Skip to Content

LG C8 and Google Home Hub

Hi, We recently purchased the LG C8 and a Google Home Hub.  Using the smart remote we can change channels/inputs using the Google Assistant.  I created an account with the SmartThinQ app on an iPhone, logged in to the account on our TV under the "Setup for Google Assistant".  (followed the online instructions https://www.lg.com/us/support/works-with-google-alexa-voice-assistant) With Google Assistant from our phones and the Home Hub we can turn the TV off and change the volume, but we cannot change the channel like we can from the remote.

LG C8 and Google Home Hub

Posted on 2018-11-29 16:33:17 LG ThinQ Vote Up0Vote Down
Hi,
We recently purchased the LG C8 and a Google Home Hub.  Using the smart remote we can change channels/inputs using the Google Assistant.  I created an account with the SmartThinQ app on an iPhone, logged in to the account on our TV under the "Setup for Google Assistant".  (followed the online instructions https://www.lg.com/us/support/works-with-google-alexa-voice-assistant) With Google Assistant from our phones and the Home Hub we can turn the TV off and change the volume, but we cannot change the channel like we can from the remote.

In Google Assistant if we "Ask LG" to "show my devices" it says "None of your TV is connected to Google Assistant with LG.  Please register your TV."  I have double checked that our TV is logged in to our SmartThinQ account and that the account is linked in google assistant.  Is there anything else I should check?

Thanks.

1 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: LG C8 and Google Home Hub

venkman781venkman781 Member
    Posted on 2018-12-11 21:46:53 edited December 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I had issues getting my Google Home Mini to work correctly with my LG C8. I'm still not 100% sure if I set it up correctly, but currently I seem to be able to give the same commands to the Home Mini that I can with the Magic Remote.  IMO, the user experience and integration of Google Assistant could use more polish and the instructions are not quite clear on how to get this to work on the current LG TVs. Otherwise, new owners of 2018 TV models like me are going to end up having to scour these forums and elsewhere to find answers.

Here’s how I managed to get my Home Mini to work it to work, but results may vary…

Some context first: If you go to the Support page for Google Assistant and Alexa you linked, Step 5 of the Getting Started instructions explains that there are different account linking processes for Google Home and Google Assistant. This is because there are two types of Actions (Direct and Conversation) that are supported by LG appliances. HOWEVER, if you navigate to the FAQ tab and read question 2, it says that the LG C8 and other TVs do not support Direct Action commands. I’m not sure why it says this, as you can do some basic commands thanks to the LG SmartThinQ linked account.

You have to invoke the "Ask LG" Conversation Command, which the Google Home app doesn't register without first linking your Google Assistant account to LG (note: different from SmartThinQ). I downloaded the Google Assistant app to my iPhone and linked it to my LG account using this link: https://assistant.google.com/services/a/id/060e3700ab13660d

Once I had set up the TV with the LG account, added my SmartThinQ account to Google Home app and added the LG service to the Google Assistant account, I could start giving more complex commands (e.g. Hey Google, talk to LG to change to game mode on TV) via my Home mini.

If any mods are reading this... It would be awesome if LG would improve the integration to simplify it and make it so you can ditch the “Ask LG” commands. Plus, while they are at it, they could add support for voice commands to change to all picture modes on the TV. The ISF picture modes are not currently supported by the Magic Remote or Google Assistant via Home Mini. Technicolor mode is, though...