55UF5450 internet speed

I have been plagued by occasional degraded picture in a number of apps, particularly Amazon Prime Video even though I am using a   wired connection.

55UF5450 internet speed

Posted on 2019-01-06 06:25:05 Help & Troubleshooting Vote Up0Vote Down
I have been plagued by occasional degraded picture in a number of apps, particularly Amazon Prime Video even though I am using a   wired connection.  The first thing I attempted was using the LG Internet Speed app, which simply does not work.

Here's the thing: Using the LG Web Browser and the online Verizon speed test, I get confusing results.  The test is broken into two parts.  First is the router test.  I get about 150mbps up and down, which is correct for my modem and level of Fios service.  But the second part, the device test, gets dramatically worse results: about 20mbps up and down.  This is even though I am wired using Cat5e ethernet cable directly to the modem.

Why the discrepancy?  It is clearly what is causing my poor streaming quality.

3 REPLIES

• Reply Title Icon

RE: 55UF5450 internet speed

DoctorNormDoctorNorm Member
    Posted on 2019-01-06 22:16:15 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Just noticed Title wrong, should be 55UF6450
  • Reply Title Icon

RyanRyan Administrator
    Posted on 2019-01-08 07:46:10 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Hi DoctorNorm,

That's odd.  I would try another device right after running the test (see if you get the same result on multiple devices at the same time of day).  It's possible there was network congestion when you tried.  

You can also try the free Netflix speed test too, and see if you get the same result:
    https://fast.com/

It's also possible that the TV's browser doesn't have full support if the site is using javascript.  I've noticed my TV has trouble with one of the popular speed test sites that uses JS, but fast.com works fine.

This one may sound basic, but make sure you're looking at the Down speed.  Up speed is generally significantly less than Down speed (on all devices, just an ISP thing).

I've also heard that some ISPs restrict bandwidth to smart TVs.  I don't know if Fios is one of them, but it may be worth asking their support staff if that's the case (if other devices get higher speed, and just the TV gets less).

There isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with an Ethernet NIC, so I wouldn't expect there to be an issue with the TV, but the possibility does exist (more likely it would stop working completely than slow down).

I hope that helps!
    Thanks,
    ~Ryan
    DoctorNorm
  • Reply Title Icon

DoctorNormDoctorNorm Member
    Posted on 2019-01-10 17:22:21 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks for the tips, Ryan.  Every aspect you mention has been performed and the results were duplicated.  It is only the TV.  The only thing I haven't tried is checking with Fios to see if they're limiting speed to Smart TV's.  (If they are, it's time for a new provider.)