Skip to Content

34BK95U-W Suddenly Stopped Working with 2018 13" MBP

This monitor has been working flawlessly with my 2018 13" Macbook Pro for the last several weeks (since I originally purchased it).  I've had it plugged into the left side Thunderbolt 3 ports using the cable that came with monitor.  I connected my Macbook to my monitor yesterday, and it was working fine.  I left it plugged in overnight, and when I came back to it today, I couldn't get it to display anything.  I've tried resetting the SMC controller, resetting NVRAM and PRAM on my Macbook, and nothing seems to work.

34BK95U-W Suddenly Stopped Working with 2018 13" MBP

Posted on 2019-03-17 21:37:47 4K / 5K Monitors Vote Up0Vote Down

This monitor has been working flawlessly with my 2018 13" Macbook Pro for the last several weeks (since I originally purchased it).  I've had it plugged into the left side Thunderbolt 3 ports using the cable that came with monitor.  I connected my Macbook to my monitor yesterday, and it was working fine.  I left it plugged in overnight, and when I came back to it today, I couldn't get it to display anything.  I've tried resetting the SMC controller, resetting NVRAM and PRAM on my Macbook, and nothing seems to work.  

I've connected to the monitor using a USB-C cable (not Thunderbolt), and it works.  However, it only works at a much lower resolution.  I've done the same thing over HDMI through a USB-C dongle, and it works but at a lower resolution.

I have no idea why it would suddenly stop working.  I do not believe my MBP even had a software update in the timeframe in question.  

Furthermore, this seems to be causing even worse problems now.  If I have the monitor connected when rebooting my computer, it simply locks up at the Apple logo until I disconnect the monitor.  I've never seen behavior like this before.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this?  The only issues I've seen so far have been for the 15" MBP.

2 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: 34BK95U-W Suddenly Stopped Working with 2018 13" MBP

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-03-19 19:26:13 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    wyckhousem, I have seen this happen before but with a TV. If the computer goes to sleep or reboots while connected, it would not recognize the TV until you disconnect the cable and reconnect it again. Have you tried using the Thunderbolt again since it didn't display earlier?
    baratunde

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

RE: 34BK95U-W Suddenly Stopped Working with 2018 13" MBP

baratundebaratunde Member
    Posted on 2019-05-26 15:50:43 Vote Up0Vote Down
    wyckhousem You are not crazy. I've had this same problem with my 2018 Macbook Pro 13"

In fact it's happening right now. I've been able to resolve it sometimes by changing up the USB-C port on the laptop I'm connected to. Other times by fully powering down and back up the laptop. Right now I'm in the middle of an operation and can't turn the computer off, so my big 34" LG is simply providing power to this tiny screen on a big desk.

I've switched up settings on the monitor in terms of changing inputs through the menu. I can see that the monitor is lighting up and on occasion the OSD pops up in the upper right of the screen. Or I get a big "No Signal: Entering the power saving mode shortly" notification.

But I truly don't know what to do about this. This is literally my 4th attempt at an external monitor for this laptop and it's just the right resolution and size for my needs. But then every few weeks it simply won't display, and I go online searching for answers, and this time I found you. 

Given that the cable is providing power, and I can see the monitor respond to the connected laptop (it stays black but does light up and the OSD in upper right will say "Thunderbolt"), I'm going to try getting a different thunderbolt cable. 

I've spent/wasted hours trying to resolve this, and I'll report back if I find anything useful or reliable as a fix. There's just no way I'm going to get a fifth monitor. I'll lose my mind for good if that's the case.