LG Troubleshooting Guide - Xbox 4k @ 120Hz
1. If your LG TV is still experiencing video issues such as blacking out in 4K 120Hz mode, with the latest TV SW Version, you may need to check the following.
a. The HDMI cable needs to be a Ultra High Speed HDMI cable or just simply use the HDMI cable that comes with the Xbox Series X or S console.
b. Check the HDMI ports as some of the 2020 model has designated HDMI ports that support 4K 120Hz as shown in the table below:
2. For those who want to use AMD Freesync Premium, you can enable it @ All Settings >> Picture >> Additional Settings >> AMD FreeSync Premium as below.
Enabling AMD Freesync Premium will disable Dolby Vision as below.
You can choose Dolby Vision by disabling AMD Freesync Premium. However, it will be HDMI VRR instead of AMD Freesync Premium.
3. For those who want Dolby ATMOS audio through external audio systems (ie. sound bar or AVR) via ARC, you can improve audio delay by adjusting the following 2 options. (If eARC is supported by AVR or Soundbar)
① All Settings >> Sound >> Additional Settings >> Digital Sound Out >> Digital Sound Out : Pass Through
② All Settings >> Sound >> Additional Settings >> Digital Sound Out >> eARC On
4. [2020 OLED CX, GX, WX Series Only]
There will be just black screen when you switch color depth to 12 bits on 4K 120 output on current production TV SW V03.11.25 (As of today, Nov 12th 2020)
Please stay tune for next SW update. You will be able to enjoy in 4K120 VRR in 12 bit within a few weeks.
5. [ 2019 4K120 SUPPORTED MODEL ONLY ]
Once TV was updated to 4K 120 VRR supported TV SW listed in Table 1 above. (ie. V05.00.02 or V05.00.03), TV should be turned off about 8 ~ 10 mins while TV power cord is plugged in for updating HDMI chipset. Otherwise, you will see vertical black band or No Signal when launched game as shown in the image below.
[Image 2A. TV SW Updated to 05.00.03 still shows vertical black band]
[Image 2B. Vertical black band in random locations]
[Image 2C. No Signal upon launching Game with 4K120]
Vertical black band or No signal issues above can show up if HDMI chipset is not updated after TV SW update.
Please turn the TV off about 8-10 minutes with power cord plugged. Updating HDMI chipset will happen when TV is turned off. After 10 mins of TV being turned off, you will not be able to see that black vertical band again as shown in the image below.
[Image 2D. 4K120 video on OLED C9 TV SW V05.00.03 with HDMI chipset updated]