Skip to Content

GE24NU30 burning problem...

When burning a dvd I get a ring in the finished product that makes the DVD freeze and or buffer.  Basically a dead spot.  What is causing this problem?  I've ha…

GE24NU30 burning problem...

Posted on 2018-12-31 17:59:09 Burners & Drives Vote Up0Vote Down
When burning a dvd I get a ring in the finished product that makes the DVD freeze and or buffer.  Basically a dead spot.  What is causing this problem?  I've had this Drive for about 5 years.  Is it time to put it to sleep?

1 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: GE24NU30 burning problem...

RyanRyan Administrator
    Posted on 2019-01-04 03:53:11 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Victbtm,

The ring sounds normal, because usually the full disc doesn't get used, so the edge of how far the burner had to write on the disc, compared to blank rest of the disc, makes it look like a ring.

Is it possible the burn is stopping early?  Maybe the burn is failing, which could be the drive, but could also be the software, or the discs.

The first thing I would do is restart the computer.  If you're using Windows, shut it down instead of restarting.  I have issues sometimes because I have the quick restart setting enabled, and after a while things can go wrong.  Before you restart it, unplug the drive, then after it boots back up, connect the drive again (if it's external).

Next, I would try is a different brand of disc, especially if the ones you're having trouble with are different than the ones which worked fine before.

Next, I would make sure the software is up-to-date.  If you have another burner, or a friend that can let you borrow one, try a different burner with the same software and discs.  If you have the same issue, maybe try to uninstall the software, then re-install it.

If those things don't work, there's a good chance it's time to retire it.

I hope that helps!
    Thanks,
    ~Ryan