Skip to Content

How to use external mic w/V30

I'd like to use an external mic with the V30.

How to use external mic w/V30

Posted on 2017-11-18 19:45:38 Cell Phones Vote Up0Vote Down
I'd like to use an external mic with the V30. Mainly, I want to use a directional mic (cardioid) rather than an omnidirectional mic (what's built-in) so it only picks up the speaker and not every noise in the room. (Lots of lav mics are omnis.)

Also, are there any specs published for the mic input on the V30? Can it select between Mic and Line input levels? 

Has anybody had success using an external mic other than an omni lav mic?

15 REPLIES

• Reply Title Icon

RE: How to use external mic w/V30

digloodigloo Member
    Posted on 2017-11-19 05:20:13 Vote Up0Vote Down
    The problem isn't a lack of microphones to choose from. It's a lack of devices that say they ACTUALLY WORK WITH V30's.

For example, I've got a splitter that works fine with three different iOS devices (not iPhones), and it does not work with the V30 -- the headphones work, just not the mic. So I'm not inclined to believe that a mic that works with an iPhone is going to work with the V30 unless somebody specifically says, "I tried it and it works great!" These products do not.

The fact is, there's this bunch of incredible audio stuff built into the V30 that helps boost its price, and the only thing they talk about using with it are $300 headphones. I'm not looking for headphones, and I honestly don't have the resources to buy one of every available mic and try it out.

Oh, and most humans over 22 cannot hear frequencies above around 14 kHz. So super-high-end headphones are a niche product with a limited useful lifetime.

Anyway, I'm not making videos. I want to record interviews. Audio, not video. That typically involves a lav mic, and usually two of them (one for each person), as you don't want to record from several feet away (you'll get a lot of room noise that way).

All we seem to have available are three built-in mics and zero discussion of how to plug in something to get better (more directional) sound quality with less ambient room noise.

This device has better audio electronics in it that standalone recorders that cost $300. 

I've got a $500 binaural microphone device that I can't use with this because it also can't accept 2-channel (stereo) external microphones. Go figure.

What's the point of putting super-high-end audio chips into a device and then forcing people to use crappy omnidirectional built-in mics for everything? I guess they figured people would only use it to download and play stuff from elsewhere?
  • Reply Title Icon

efeinblattefeinblatt Member
    Posted on 2017-12-28 16:26:09 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Having the same issue. Have tried 4 different mic setups including binaural and Sennheiser wireless and none of them work! Would really like to know if there are actually any external mics that work with this phone.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2017-12-29 16:54:15 Vote Up5Vote Down
    OK. I've done some more research - by actually speaking with LG tech support. You can only use a mic that's connected through the USB -C power port NOT the headphone jack. The only one that I've seen tested is the Blue Snowball mic - there are 2 videos on YouTube. Need to get a USB A to USB C converter in order for those USB mics to work. Wondering if the Rode NT-USB mic works. Dunno. There is also the option of getting a USB C to 3.5 headphone jack converter and using mics that have a headphone jack connection, but there are several of them on the market - Google makes one for the Pixel 2, for instance, and I don't know which ones will work. That's a direction I'd like to take to be able to use my Senheisser wireless mikes and AKG Cardiod. Specs, by the way are in this article: https://www.androidauthority.com/lg-v30-audio-797447/
    stf7
  • Reply Title Icon

stf7stf7 Power User
    Posted on 2017-12-30 15:16:39 Vote Up0Vote Down
    efeinblatt: I think what we need is LG Engineering to create a FAQ re: Audio recording, and recommend compatible devices which will accept the kind of microphones you are talking about. I do see numerous USB-C to 3.5mm audio connectors, but the question is, would they work as you need them to. If LG Engineering could provide guidance, it would be welcome by many. 
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2018-01-03 22:28:16 edited January 2018 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Evidently, a TRS to TRRS cable works with a RODE Videomicro. This is through the headphone port - not the USB-C port,  contrary to LG's tech recommendation. Soundshere: Listen to LGV30 Rode Videomicro Test by mchammond #np on #SoundCloud
    stf7
  • Reply Title Icon

stf7stf7 Power User
    Posted on 2018-01-04 00:03:03 Vote Up0Vote Down
    TRS stands for Tip/Ring/Sleeve, and TRRS stands for Tip/Ring/Ring/Sleeve?
    I'm glad you posted this! Audio sounds really good!
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2018-01-04 00:39:04 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Yep for definitions of TRS and TRRS. Looked also at some HiFi sites, and this does seem to be the best route to take DESPITE what LG tech person told me. To play it safe, I would order the cable that is made by Rode. The specs would be correct.
  • Reply Title Icon

stf7stf7 Power User
    Posted on 2018-01-04 18:54:19 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Well, are you absolutely sure that the microphone input is handled by the audio processing hardware in the same way as it would be if the microphone input came from the USB-C connection? I've seen some USB-C connectors with essentially sound processing electronics on the adapter.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2018-01-04 19:10:48 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I think this is the most important question to ask. However, on the HiFi sites I checked out, where people were using $1000 monitor headphones, they were going through the headphone port. I am close to springing for the TRS to TRRS cable, but I would like confirmation from LG.
  • Reply Title Icon

stf7stf7 Power User
    Posted on 2018-01-04 20:04:29 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Yes, you've done the heavy lifting. If it were me (I have an LG V30 and am curious), I would go to the Chat/Email support URL here: 
    http://www.lg.com/us/support/chat-and-email-information

This is such a specific technical question, that I think I'd use the email option, and upfront, I'd indicate you want your support request to go the the product engineering department specifically for the V30. I'd also recommend in your email that they should create an entry in their Manuals and Downloads section for the V30. Like an Application note for Hi-Fidelity Record and Playback, it should describe the method you discovered using a TRS to TRRS cable. But it should also describe advantage / disadvantage / method to use the USB-C input.

I'm inclined to think the headphone output via the TRRS connector is going to be Hi-Fi, but the microphone input?

FWIW: I disagree with digloo in that I believe it's been proven for some people (young), given the right conditions, human perception of sound extends BELOW 20Hz, and well above 20KHz. 
  • Reply Title Icon

sharonvieirasharonvieira Member
    Posted on 2018-02-06 07:51:53 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I hope somebody can help me  I had a Iphone7+ but I was having issues with it so now i got the LG V30  and i loved singing on the smule  singing app it was great with the Iphone but now i cant find a mic or ear buds that work to there i hear my self singing  please if anyone can help please email me  tommyandsharonvieira@gmail.com
    Im sad I suffer with endometriosis and singing is my past time fun 
    :'( 

Thank you
    Sharon Vieira
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2018-02-06 15:53:04 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Have bought - and used successfully on a variety of microphones - the Rode TRS-TRSS adapter. Haven't tried going through the USB-C power port, but this will work as well according to all the tests I've looked at. LG did say that both solutions work, but I never got a reply from an engineer saying that the quality was equivalent, though the recordings I'm getting through the headphone port have been excellent.
  • Reply Title Icon

stf7stf7 Power User
    Posted on 2018-02-06 17:44:37 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @efeinblatt - thanks for reporting back. I'm thinking if someone goes the USB-C route, there has to be some electronics in the interface.

• Reply Title Icon

snavensnaven Member
    Posted on 2018-04-01 21:33:31 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Okay guys, have just inserted a Dayton Audio IMM-6 microphone into my v30 (headphone port), works perfectly. Using the HD-Audio Recorder Tool from LG, two things happen on insertion of mic, tiny icon on top of screen registering that something has been plugged into headphone port (no biggy here), but more importantly on the actually recording page, a message pops up saying the recording will be recorded through the external mic. On testing to ensure that it is actually recording correctly, there was a huge difference in playback quality between internal mic and external mic. Internal mic recording was very tinny, while the external recording was very clean and crisp and sounded natural. So the external mic is working ..... hope this helps