Skip to Content

Atmos on = Pro Logic on surround system

I have my OLED65C7P connected to my surround system with an optical cable.

Atmos on = Pro Logic on surround system

Posted on 2019-02-03 18:43:58 Home Theater Systems Vote Up0Vote Down
I have my OLED65C7P connected to my surround system with an optical cable. When I turn on Dolby Atmos on the TV, my surround switches to Dolby Pro Logic II from Dolby Digital. Why is that? It would be nice to use the TV speakers to get a bit of Atmos while also using the surround system in Dolby Digital where it sounds much better. Is this a known problem?
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Atmos on = Pro Logic on surround system

Posted on 2019-02-04 17:14:43 Vote Up5Vote Down

tp96, I take it the sound out is set to Internal TV speakers + Audio Out (Optical). If so, this is not a problem but normal operation. The TV would not be able to play Dolby Atmos and export another sound type, like 5.1, simultaneously. When the TV is set to that sound out option, it will only send stereo sound to the optical device.

The surround system outputting Dolby Pro Logic II would be its way of processing the stereo sound being received from the TV, however, if you turn off Dolby Atmos you can set the Digital Sound Out to Auto, and it should allow 5.1 to pass through to the sound system for applicable content.

tp96

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

2 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

tp96tp96 Member
    Posted on 2019-02-03 18:58:14 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I should add that my surround system is just a 5.1 with Dolby Digital and no Atmos.
  • Reply Title Icon

tp96tp96 Member
    Posted on 2019-02-04 17:23:45 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thank you for that clear explanation. That makes sense. Atmos is internal to the TV and does not output on the optical cable. Probably a surround system with ARC over HDMI would send Atmos to a newer system that supports that feature. Thank you for your time.