp clothes.  Also, whenever the dryer is on, the odor that emits from this machine is so foul it makes my clothes and my house stink like burning rubber. Like, so bad, that I have to open all windows and set up a portable fan to dissipate the smell. I have been forced to take my clothes to a Laundromat. Seriously, I have a brand new machine that I just paid a lot for, and EVERY WEEK I have the stress and hassle of taking my clothes to a Laundromat.  Been doing this for months.  Been communicating with LG about this all along and yesterday was my 4th service call.  I'm told there will be a 5th service call soon, as LG just wants to keep throwing replacement parts at this thing. Ridiculous!  Yesterday the tech got the full impact of this odor personally, and he left my house gasping for air.  Even HE could not believe how bad it was.  Tired of being jerked around...........Comments.......Anyone?!?  Thanks in advance, I am beyond fed up with this.
EZ_Fix_Repair_Vegas

5 REPLIES

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Nightmare Washer/Dryer Combo Unit

irasdirasd Member
    Posted on 2017-11-15 04:18:43 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Something similar happened to me but with a refrigerator I bought this past July. A burning smell coming out from the compressor and the technicians have not been able to find the problem. I am going for the 4th service visit! 
  • Reply Title Icon

KrazyinkKrazyink Member
    Posted on 2017-12-09 05:40:06 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Wow! Is LG going to crap? When and where did you guys purchase your product? We've had both Roku and Samsung string us along on TVs until the warranty expired, didn't matter that we started the process months before. We always get an extended warranty through the store now. I hope LG doesn't do the same, just thought I'd throw that out there just in case. Good luck
  • Reply Title Icon

dtbaker61dtbaker61 Member
    Posted on 2018-01-07 22:35:16 Vote Up0Vote Down
    It sounds like one of your cold water valve relays has failed. These combo units need cold water to condense the water out of the hot humid air circulated in the dry cycle.

If you are a DIY person, and have a multimeter this is a 5 minute diagnostic. Check to make sure your cold water tap is on, then take the top off the machine, and locate the 4 relays that are on the cold water inlet valve unit. the resistance (ohms) should be close to the same on all 4 indicating the coils are not shorted or stuck.

A replacement inlet valve unit is about $80 online, and SHOULD be covered under warranty for 1 year.
  • Reply Title Icon

stf7stf7 Power User
    Posted on 2018-01-08 11:20:00 Vote Up5Vote Down
    One point - regarding warranties: it's possible that an appliance warranty is extended by a year depending on the use of certain credit cards:
    https://www.nerdwallet.com/blog/the-official-nerdwallet-guide-your-credit-cards-extended-warranty-policy/

EZ_Fix_Repair_Vegas
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2018-05-30 08:03:45 Vote Up0Vote Down

Every company has its bad units and lemons but, washer and dryer combo units tend to have trouble as well. Its quite a few moving parts all pact into one small area and one machine.

But as for repairing it, check out the water inlet valve for although, there's so much wrong with it you should just demand a replacement unit. LG is a good appliance brand but, I have seen some units that merited replacement or recall. This may be one of them.

Just my 2 cents...

-Fred

Repair Tech

EZ Fix Appliance Repair Las Vegas

http://www.ezfixappliancerepairlasvlegas.com/