Skip to Content

My video game RF adapters show no picture, any ideas?

Ok so i moved 2 years ago and got a new tv. But I recently got my old LG hdtv from my old room at my parents house.

My video game RF adapters show no picture, any ideas?

Posted on 2018-07-08 21:47:58 TV/Audio/Video Accessories Vote Up0Vote Down
Ok so i moved 2 years ago and got a new tv. But I recently got my old LG hdtv from my old room at my parents house. I had about 16 video game consoles hooked up to it when i lived there and they worked perfect.

Flash forward to now. Any systems using composite or otherwise work just fine,  but not a single one of my RF related systems (Turbografx 16, Atari Jaguar, NES, etc...) show a picture. Just shows dark fuzz on the screen. I have a CRT tv and they work fine (but that tv had horrible lines on top, its basically just being used to test the systems now).

So my LG tv just cannot find any of the RF adapters, it seems. The tv has no cable or dtv hooked up to it. I am just using it for old systems and not to actually watch tv on it. I don't even have cable anyway.

I have tried:
- auto tuning with an RF plugged in
- manual tuning with an RF plugged in
- daisy chaining numerous RFs from a cable hookup in the wall (in case some signal came thru, it did not)
- changing from channel 3 or 4 
- tried different RF adapters as I have many for many consoles
- did an autotune with 5+ RFs, none found the systems, whether they were powered on or not.

The only thing thats different here and when I lived with my parents is that I had a cable box hooked up over there and here I don't. They all worked up to and including my moving day 2 years ago. I just can't figure it out. Any systems with av plugs work just fine.

Does anyone have any ideas that I haven't tried? My tv is an LG LCD and its around maybe 11 years old but looks great otherwise. Thank you!

2 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: My video game RF adapters show no picture, any ideas?

AlexanderAlexander LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-09-04 18:34:51 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @GrimmTrixX, Good day,

What type of adapters are you using? Do you get any message on your tv? Have you tried a game switch adapter? 
  • Reply Title Icon

RE: My video game RF adapters show no picture, any ideas?

GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Member
    Posted on 2018-09-06 21:00:39 Vote Up0Vote Down
    They are the standard RF cables that came with older systems. You screw them into the coaxial spot on the tv. Qhen I had it all hooked up at my parents house, every single system worked perfect. Then i moved, and plugged them all in after I moved into my apartment and now when i hook them up its just static and nothing else.

I tested it by adding an antenna to it that allows you to get tv channels and it made the stuff visible but still boticably static like. I noticed my upstairs neighbor has a TV above my Game room (when i take my dog for a walk you can see into part of the room). So I assume its some kind of interference. AV cables work fine for the systems I have that have those, but no RF adapters give me a signal. Its crazy annoying.