Skip to Content

No media detected - GH22NS50 ATA Device

Hi My DVD drive does not detect any media in the drive.  I have tried both music and data disks.  I have uninstalled the driver and let the system reinstall from a reboot.  The drawer opens and closes properly but I don't hear the drive spinning the way I think it used to do.  Does anyone know if this is simply a dead drive or is there anything I should try?

No media detected - GH22NS50 ATA Device

Posted on 2018-11-18 14:26:26 edited November 2018 Burners & Drives Vote Up0Vote Down

Hi

My DVD drive does not detect any media in the drive.  I have tried both music and data disks.  I have uninstalled the driver and let the system reinstall from a reboot.  The drawer opens and closes properly but I don't hear the drive spinning the way I think it used to do.  Does anyone know if this is simply a dead drive or is there anything I should try?

Les

Tagged:

1 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: No media detected - GH22NS50 ATA Device

AlexanderAlexander LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-11-20 16:04:13 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @lesrobb, Good day,

I would start by cleaning the drive with compressed air, second, when you insert a disc, see if you can look up underneath where the disc sits on the turntable. Observe the laser lens going up and down. The unit won't spin unless the laser has properly focused on the surface of the disc.

If the unit spins up and and then shuts down, you should check and make sure the laser pick-up assembly slider mechanism is working without any obstructions and that the small chrome rail that it slides on is slightly greased.

If the disc starts to spin slowly and doesn’t come up to speed, the spindle motor that’s attached to the turntable platter is a common problem.

If you are unable to get it to work, or need additional support, we may need to have a tech inspect the unit. 
    https://www.lg.com/us/support/repair-service/schedule-repair-us