Skip to Content

LG 27UK850: All Desktop Windows Resized When Laptop Wakes from Sleep

Every time I wake my laptop from sleep, all my windows are resized to fit the laptop screen even though I have the LG 27UK850 set as my default display.  The LG monitor takes just a few seconds too long to wake up, so the desktop displays on the laptop for a second or two--just long enough to screw up my desktop arrangement.

LG 27UK850: All Desktop Windows Resized When Laptop Wakes from Sleep

Posted on 2018-12-14 19:46:02 4K / 5K Monitors Vote Up0Vote Down
Every time I wake my laptop from sleep, all my windows are resized to fit the laptop screen even though I have the LG 27UK850 set as my default display.  The LG monitor takes just a few seconds too long to wake up, so the desktop displays on the laptop for a second or two--just long enough to screw up my desktop arrangement. I turned off Smart Energy Saving, Automatic Standby and Deep Sleep Mode to prevent the LG monitor from sleeping, but that didn't help. 

I realize this may be a laptop hardware and/or driver issue and not the fault of my new LG 27UK850, but it's very annoying. Does anyone know a fix/workaround for this?

Configuration:
HP Spectre X360 13" using internal Intel HD graphics 620
LG 27UK850 connected via USB-C
Windows 10 set to 3840 x 2160 resolution with 150% scaling.
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Reply Title Icon

RE: LG 27UK850: All Desktop Windows Resized When Laptop Wakes from Sleep

Posted on 2018-12-14 20:23:35 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Hello @steppinwolf

This is definitely not normal behavior for Windows. It should store your session in memory, and as such remember the layout of your screens. Do you unplug the monitors at all when you put it to sleep, or do you just leave everything as is? Are all your screens set to the full resolution they are compatible with?

The issue is most likely with the graphics driver. Whenever a single monitor is disconnected from a multimonitor setup in Windows, Windows will attempt to move everything from that screen onto the remaining screen(s). Usually, this will not occur when suspending/hibernating/shutting down the computer. Thus, it is probably because of the graphics driver doing one of the following:

• 'Disconnecting' the monitors when you put the computer to sleep, so when Windows awakens, it must re-determine where to place everything.
    • Recognizing the monitors in a different order each time you bring the computer out of sleep, forcing Windows to rearrange your application windows.

Check to see if there is an update to your graphics driver by going to the chipset manufacturer's website

Thanks,

-Ahmed

steppinwolf

2 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

steppinwolfsteppinwolf Member
    Posted on 2018-12-16 02:05:04 edited December 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks for the helpful tips. First, I'm definitely not disconnecting the monitor, but I understand it's good to check the simple things first. ;)

I check for driver updates periodically, so was surprised to find Intel HD Graphics 620 had an update earlier this year that I somehow missed. So far, this seems to have fixed the main issue. My desktop no longer displays on the laptop screen for a second or two before switching to the monitor and windows are not getting resized when waking the laptop from sleep.

Some windows are still getting slightly repositioned upon wake, but this is minor. Also, when I reopen an app, sometimes the window is resized and opened in the upper left-hand quadrant of the screen. Window location and size from previous sessions is ignored or forgotten. This is separate from the wake from sleep issue. I read somewhere about a workaround for this, but can't remember where.

In Device Manager, my 27UK850 is identified as a "Generic PNP Monitor". I downloaded the Win 10 driver from www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-27UK850-W ( on LG's download page, this driver is listed twice for some reason). Unfortunately, setup fails silently--even if I disable my anti-malware software and run setup with admin privileges. So, I haven't been able to install the monitor definition.

• Reply Title Icon

idrdidrd Member
    Posted on 2020-01-18 13:54:34 Vote Up0Vote Down
    It's due to some aspect of how LG made their monitors circuitry or drivers and they refuse to rectify it. I recently purchased 2 LG monitors and have this issue, but when I go back to my Dell monitors there is no problem. LG could care less