Skip to Content

2018 B8 and SK10Y eARC firmware updates

Dear LG developers, I am sure that you are very busy finalizing what needs to be done to role out the 2019 lineup of TVs and Soundbars.

2018 B8 and SK10Y eARC firmware updates

Posted on 2019-03-18 04:06:31 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
Dear LG developers,

I am sure that you are very busy finalizing what needs to be done to role out the 2019 lineup of TVs and Soundbars.

If you get a chance, could you please update the 2018 B8 and SK10Y to support extended Audio Return Chanel; along with whatever other LG products have the physical bandwidth and hardware to support it. 

I am having difficulty streaming compressed Dolby Atmos from Netflix where the soundbar switches between saying Atmos Not Supported and ARC. While this isn't the end of the world, this is very frustrating considering the products I bought were advertised as having Dolby Atmos. Furthermore, I would really love to stay in the LG ecosystem of webOS and not need to purchase an almost $200 streaming device such as the Apple TV or Nvidia Shield to get the best audio experience possible: ( https://www.cnet.com/how-to/how-to-stream-dolby-atmos-from-netflix-itunes-vudu-and-amazon/)

eARC has already been announced for other manufacturers, (reference here: https://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theater/hdmi-arc-explained-works-care/) and I am sure that this would simplify much of the audio headaches the community is facing when looking for better audio quality. I have seen many other posts with similar issues: https://www.reddit.com/r/OLED/comments/9qsutz/having_dolby_atmos_audio_issues_with_your_lg_oled/ 

I request this because I believe LG should strive for the best user experience with their products. 

Sincerely, 
Zachary

15 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: 2018 B8 and SK10Y eARC firmware updates

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-03-18 20:35:51 Vote Up10Vote Down
    Lightning0 , Thanks for your feedback! We do strive to give our users the best experience possible and I will escalate this suggestion up to our factory. This is something that customer have vocalized as being important and we understand what other manufacturer's are doing/have done.  

I would not have any information as to what we will be doing to provide eARC to customers with compatible models, but I will definite update you once I receive some official information.
    Lightning0Grapper

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

Lightning0Lightning0 Member
    Posted on 2019-03-19 00:15:12 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Dear JamalofLG, 

Thank you for such a quick response! 
    I can't wait to hear some official news and I wouldn't mind some unofficial news as well 😉.

Keep me posted, 
    Zachary 
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-03-19 19:03:27 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Will do!
    Lightning0

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-03-20 00:50:04 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hey JamalofLG, 

Thanks for all the help,

I am having issues with my 2018 B8 and SK10Y setup. I am trying to watch Dolby Atmos supported content (eg Guardians of the Galaxy Vol 2, Love Death +Robots) via Netflix and the sound is cutting out every half second. Any Ideas? 

Thanks, 

Zachary
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-03-20 21:49:33 Vote Up0Vote Down

Can you switch the TV to internal TV speakers and see if the problem persists there? Also can you provide a clip of what the sound bar is doing when playing Dolby ATMOS as well?

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-03-21 23:30:53 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Knowing that eARC will be supported on the 2019 lineup via HDMI 2.1, I am opting to return my LG B8 and SK10Y to Best-Buy.  

Do you know if the SL10YG will come with eARC via HDMI 2.1 spec? I am not seeing specific specs on: https://www.lg.com/us/home-audio/lg-SL10YG-sound-bar.

Best, 
    Zachary
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-03-22 19:05:56 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    We have not received any information as of yet for the 2019 sound bars so we would not be able to say.
    arclight917

• Reply Title Icon

agaupigagaupig Member
    Posted on 2019-04-18 04:43:39 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hey, where can I get the spec detail of SL10YG, EVERY previous reviews emphasized that only ARC is supported rather than eARC......
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-04-18 15:10:59 edited April 2019 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    agaupig, I apologize the 2019 sound bars will not support eARC. They will still have the HDMI 2.0 ports. I will be editing my the previous post. Sorry for the misinformation.  
    arclight917

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-04-18 15:20:59 Vote Up-10Vote Down
    Lightning0, I just received some updated info and the 2019 Sound bars will not support the eARC.
    arclight917DJ_GLiTCH

• Reply Title Icon

NotguiltyNotguilty Member
    Posted on 2019-04-18 19:35:59 Vote Up20Vote Down
    It is not true that eARC requires HDMI 2.1!

eARC is possible via a firmware update on HDMI 2.0 given that it meets the bandwidth requirements of eARC. 
    As recently seen with Sony they have rolled updates to their existing 2018 line to enable eARC support (including their atmos Soundbar HT-ST5000). More info on upgradability is outlined in detail here:

https://hdguru.com/firmware-updates-for-earc-begin-to-arrive/

I feel like LG is either lazy (since they also omitted from including eARC on the 2019 SK10YG), or, more likely, just playing a monopoly to constantly get customers to upgrade their hardware by not providing firmware updates.

Both the truth is, we live in an era of technology that provides transparency. So the result of such behaviour will manifest itself through two faucets; customers voicing their dissatisfaction and demands (like me here), or alternatively, packing their bags and moving to brands that address not only their needs, but more importantly, values such as not abandoning older generation customers (i.e. Sony in this case).

It is very sad and embarrassing for LG enthusiasts like myself who own a C8 and SK10Y to deal with the shame of not having these updates when the rival Sony enthusiasts shove their updates in my face.

If you feel the same please fill this petition to ensure LG hears our voices and doesn't leave us in the dark; an update to the existing platform is not only possible, but should rather be supplemented to avoid unnecessary pressures to customers to upgrade.

DanielNGLightning0arclight917madhulsinghal
  • Reply Title Icon

cpmcfawncpmcfawn Member
    Posted on 2019-05-01 09:01:58 Vote Up10Vote Down

Not to divert the original topic away from the C8 and SK10, but as a customer who just purchased a C9 and has a SL10YG on order I’m extremely disappointed that LG have not included eARC in the SL10YG and have not released details or plans to put out a firmware update to allow eARC on your soundbars.  Especially in light of the C9 now supporting eARC and Dolby Atmos, and the SL10YG also supporting ATMOS, but no way for the C9 to send an ATMOS signal via eARC.  

It’s extremely disappointing considering all the associate press and media coverage of the C9 I have seen involved using the SL10YG paired with the C9.  The lack of eARC is a glaring oversight and I’m seriously consider cancelling my order for the SL10YG and going with another brand soundbar that supports eARC either out of the box, or via a firmware update.  

Lightning0arclight917
  • Reply Title Icon

10basetom10basetom Member
    Posted on 2019-05-27 14:39:47 Vote Up0Vote Down
    While it's true that some features in the HDMI 2.1 spec can be retrospectively patched into HDMI 2.O, it's also true that these features require certain minimum hardware to support the increased bandwidth, and it's possible the 2019 LG soundbars simply don't meet the minimum hardware requirements.
  • Reply Title Icon

arclight917arclight917 Member
    Posted on 2019-06-24 14:55:11 Vote Up0Vote Down
    lg you lie every other manufacture has updated there 2019 sound bars to earc you are screwing your customers  so the people who brought your 2019 sound bars are S>O>L and have spend more money to upgrade to earc next year
    who do you guys think you are apple
  • Reply Title Icon

Ignacio666Ignacio666 Member
    Posted on 2019-07-10 01:56:23 edited July 2019 Vote Up20Vote Down
    Is really terrible how others companys already upgraded the 2018 models tv with hdmi 2.0 to earc... but dont do anything.

Especially when the oleds are a high price product.
    arclight917SevenheavenmadhulsinghalGrapper