Skip to Content

Excess water collection

I own 2 identical LP1311BXR's, purchased at the same time.

Excess water collection

Posted on 2018-08-18 18:56:55 Portable Vote Up0Vote Down
I own 2 identical LP1311BXR's, purchased at the same time. In hot humid weather, One runs constantly and works perfectly while the other will shut down with a full water tank with error FL every four hours or so, and will be fine again after draining the tank.  If I remove the drain plug and let it drip into a container while running, it produces very little water at all. I'm thinking there is a problem internally. Any thoughts?

Best Answer

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Excess water collection

Posted on 2018-08-21 21:48:29 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi.

I talked to the AC expert.  He said filling every four hours is pretty fast.  His first question was, is the tank actually full when you get the FL code?  If the tank doesn't seem full enough for the FL code to be correct, it may be triggering FL incorrectly.

If it's actually filling each time, he said it could fill that quickly if it's very hot in that area.  From one room to the next, he said if the sun hits the one room harder than the other (maybe one room is a basement and the other is living room with a big bay window), it could possibly explain why one does it and the other doesn't.

The reason is that the cooling system is extremely cold at the point where the fan blows, and if the room is very hot, it will cause that area of the coil to continuously defrost, letting the condensed water fall into the fill tank.

If the rooms are fairly similar to each other, and the tank seems full when you get the FL code, he said your best bet is to contact Customer Service and have a technician come take a look.  He said, based on the symptoms, it may be as simple as a sensor not functioning normally, but hard to tell without running tests.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
    ~Ryan

6 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RyanRyan Administrator
    Posted on 2018-08-19 15:30:24 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi.

Is it possible there’s more moisture in that area of the house?

I would try running the two side by side (or at least in the same place at different times) to see if they still behave differently.

Let me know what you find, and I’ll follow up with our appliance experts to get some input.

Thanks,
    ~Ryan
  • Reply Title Icon

BassetdaddyBassetdaddy Member
    Posted on 2018-08-19 17:51:18 Vote Up0Vote Down
    No... I'm fairly confident that the relative humidity/dew points of our area are not different from one room to the next...
  • Reply Title Icon

RyanRyan Administrator
    Posted on 2018-08-19 18:05:18 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi.

I know it seems odd, but here’s a post where the humidity was different from one room to another, and the answers have some reasons why that may happen.

I think it’s at least worth doing the test.  Or, just swap the units and see if the same unit continues to collect more moisture.  

Logically, if the bucket is getting filled, the water has to come from somewhere.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/4555265/excess-humidity-in-one-room-of-new-build-home

Thanks,
    ~Ryan
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2018-08-20 00:00:30 edited August 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I'll check that humidity... but I'm more interested as to why more water accumulates with the drain cap on (full every 4 hours) than with the cap off (maybe a pint in 3 days)... with no variations in the ambient air.
  • Reply Title Icon

RyanRyan Administrator
    Posted on 2018-08-20 17:20:38 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi.

I'm sorry, I had it in my mind that these were dehumidifiers, but I see I was wrong and they're A/C units.  On LG.com I noticed your A/Cs have a dehumidifier function built-in though.  The listed dehumidifier rate is 3.2 pints / hour.

Is one possibly in Dry Mode (dehumidifier) and the other in Fan or Cool?
    If you don't want the dehumidifier function, switch the mode to Cool or Fan.

If using Dry Mode, the recommendation is to remove the drain cap and connect a small rubber drain hose (10mm inner diameter) from the drain to somewhere the water can collect (maybe a sink or bucket).

If you want Dry mode, try the recommended hose method above.  If you continue to get FL too often using the recommended method, the unit may need to be inspected by a technician.

Let me know what happens with the hose attached!

Thanks,
    ~Ryan
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2018-08-20 23:43:42 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Both units are running on cool (AC), both fan settings on 4, both temps on 70. Again, everything is identical... one unit chugs along with no problem and the other will shut down on error "FL" every four hours or so... unless I take the drain cap off and let the condensate drain into a large bucket, in which case it barely accumulates at all. This can't be normal and, to me, indicates a problem with releasing the excess humidity through the exhaust hose.