Skip to Content

LG 65UK6090PUA 4K TV - Optical Audio issues - problem with AUTO 5.1 output

I just purchased this TV (65UK6090PUA v3.01) as an early Black Friday deal from Best Buy this week. Got it home and set it all up.

LG 65UK6090PUA 4K TV - Optical Audio issues - problem with AUTO 5.1 output

Posted on 2018-11-27 03:06:51 4K Ultra HD TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
I just purchased this TV (65UK6090PUA v3.01) as an early Black Friday deal from Best Buy this week. Got it home and set it all up. Started noticing significant pops and cut-outs from the optical audio out to my receiver. Troubleshooted and tried another optical cable. No improvement. I have worked as an AV installer in the past, so I'm pretty savvy with these kinds of installations. But all was to no avail, so, I concluded it was just a bad optical port and pulled the TV back down and boxed it up and exchanged it that same night I got it.

But, I got the second one up and installed, and--the exact same problem happened again. So, I realized it would be unlikely to get two bad ones in a row (though maybe it could happen). I then tested with a third, brand new, optical cable. Same problem. So, I'm not sure what I should do--if it might be a firmware fix coming, or if it's indeed a hardware problem.

I had the same exact set-up with our older Vizio TV (mind you we now own all LG TV's-- 2 that are 4K models and 2 HD--I really do love the image they create) and we never experienced any signal issues with its optical audio out--so I know the receiver is intact.  And, to help suggest it may be a firmware issue--the problem only exists when I set the optical to AUTO which sends 5.1 surround from sources such as our Cox Contour box, but it's also a problem from the internal Netflix app. However, if I switch to PCM optical, there are zero issues other than the fact that I can only get stereo output from the PCM option--so the hardware seems intact. I would really love to get surround 5.1 channels when they are available via any source or internal app source chosen--and I would love to use the optical port as I have an older surround receiver and I connect all my sources direct to the TV. This way one optical will cover all sources connected to the TV sent to one receiver optical input.

LG, can you look into this and see if it's a problem that can be duplicated on other models or on this one specifically? I have noticed the same kind of problem, though much more rare on my other LG 4K 50" I bought last year (UH6100 v05.30.25). Once in a while the 5.1 will click or pop or cut out for just a moment.  But, it's much more apparent on this new one I just bought. It's a very consistent problem.

Anyone else have this issue? Any solutions?

If no help, I am looking at buying an inexpensive HDMI ARC audio extractor which converts the ARC audio to a separate optical output. However, I'm not sure if that would be the right solution for my input output needs.

4 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: LG 65UK6090PUA 4K TV - Optical Audio issues - problem with AUTO 5.1 output

tvannattatvannatta Member
    Posted on 2018-12-12 20:00:22 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have the same issue on my 70UK6570PUB early Black Friday deal TV.  Optical audio produces drop outs and pops and cracks. I posted a similar plea for help a few days ago in this forum.  I also tried numerous optical cables, etc, but I still have the same experience. 

I was thinking of 1) swapping out my tv with the same model free of charge from Bestbuy 2) Asking LG to perform a repair or 3) upgrading my receiver so that the cable, streaming box, BluRay player all connect to the new receiver via HDMI, and then there is 1 single HDMI out to the TV (so 5.1 sound goes directly from the source to the receiver, and the LG TV just picks up the video signal).   Thoughts on those options? Did you get any other insight on your issue?
  • Reply Title Icon

janbenaljanbenal Member
    Posted on 2019-02-23 13:06:32 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have the same problem too (49SK8500PLA).  Pops on optical out to a Yamaha Receiver when set to auto.  Set to PCM and it doesn't happen but then you don't get 5.1 sound.
    Also noticed that if sound output is set to HDMI ARC the sound is also output through the optical port (I don't even have an HDMI cable plugged in!).  I have this set to Auto and so far the audio pops are not happening (yet).

Did anyone get a response from LG on this yet?
  • Reply Title Icon

janbenaljanbenal Member
    Posted on 2019-02-24 14:12:19 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Many online comments seem to point to a conflict or issue with these TV's and certain AV receivers - particularly older receivers.  My AV receiver is a Yamaha RX-V2700, it is in very good condition and has no apparent issues with any other inputs but is over 10 years old.  It does seem plausible that there could be such a conflict with the 5.1 output of the TV and older receiver inputs.
  • Reply Title Icon

brewbarronbrewbarron Member
    Posted on 2019-12-02 21:01:27 Vote Up0Vote Down
    The solution is to turn off Dolby Atmos in the sounds settings menu. After doing that everything seemed to work fine.