Skip to Content

USB hub and display itself disconnect when coming from power saving mode - USB-C

Hi, I just bought an LG 27UK850-W for use with my Dell XPS 15 9560.

USB hub and display itself disconnect when coming from power saving mode - USB-C

Posted on 2018-09-21 11:18:23 edited September 2018 4K / 5K Monitors Vote Up0Vote Down
Hi,

I just bought an LG 27UK850-W for use with my Dell XPS 15 9560.
My reason for buying this monitor is that I want to be able to do everything over a single USB-C cable: charging my laptop, connecting the display, my mouse, keyboard, backup drive and USB audio DAC.

There is however, one huge problem:
When my display dims (after 30 mins of inactivity, or when locking my computer), the display enters power saving mode, as expected. At this point, everything still works fine. The USB audio keeps on playing, my backup drive is still mounted, I can still wake up the screen by moving the USB mouse connected to the monitor's USB hub, etc.
And that's where the problems start:
When the display wakes up, it disconnects.    Everything.   The USB audio stops playing and starts popping, my external hard drive is disconnected without safely removing it, my keyboard and mouse don't work, and for some time, only my laptop's display is active, so all my windows that I had layout on the LG monitor move to my built-in laptop display ...
After a few seconds, everything starts to connect again, audio starts playing again, the AutoPlay for my drive opens, it shows my desktop on the LG monitor, etc. It also messes up the audio configuration.

This behavior makes the USB hub completely useless, and having all my windows move to my laptop's display is extremely annoying.

I have tried this on both Windows 10 and Ubuntu 16.04.
My monitor software is up to date, according to the OnScreen Control application.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?
You pay a lot of extra money for the USB-C connectivity, but it just doesn't work as it should.
Should I return the monitor and get a cheaper one and a Dell Docking Station?

Thanks,
Pieter
Tagged:

4 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: USB hub and display itself disconnect when coming from power saving mode - USB-C

HamieHamie Member, LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-11-29 15:10:09 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hello tttapa,

Would you like to email LG?

Thank you.
  • Reply Title Icon

RE: USB hub and display itself disconnect when coming from power saving mode - USB-C

sylverbearsylverbear Member
    Posted on 2018-12-21 15:13:48 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi tttapa,
    I have a similar issue with the same monitor did you ever find a way to solve your problem?
    Thanks
  • Reply Title Icon

markltownsendmarkltownsend Member
    Posted on 2019-05-06 17:31:22 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I sent the LG Support an email as suggested in this thread.  What I go in response was basically a form response to say that I should just send it in for repair.  At this point, I am over my 12 months warranty and I don't want to have to pay for a repair that has been there since I bought it.
  • Reply Title Icon

FlashGenFlashGen Member
    Posted on 2019-06-20 17:08:43 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I don't believe this is a fault. I have 2 of these monitors (arrived less than 48 hours ago) and both exhibit this quirk. Great monitors too - never owned any by LG before.

However, I digress.  This should be easy to rectify with a simple firmware update if LG are so inclined…