Skip to Content

LG Tones Bluetooth Headsets.... Durability

I've owned three LG headsets. HBS-700 HBS-730 HBS-810 I've a friend who has a Tones Platinum model, after I recommended LG to him.

LG Tones Bluetooth Headsets.... Durability

Posted on 2018-07-07 03:27:07 edited July 2018 Mobile Accessories Vote Up0Vote Down
I've owned three LG headsets.

HBS-700
HBS-730
HBS-810

I've a friend who has a Tones Platinum model, after I recommended LG to him.

I've recommended LG to many, many folks over the years.

Now, after my 3rd headset that has failed in the same way that the first two did, as well as my friends Platinum model did... all four  headsets giving up the ghost... after about a year of use... I think it might be time to pursue a Bluetooth headset that is not going to fail at one year of normal use.

Maybe my expectations are too high?  Perhaps one year is normal for these headsets to fail at?  I would hope that is not the case with how much LG sells these for.

That said, does anyone, does LG have a recommendation for a headset that is not going to fail the way my three have failed?

I really don't want to look at non LG options, I really like the retractable models, but if I can only get a year out of these, why not look at non LG options for a headset that is more durable? 

SJ

3 REPLIES

• Reply Title Icon

RE: LG Tones Bluetooth Headsets.... Durability

AlexanderAlexander LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-08-31 13:59:16 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @sjtsnix, hello,

I'm sorry your headset stop working after a year of use, what issue are they experiencing? From your post "all four  headsets giving up the ghost" does it mean the headset wont power on? Its not detectable to your devices? it gets detected but does not connect? Connects but does not play music? 
  • Reply Title Icon

georgeallangeorgeallan Member
    Posted on 2019-03-17 19:39:10 Vote Up5Vote Down
    The LG Tone  headsets are not durable, my son and I have bought more than six of them, within six months either the left or right earbud goes out each and every time. Best Buy has halted all warrantees on LG headsets because of durability issues. When you pay $100 for a Bluetooth headset it should work longer than six months, LG needs to go back to the drawing board !
    sjtsnix
  • Reply Title Icon

sjtsnixsjtsnix Member
    Posted on 2019-04-28 23:01:55 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Yes, "Given up the Ghost" does not accurately describe the issue, but georgeallan knew what I was referring to.  All of the headsets tend to have one earbud go bad, making them not worth using.

"Stupid" me... sort of like someone in an abusive relationship. has returned to the 'relationship' with LG hoping for a different outcome of that relationship.  I purchased ANOTHER LG Bluetooth headset, this time the : LG Tone Platinum HBS-930 Blue.

We'll see if I can make a year with this one.

While I was away, dating a Samsung Bluetooth headset: 

The relationship with this Samsung U Flex Bluetooth Wireless is also a love / hate relationship.

Love for the Samsung model:
    1. I can use the device why it's charging!... that might not be useful to some, but to be able to charge it while i need to use it at my desk or in my car?.... Great Feature
    2. RANGE... I can leave my phone anywhere in my 1500 Sq FT home, and never lose connection

Hate for the Samsung Model:
    1. No retractable earbuds (Major fail)
    2. Micro-USB for charging?... and no USB-C?
    3. No "FF/RW" ability for podcasts (Who makes a Bluetooth headset that doesn't do this???... yep... LG as well, I bought a LG Tone Ultra Model HBS-835 and it ALSO did not have this feature... Really?, guess what was returned for a refund to Sam's club?)

Love for the LG Tone Platinum HBS-930:
    1. Retractable Ear Buds
    2. FF/RW ability for podcasts
    3. IF I walk away from my phone, headset vibrates to let me know I left my phone behind (Major selling point)  Previous models of LG as well as this one have saved me from leaving my phone behind... very nice insurance policy to never leave your phone behind.

Hate for the LG Tone Platinum HBS-930:
    1. Waiting for the 'Frail' earbuds to fail before I get a full year use out of them
    2. Micro-USB for charging?... and no USB-C? 
    3. Phone conversation quality is challenged per almost everyone I talk to with this headset... My friend has a LG Tone Platinum HBS-1100 and they sound absolutely great every time I talk to him:

too bad it's a discontinued model....

And for my last feedback:

When I purchased the Samsung Headset from Sam's club, the Checkout person at Sam's offered me a 2 or 3 year warranty (can't remember if it was 2 or 3 years) for an extra $9... Sold, I said.  I'll gladly pay that for the 'insurance' of this thing lasting that long.

When I purchased the LG Tone Ultra Model HBS-835 from that same Sam's Club... I did so, assuming they'd offer me an 'extended warranty' in the same way they did for the Samsung Headset...   Nope... I asked the person ringing up my items, and was told that they cash register did not have something 'pop up' to ask me if I wanted to buy that extended warranty... Perhaps Sam's doesn't feel the LG product is insurable for an extended warranty, while the more robust Samsung model is? 

Another interesting tidbit... I go to Best Buy, Staples, Fry's Electronics, Office Depot, Target and Walmart... I can never find a selection of "higher end' LG Bluetooth headsets....  I can find many other manufacture's... just not LG... I wonder why.  I can say that the AT&T store that I bought my most recent HBS-930, seems to have a large selection of LG models.  (While the multiple T-Mobile and Sprint stores did not)

Does that help a bit more than... "Give up the Ghost" ?

thank you for your time.
    SJTSNIX

This discussion has been closed.