Skip to Content

Water filter bad taste?

I recently purchased a fridge, the water filter that it came with has been in there since delivery in early October 2018.  I did the flushing of the water through the dispenser and also dumped the first few container of ice after they were filled.  My water and ice still don't taste filtered!  I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it.

Water filter bad taste?

Posted on 2018-12-04 15:11:35 Refrigerators Vote Up0Vote Down
I recently purchased a fridge, the water filter that it came with has been in there since delivery in early October 2018.  I did the flushing of the water through the dispenser and also dumped the first few container of ice after they were filled.  My water and ice still don't taste filtered!  I have uninstalled it and reinstalled it. Is anyone else having this problem?

7 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Water filter bad taste?

sanmisanmi Administrator, LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-12-04 16:39:34 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    Hello @BeckyH

I already addressed this issue one of our help library contents. There are other factors that may contribute to bad water taste and these are what you need to do:

LINK: https://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/CT10000021-1337887827042-bad-taste-odor-in-water-ice
    1. Remove odor.

Odors in the refrigerator's freezer or fresh food compartment may not be apparent, but it will still affect the smell and taste of water and ice.

• Clean the interior of the unit regularly.

• Always seal food containers tightly.

• Place boxes of BAKING SODA in both compartments for odor absorption. Do NOT use open containers of baking soda, which can allow the baking soda to be stirred up and circulated in the air. If baking soda circulates with the air flow, it may settle in the ice tray and affect the taste of the ice.

Baking Soda

2. Recently replaced the water lines.

If you recently replaced your water line, it may transfer an unfamiliar odor or taste to the water or ice. Different types of water lines can impart different odors and tastes, such as plastic, rubber, greasy, mint, or even chemical.

• Try dispensing 2 gallons of water to flush the line, then taste the water again.

• If the taste persist, pull the refrigerator out of power, turn OFF the water supply, and disconnect the water supply line from the refrigerator.

• Once disconnected, turn the water supply ON and check the taste of water from the line.

• If the water tastes good, reconnect the unit and proceed to next step below. However, if the taste is present directly from the water supply line, then that could be the cause.

water line

3. Replace filter every six months.

It is recommended that the water filter be replaced every six months or more often as needed. This can vary from household to household, depending on the frequency of use, water quality, and style of filter. If the water filter has not been replaced in the last 4-6 months, the water or ice may develop an unpleasant taste or odor.

Order Replacement Water Filter Here

Replace Water Dispenser

4. Water softeners.

If the water taste fine but the ice doesn’t, this is the result of water softeners in the water. Water softeners do not have taste in a liquid state, but when frozen the chemical properties of the softeners change. This is why ice can taste different than the water. This is not the result of the unit, but the softeners added to the water.

5. Stale water or ice.

If the unit is not used often, water will sit in the water lines and the reservoir. This will give the water a funny taste. Dispose off the first few glasses (2 gallons) and try again.

If ice is used infrequently, it can affect odor and taste of the food items in the unit. It may be necessary to dump the ice and allow more to be made. Make sure that food items are sealed properly and do not place food items in the ice bin.

6. Impurities from source.

If the tap water in the home has impurities that require removal prior to consumption, a water purifying system will be required. The water filter is only capable of improving the quality of already drinkable tap water.

If the tap water is consumable, the taste could be caused by the water supply lines to the refrigerator. Attempt to check the water supply line by disconnecting it and tasting the water from the source.

Water Valve

Request a repair.

If you performed all the troubleshooting steps above, and the issue still persist, the unit will require a repair service. Please visit our Request a Repair page.

BobD
  • Reply Title Icon

Mgordon1Mgordon1 Member
    Posted on 2018-12-18 20:56:41 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Yes! Our refrigerator is only 6 mo. old, haven't been able to use the ice/water because it just tastes bad. We haven't replaced our water line, the water from the main line tastes fine, so it's not the line. We unhooked our old fridge (which had no issues with water tasting bad in 10 years), hooked up our new fridge, bought 2 different filters, flushed gallons and gallons of water.... it still tastes bad. It HAS to be the fridge/tubing/ dispenser/? UGH!
    BobD
  • Reply Title Icon

gayleygayley Member
    Posted on 2018-12-26 03:34:18 Vote Up0Vote Down
    LG can tell you all about disconnecting and reconnecting the water line and everything else that doesnt seem to matter or be the problem. Had an LG fridge for 10 years great water but NOT with the LG filter that always tasted bad. Now i just purchased a new LG fridge and 2 new LG water filters (one having come with the fridge). The water is AWFUL both smell and taste it is not an air filter its brand new and its not a change in water line its exactly what ive been using. Presenly waiting for my new NON LG water filter to arrive. I am hopeful this will fix the water problem and I am sad LG water filters have such poor quality control.
  • Reply Title Icon

gayleygayley Member
    Posted on 2018-12-26 03:37:17 Vote Up0Vote Down
    P.s. Above LG says to use the request a repair form what on earth would this do other than continue to frustrate me and waste my time? Are you serious? LG you should simply be sending replacement filters to all that write in where is your customer service and why isn't it helping upset LG consumers??
  • Reply Title Icon

philt56philt56 Member
    Posted on 2019-04-01 20:24:58 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I also am experiencing bad water and ice taste on my new fridge a few weeks old (French door style). I have RO system as the water source, water tastes fine from the plastic tubing at the point of connection at the back. Are the reservoir and filter ( shouldn’t need it  since RO but I’ve tried with and without it installed)  used for ice too or just for water? Since both are affected, I’m not sure what else could be the issue? I also had the inlet valve replaced because it was leaking, taste is same before and after it was replaced. 

Not sure what what else can be done to affect the taste? The internal tubing from the valve to top of fridge?
    BobD
  • Reply Title Icon

BobDBobD Member
    Posted on 2019-08-18 17:12:48 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have the same exact problem, bad smell, cholrine taste.The old fridge had no problems with water quality. Same stainless steel water lines, same water, it must be an LG problem with the internal fridge plumbing.
  • Reply Title Icon

ckashyapckashyap Member
    Posted on 2019-08-23 19:22:11 Vote Up0Vote Down
    We purchased new LG French door 2 months ago and from first day the water and ice smelling so bad. LG tech came today and said the stainless steel hose is not recommended where as according to Best Buy the stainless Steel refrigerator water line kit is best. We have flushed 50 gallons of water , thrown couple of times ice cubes and replaced new water filter still bad odor will not go away. We are frustrated. The same waterline was used on old fridge for 17 yrs with no issues. Did we made a mistake purchasing LG French door refrigerator?