Skip to Content

Important LG Refrigerator Warranty Information Announcement, Please Read

I purchased a home with a LG refrigerator already in it. (mod: LFX28968ST; S/N: 408TRKH2H109; Manufac. date 08/2014).

Important LG Refrigerator Warranty Information Announcement, Please Read

Posted on 2019-03-18 15:23:50 edited March 29 Refrigerators Vote Up0Vote Down

15 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Important LG Refrigerator Warranty Information Announcement, Please Read

dustinbdustinb Member
    Posted on 2019-05-30 23:14:42 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I purchased a home with a LG refrigerator already in it. (mod: LFX28968ST; S/N: 408TRKH2H109; Manufac. date 08/2014). A technician came to the house and said the compressor and condenser are broken and need replaced. I am not the original purchaser of the fridge, will I still be able to have it fixed under warranty?  
  • Reply Title Icon

keith_jh_hankeith_jh_han Member
    Posted on 2019-05-31 21:34:45 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I've already had an independent appliance repair person come and tell me that the compressor is bad on our fridge which was bought and installed in Jan. 2017 (manufactured in 2016).

I have an appointment for a LG repair person to come a week from now (which is the fastest available time). I told LG support about the independent diagnosis result, but said that the LG technician needs to diagnose it again.

My question is will the LG technician be bringing in a spare compressor? If not, why long will this process take?

My fridge and freezer is more than 30 deg F above the settings and food is going already going bad.

Any help would be appreciated.
  • Reply Title Icon

barnesbikerbarnesbiker Member
    Posted on 2019-06-04 15:30:24 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I have an LG French Door Fridge (Model LFXS29766) purchased 2.5 years ago and the compressor is shot already.  Had a LG Tech out here this morning (which cost me $125).  He said the compressor is covered under warranty but not the labor.  I showed him this announcement that ALL LG refrigerators were going to have parts and labor covered if they were under 5 years old.  Apparently I now have to call in and request an approval number to provide to the technician before he can waive the labor charge.  Why aren't technicians provided this information so that we don't have to make numerous phone calls to the LG service center?    I'm also very frustrated that an expensive refrigerator would have the compressor die so quickly.  I had hope this appliance would last for 10-15 years....not looking good.  
    RicardoRuiz1
  • Reply Title Icon

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-06-04 18:13:58 Vote Up0Vote Down
    barnesbiker, please message me your information used when you contacted LG. I can get you setup and the full repair covered under the 5 yr. warranty.

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

barnesbikerbarnesbiker Member
    Posted on 2019-06-04 19:21:42 Vote Up0Vote Down
    JamalofLG - what information do you need?  I have a case number:  CNN190531999954 and our technician that visited this morning was Henry Dutan.  Model number of fridge is LFXS29766S.ASTCNA0/FRD serial number 603KRBY05989

Let me know if you need anything else and thanks for your help!
  • Reply Title Icon

heroncchavezheroncchavez Member
    Posted on 2019-06-10 02:04:54 Vote Up0Vote Down

My LG Refrigerator cooling system is not working (Model Number LSXS26326S /02) purchased on May 2017. Would it be covered under the 5 year warranty? I have tried contacting LG via the link provided but I had not received a response.

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-06-10 19:10:55 Vote Up5Vote Down
    heroncchavez, yes it would. Send me a private message with your info and I'll assist you with getting this resolved.
    heroncchavez

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-06-13 16:34:50 Vote Up0Vote Down
    We had our kitchen remodel completed in October of 2017 in which we had purchased all new LG appliances (with warranties) for the remodel. In November of 2018, near Thanksgiving, we noticed our fridge was not cooling. We contacted our warranty company who sent out a repairman on 11/24/18. We were hosting Thanksgiving dinner, but because of the unit going out, we had to discard of the food in the fridge and change our plans. After the repairs were complete, the unit seemed to work fine until around 5/26/19 we noticed the ice maker wasn't producing ice. Then we noticed the freezer was not freezing well. The warranty company sent out another repairman on 5/28/19. Just prior to the repairman arriving, the ice maker started working again. So when the repairman arrived, he said there was nothing for him to do. He didn't do any sort of temperature testing or anything. On 6/9/19, we noticed the same issue was happening. The ice maker wasn't working, the freezer was not cold enough and the refrigerator was not cold. All of this during a heat wave. We contacted the warranty company again, who sent out an LG repairman on 6/12/19. He replaced a number of things on the unit and even commented after the repair "it's like you have a brand new fridge". He even mentioned that the issue was never resolved correctly in the first place. And that if the ice maker is not working, it means the entire unit is not cooling properly.  He left our house around 2:30 pm. We let the unit run its course thinking it should take a little time to get back to temp. At 9:30 pm on 6/12/19, the fridge was running at about 50 degrees and the freezer was running at about 40 degrees. NO ICE still! We have have 3 children, one of which is 1 years old. We've had to discard a huge amount of food, including milk for our son. We contacted our warranty company yet again on 6/12. At around 10 pm we rec'd a call back from our warranty company who instructed us to call back after 6 am the next day (6/13). We called back this morning and now they are sending an LG repairman NEXT Wednesday, 6/19/19. We're going a whole other week without a refrigerator/freezer. I've taken off time from work to allow for the repairs to happen, to obviously no avail. And now I have to schedule more time off of work....plus having to replace all the food that was lost in the process as well as supplementing with meals out due to not having a working refrigerator/freezer. This is frustrating to say the least! Is this what's I've invested good money and time into?! 
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-06-13 17:10:00 Vote Up0Vote Down
    notcoldfridgenogood, Certainly not. Please send me a message with your info and I will have your case reviewed.

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-06-14 03:59:35 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Question...If you repair a covered refrigerator (lfxc24726s purchased in 2016), would the broken compressor be replaced with a new compressor or a refurbished one?
  • Reply Title Icon

GMB706GMB706 Member
    Posted on 2019-06-14 04:59:51 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I bought my LG fridge February 2018. I come home today the freezer isn't cold,  food is thawing out, and there's water leaking, trickling down the front of the fridge onto the floor. Am I covered by this new warranty LG is extending? Sheesh, if I knew this fridge was going to give me so much trouble in just over a year...I would've thought twice about purchasing! But, dually noted for my next purchase. We'll see how this repair goes.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-06-14 14:18:58 Vote Up5Vote Down
    LGbrokenfridge, compressors are new.
    LGbrokenfridge

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-06-14 14:21:37 edited June 14 Vote Up0Vote Down
    GMB706, you would be covered. Please send me a message with your info and I can schedule service or you contact LG at 800-243-0000 for scheduling assistance. 

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-06-15 18:53:26 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have a LFX33975ST and Both Top and freezer stopped cooling, I have contacted LG to schedule an appointment, LG told me that they don't have factory tech in my area, so i needed to contact LG authorized center to get someone out. I did and the tech came out and told me the compressor and other things need to be replace, and they already charged me $110 to look at it, tech also told me it would cost $1500 to repair the problem. However I read that this new warranty would cover 5 years for customer purchase before 1-1-2018, I purchased my refrigerator on 12-10-2014 so it would cover everything, how do I go about it to get repair? I'm not spending $1500 and the LG authorized center already charged me $110 when this is suppose to be under warranty. Someone please help me out.
  • Reply Title Icon

avicavic Member
    Posted on 2019-06-15 20:43:47 Vote Up0Vote Down
    LFCS31626S Serial Number 509KRGG1xxxx

LG Refrigerator French Door Bottom Freezer 

fridge and freezer stopped cooling, already happened three times. lots of food lost.

I will never purchase an LG product again

the evaporator (the thingy behind the back cover, with lots of coils and fins, which is responsible for transferring the "coldness" from the compressed gas to the surrounding air inside the fridge/freezer) ices up. 

the evaporator defrost heater is working, yet it does not defrost all the ice, allowing for lots of ice buildup. apparently LG has issue controlling the defrost cycle. 

but the bottom line is that when ice builds up on the evaporator fins, no cooling can be done and the food spoils.

to fix the issue you have to take the entire fridge (shelves, rails, drawers) and freezer (door, drawers, rails, ice maker) apart to gain access to the back covers, remove the back covers and manually defrost using a hair drier to remove all the ice build up. 

I am now an expert in doing this, and it "only" takes about half a day.

but all the food is already spoiled since there is no warning that the fridge and/or freezer stopped working :-(

apparently this is a common issue with LG refrigerators, not only this specific model.

other people also have issues with the drain tube freezing up (the drain tube is supposed to drain the water which the evaporator defrost heater thaws. this cause water to overflow and build at bottom of fridge and/or freezer and leak onto the floor, damaging the floor.

some people jury rigged an copper wire extension from the defrost heater into the drain hole to transfer heat from the heater into the drain hole.

LG is aware of these issues and has done nothing to address them.

three recommendations for LG: 

1- engineer a better way to detect that there is ice building up and/or make sure that the defrosting cycle is long and/or frequent enough to defrost the evaporator coils and fins

2- have an ALARM whenever the temp inside the fridge and/or the freezer is above the set temperature, to warn against spoiling food.

3- LG should engineer something to ensure that the drain holed does not ice up.  (a heat transfer copper wire as above or a separate heating element around the drain tube)

even if they do listen, I will never purchase an LG product again

-avi