Skip to Content

White shadow

I'm experiencing white vertical shadowing (that's the best way I can describe it). ie.

White shadow

Posted on 2018-09-17 21:02:56 4K Ultra HD TVs Vote Up0Vote Down

I'm experiencing white vertical shadowing (that's the best way I can describe it). ie. when a movie show its credit on the black screen at the end of its show, the white words cast a vertical shadow. I can see it in the movies too. A scene in a movie I was watching on Netflix last night; the actor was driving downtown at night on a major highway and every street light he past cast a slight vertical beam of light from top to bottom of the TV. Did I screw up my settings. I have to admit I was playing around with the settings...but I don't know where I when wrong. Can anyone help?

3 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: White shadow

sanmisanmi Administrator, LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-09-19 16:26:25 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    Hi @wcthunder there are some things we can do:

If your TV is 2016/2017 Oled TVs, lets run a PICTURE COMPENSATION.
    • Open Settings, select Picture, navigate to OLED PANEL SETTINGS and select CLEAR PIXEL REFRESHER
    • This process will take about 1hr 30 mins to complete and your TV will be turned off while it runs.
    NOTE:
    1. If the TV has been ON for more than 4 hours, compensation mode will run automatically when the TV is powered OFF.
    2. If your TV is turned ON or power is lost while clearing panel noise, the process  will stop and have to start again
    3. At the end of the processing, white lines appears and moved from top to bottom. This is normal behavior. 

If your TV is 2015 Oled TVs
    • Navigate to SETTINGS, select ADVANCED, go to GENERAL and select HOME/STORE MODE. Then chose STORE MODE.
    • Turn TV off for picture compensation process. Once the tv has performed the picture compensation process, change back to HOME MODE
    NOTE:
    1. This process takes 10 - 15 minutes to perform
    2. The TV will perform this picture compensation every time the TV is turned off if you leave it in STORE MODE.
    wcthunder
  • Reply Title Icon

wcthunderwcthunder Member
    Posted on 2018-09-20 16:21:50 Vote Up0Vote Down

thanks for trying to help. I don't have an OLED TV. I have a LG 55" SUHD TV, Model 55sk8000PUA. Last night I tried the YouTube 4k video test and it looked beautiful with full of cores. However, it didn't show any credits or black and images for me to test my TV's issue. It looks like someone behind the screen a flashlight shinning it thru a black curtain. the white is too bright and the black is not black enough to block the excess light.

• Reply Title Icon

AhmedLGAhmedLG Member
    Posted on 2018-10-03 21:02:38 edited October 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hello wcthunder,

I recommend turning the backlight setting on your TV down and seeing if that helps you. It sounds to me like the backlight is turned up too high, and this should help address this issue. 

1. Go to Settings > Picture > Picture Mode Settings > Backlight.
    2. Lower the backlight and see if that resolves your issue.
    If you continue to experience issues after this, I recommend factory resetting the TV. If that does not work you should try calling LG customer support directly for more troubleshooting options.

Thanks,

-Ahmed