Skip to Content

Annoying message pops up on my TV

The words “unknown device is disconnected.” keeps popping up on my tv every few minutes or so.

Annoying message pops up on my TV

Posted on 2018-07-22 14:19:04 4K Ultra HD TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
The words “unknown device is disconnected.” keeps popping up on my tv every few minutes or so. It’s been  doing it more ever since I updadated my tv and it’s really driving me crazy. Anyone know the solution to this? 

15 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Annoying message pops up on my TV

AlexanderAlexander LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-08-31 20:36:39 Vote Up-40Vote Down
    @Bernie110, Good day,

Have you identified what connection is causing this error? do you have multiple electronics connected to your TV? If so, try using it with one of them disconnected and every 15 minutes rotate the product that is disconnected. Once identified, ensure its properly connected, try using different ports and / or cables to confirm if its the TV port, the cable or the product its connected to.

If the above does not solve the issue, you can try a factory reset.

If that still does not fix the issue please let us know your model number and the software version you are currently running so it can be escalated.
    bruno_spoonAlonso_RomanBernie110waynerileyspud14901TonyCaseyShipSTGgiganova
  • Reply Title Icon

kiltinistakiltinista Member
    Posted on 2018-11-25 02:33:49 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Same error message.
    The only thing attached to my tv is the cable box. 
    This started up about a month ago. I am trying to stream amazon and it will not connect. 
    I am thinking that these are related.
    my disconnect with amazon started at the same time.
    LG webOS TV UJ6300
    Bernie110Pissed_Off
  • Reply Title Icon

bruno_spoonbruno_spoon Member
    Posted on 2018-11-26 01:41:15 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I Have the same issue on a 65UJ6300. In my case the wireless card has completely stopped working and I'm pretty sure that's the hardware the OS fails to recognize. This message has been plaguing my TV to the point it's annoying to watch anything. LG needs to address this notification issue, I don't care if my TV doesn't have wireless anymore, I can live with the wired connection but get rid of the notifications! 
    Bernie110
  • Reply Title Icon

Alonso_RomanAlonso_Roman Member
    Posted on 2018-12-09 05:04:54 edited December 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have the same issue described above on LG webOS TV UJ6300. Not wireless (doesn't find any wireless network), and insistent pop-up messages saying “unknown device is disconnected.”I tried everything Alexander said, but didn`t work either. I tried factory reset and still have the problem. 
    Model LG webOS TV UJ6300
    WebOS version 3.8.0-61202
    Software Version 05.80.02
    Bernie110Pissed_Off
  • Reply Title Icon

steddydawgsteddydawg Member
    Posted on 2018-12-09 17:17:56 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Mine is doing the same thing. Ready to throw it out the window. Not impressed with LG. It is just over 1 year old. I also get a “wired connection disconnected” and Hulu will then stop. Happens over and over and over again. Frustrating when trying to watch a show or sports. Have turned off the TV WiFi and still happening. 
    todd210908Bernie110Pissed_Off
  • Reply Title Icon

todd210908todd210908 Member
    Posted on 2018-12-13 22:52:25 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I am having the exact same issue I have nothing physically connected to the TV other than an Ethernet cable it displays a unknown device disconnected and Hulu and wired connection keeps disconnecting plus my remote is acting flakey the TV is a UJ7700 running 05.80.04 version of the software.
    Bernie110
  • Reply Title Icon

tboudrottboudrot Member
    Posted on 2018-12-14 16:23:36 Vote Up20Vote Down
    This issue is well documented on various Internet sites.  The issue -- unknown device is disconnected -- along with flaky remote controller behavior and the TV's inability to recognize wireless networks are all related and experienced by many people.  I called LG tech support two weeks ago and the service agent claimed no awareness of the issue.  Very disappointing since many people have reported it to LG tech support and only a few have been able to resolve it through warranty channels.  The older the TV, the less likelihood you'll have in getting warranty service.

The issue appears to be related to the wifi board in the TV itself.  Some individuals experiencing the issue have had that board replaced and a few report success while others do not.  Since I use the wifi capability of the TV to watch Netflix and Amazon Prime, the TV is now useless to me as it can't access the wireless network.  
    Bernie110spud14901cmick53DUDALE
  • Reply Title Icon

Bernie110Bernie110 Member
    Posted on 2018-12-20 11:27:35 Vote Up5Vote Down

I just wanted to give an update on what’s happened since the last time I posted on here. I apologize in advance on the length of this post but I want to go into full detail on what a poor job LG is doing in the concern of resolving the issues with my television. The last six months have been hell regarding LG “repairing” my television. The’ve attempted to repair my television twice within the last six months with both results being the same. The first time they attempted to fix it was in late July everything was fine for a few days but I would soon receive the same notification “Unknown device is disconnected” on my television and my tv would shut down and turn back on by itself. I contacted them again in late August or early September concerning the issue and they said they would send the technician out to attempt to repair it again. The technician arrived two weeks later but was unable to work on the television because LG sent him the exact same part they sent him the last time and he said it was useless, so he drove an hour to my city for nothing. I contacted LG again and told them that I was not happy and that they needed to resolve this problem quickly. They said the part needed to fix my television was unavailable and would not be back in stock until the last week of October, a full month from when I contacted them. I waited a full month for the part to become available. Finally the final week of October came and the technician came back to attempt to fix the television again. Once again, it was fine for a few days and then I would have the exact same issues again. I’ve contacted LG numerous times and asked for a reimbursement but the’ve only given me the runaround and stated that the television needs to be attempted to be fixed three times before reimbursement can be taken into consideration. The final straw came a few days ago. I called the repair company that’s been working on my television and they said that they no longer offered their services to my city because it’s too far for them to drive here now. I contacted LG once again and told them about this and they said they would find another company within my area that specializes in repairing my television. A day after that, I received a text from LG stating that they had set up an appointment with another company to come fix my television. Lo and behold, it was the exact same company that said they didn’t come to my city anymore. I called the repair company just to confirm. They said LG made an error and they would contact LG. LG cancelled my appointment. I spoke with LG a day ago and told them to either reimburse me or that I was going to take legal action. They asked me to be patient and that they were looking for another alternative. They said that there appeared to be no one around me who specializes in repairing my television but that they were making a great attempt to find one. 

I’ve never in my life been so displeased and dissatisfied with a company in my entire life and that’s not an exaggeration. I once was a strong supporter of the LG brand and have even recommended their products to family and friends and most of them have purchased their products based on my endorsement. I will no longer purchase a single product from LG ever again for as long as I live and will strongly discourage anyone else from doing so based on the experience I’ve had with them for the past six months and I will most likely be taking them to court as I feel that they will never resolve this issue on their end. 

Pissed_Offspud14901TonyCasey
  • Reply Title Icon

tboudrottboudrot Member
    Posted on 2018-12-20 23:28:30 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Bernie110 -

Thanks for your diligence in keeping this forum thread alive.  I share your disappointment about LG's inability to come up with a solution.  Knowing the steps you've gone through are helpful even though you've not had any success.

In combing the Internet today regarding the issue, a new post was discovered on the CNET.COM forums (https://www.cnet.com/forums/discussions/unknown-device-is-disconnected-lg-tvs-solved/).  The word "solved" caught my eye.  I've pasted the post below (yeah there's a bit of voodoo in the possible fix ... but the steps are certainly easy to replicate).  I plan to give it a try today and I'll post back with the results.

----------------------------------------------------------

ALERT:  unknown device is disconnected LG TVs solved
    BY projectordude | DECEMBER 19, 2018 6:13 AM PST

Pesky unknown device is disconnected message on LG TVs ,To fix it just switch to in store mode and then shut off all in store demo stuff in store mode sub menu , I have laptop and cable connected as well as using the LG tuner off air all work .message gone

• Reply Title Icon

Pissed_OffPissed_Off Member
    Posted on 2018-12-29 11:27:23 Vote Up5Vote Down
    "unknown device" message and does not see my wi-fi ...... Piece of **** **** TV
    cmick53
  • Reply Title Icon

waynerileywayneriley Member
    Posted on 2018-12-29 16:35:53 Vote Up0Vote Down
    My TV worked perfectly fine until a recent software update and since then I have been getting the dreaded Unknown device disconnected & wired connection disconnected. The magic remote will stop working but if I use the SKY remote it works????
    Has there been a fix for this issue yet?
    Model: 65UJ750V-ZB
    WEB OS TV VERSION: 3.8.0-61106 (dreadlocks2-dunggir)

• Reply Title Icon

masterne0masterne0 Member
    Posted on 2018-12-30 05:43:53 edited December 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I am just getting this today. WIFI also broken (hasn't worked) and have tried resetting it, cleaning ports, removing all cables but power, and it running the latest firmware update.

The TV more then a year old, i never had a TV failed a year like this before. This is ridiculous. LG needs to address this problem. Only way to get around this issue is set it to STORE mode but then you can't save any custom settings (it resets itself in a loop in store mode after a few minutes but then you can TURN OFF NOTIFICATIONS IN STORE MODE)
  • Reply Title Icon

AngryGingerAngryGinger Member
    Posted on 2018-12-31 16:41:30 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have this same issue. I have been through 2 different service repair companies, 3 Main board replacements, 2 WiFi replacements, and a power module replacement.  It works for about 10 days then the message comes back.  

The 2nd repair company came back and said that they found this forum and this should fix the issue. THIS IS NOT A FIX!!   This is a band-aid. A cheap band-aid that doesn't stick well!!!  

LG Needs to fix this!!!
  • Reply Title Icon

spud14901spud14901 Member
    Posted on 2019-01-01 15:05:33 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I have a 60UJ6300-UA model. The TV stopped being able to find my wireless network or any other after the last firmware update. . I moved the Router to within 25 feet and still no wireless. The  messages on the screen are driving me crazy. Right now it connects to the Internet with wire. I have owned many LG products over the past 15+ years but this is the last LG product. I still have over two months left on the 1 year warranty but I am not going through the aggravation most people have on this and other sites. I am going out next week and buying another brand. I will never purchase another LG product.
    Bond
  • Reply Title Icon

silentmeowsilentmeow Member
    Posted on 2019-01-03 12:48:39 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Putting the tv in store mode gets rid of the annoying message of unknown device is disconnected.