Skip to Content

Water Line Frozen

I have an LG LFCS31626S that I purchased in June 2016 and the ice maker isn't producing ice.  I tried replacing ice maker itself, water control valve thing …

Water Line Frozen

Posted on 2019-03-29 19:03:37 Refrigerators Vote Up0Vote Down
I have an LG LFCS31626S that I purchased in June 2016 and the ice maker isn't producing ice.  I tried replacing ice maker itself, water control valve thing (??), and then thawed it out.  I got one round of ice after thawing it out.  I had a technician come out and diagnosed the problem as the "water heater" that prevents it from freezing is broken and not repairable since it's inside the unit.  The compressor already has been replaced.  Is there a "heater" so the water doesn't freeze up the line?  If so, and it's broken - is there really nothing that can be done? 
Tagged:

9 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Water Line Frozen

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-04-01 20:13:39 Vote Up0Vote Down
    If the pipe heater is truly bad it cannot be replaced. However, there have been units examined with the same symptoms and it was found the pipe heater pins were not making proper contact with the connector. It would be recommended to have the tech out again and them calling our Tech Support team for a proper diagnosis.

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

loconnor79loconnor79 Member
    Posted on 2019-04-02 17:14:07 Vote Up0Vote Down
    How do I know if my water line to ice maker is frozen?  Where is it? I have tried everything else.  Reset works but no water flows.  Have changed filters.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-04-03 16:24:36 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    You could run test mode by holding down the test button. When the icemaker returns to the upright home position and stops moving you should hear a “hum” from the water valve in the back of the unit. If you hear the hum and no water fills, ensure you are connected to a water supply. If so then it would likely be a frozen water line.
    d120859

• Reply Title Icon

manleymanley Member
    Posted on 2019-06-07 21:22:49 Vote Up0Vote Down
    My ice maker will make ice for about 10 days, then stops.  It sounds like it's working, but no water in the tray.  Why would the line freeze after that amount of time?  Once the freezer is shut down for a few hours, it works again temporarily.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-06-14 15:15:27 Vote Up0Vote Down
    manley, do you have the LFCS31626S as well or a different model?

• Reply Title Icon

d120859d120859 Member
    Posted on 2019-07-03 14:37:29 Vote Up0Vote Down
    my 18 month old LG  LSXS26396S/ASTCNA0 is doing the same thing! It doesn't defrost completely and the bottom part of my freezer is hard freezing causing the bottom section (the drawers) in the refrigerator to also freeze up (the air vents are right up against the drawers). The water line is right behind the first drawer and the water is frozen so it won't dispense water or make ice. What causes the defroster to stop working? you can hear it trying to defrost but it sounds like it is only defrosting the top section of the freezer not the bottom as well. 
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-07-05 14:31:05 Vote Up0Vote Down
    d120859, the unit would require service. Send me I private message with you info and I'll can get you scheduled.

• Reply Title Icon

NoIce888NoIce888 Member
    Posted on 2019-07-19 23:23:42 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have a LFX25975SB. 10 years old with no problems.  Now, no ice.  Replaced the ice maker (pricey) and the water inlet valve (not so bad) from the back, no help.  Numerous test mode runs, ran correctly.  When we take a hair dryer to the filler line, we get 3 - 5 loads of ice then it stops again.  So, if I read the prior posts correctly, if the filler tube (line) is freezing and/or the water heater is broken, there is NO FIX?
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-07-24 18:15:57 Vote Up0Vote Down
    The water pipe heater is on the icemaker fill tube and it's foamed in the left door so would be a door replacement. None of the door heaters are replaceable separate from the door.