Skip to Content

55 IN C9 OLED VRR ISSUES

So I just got my c9 oled on Wensday, amazing TV. However having vrr and low latency mode issues with xbox one X.

55 IN C9 OLED VRR ISSUES

Posted on 2019-04-05 21:14:20 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
So I just got my c9 oled on Wensday, amazing TV. However having vrr and low latency mode issues with xbox one X. Plugged Xbox one x directly into TV and when loading a game that supports it like fallout 76 or Gow 4 the frame rate and image goes all haywire, even menu options of the guide.. However games that dont support it don't have the issues. Disabling both modes fixes the issue but what's the point of buying a TV for those modes if they don't work?
Do when disabling them when playing gears 4 and or Fallout 76 setting Hdr mode to game mode does the same thing. Is this an lg issue, or xbox one x issue?

Best Answer

15 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: 55 IN C9 OLED VRR ISSUES

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-04-05 21:56:03 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Ffink20001_, I'm having this researched and I will provide you an update soon. 
    Ffink20001_

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

Ffink20001_Ffink20001_ Member
    Posted on 2019-04-06 01:46:38 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Going to try with a different hdmi cable granted using a Monster cable now, also have sky audioquest but doubt it's the cable
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-04-06 04:55:14 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Switching hdmi cabels did not help
  • Reply Title Icon

pelleranpelleran Member
    Posted on 2019-04-07 18:37:54 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi. I just got a C9 65 and installed with my xbox one x. I am an Electrical Engineer and I have some good experience with A/V. I see exactly the same issue. I am using one of the best HDMI 2.1 cables out there by Belkin certified for 48Gbps but no difference. I tried to use the HDMI cable that comes from xbox, no changes. I tried to use both port 1 and 3 for the HDMI on the TV, no changes. I noticed that if HDR is turned off, then game mode (VRR+low-latency) works fine. I feel that VRR and low-latency are somewhat activated together in game mode, so I am not sure which one is the problem. I tried this with both Forza Horizon and Devil May Cry, they both show the same problem with HDR+game mode. Changing color space in the xbox from 8 to 10-bit space did not help. Using the ycc 4:2:2 option did not help. I have the xbox 1 plugged into  HDMI 1, my old xbox 360 in port 2 and I just have a spare cable (unconnected) in port 3. All connections are direct HDMI cable, nothing in-between. I will try to unplug all the cables except the xbox one. I running out of options and I hope this will be resolved soon, since I waited and paid premium for the 2019 model exactly to be able to use the VRR and low-latency features! Meanwhile I will do more tests and report back if I find anything.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-04-08 13:12:08 Vote Up0Vote Down
    pelleran, thanks for the explanation. Would you or Ffink20001_ be able to provide a photo or clip of what your seeing if possible?

• Reply Title Icon

pelleranpelleran Member
    Posted on 2019-04-08 15:26:16 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Photo won't do it, since won't show the "stuttering/skipping". I will try to upload a short clip. To me it looks like a sync issue, so VRR might be the problem. However, yesterday I tried to leave HDR and game mode ON on the TV and just deactivate "allow VRR" from xbox one, but issue remains. Do you know how VRR is activated on the TV? Is it activated automatically when game mode is selected?
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-04-08 16:00:49 Vote Up0Vote Down
    It should be automatic as with HDR but I have not tested it to be 100%.

• Reply Title Icon

pelleranpelleran Member
    Posted on 2019-04-08 16:37:09 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Jamal, I found this looking through forum:
    "Small precision that is important: LG engineers have finally announced that the new Oled TVs do not support the FreeSync Xbox One S / X. Oled 2019 TVs support HDMI 2.1 Variable Refresh Rate (VRR). It is assumed that console manufacturers will need to update to make them VRR compliant which is only a variant of FreeSync / Adaptive Sync." This is from a French website here (using google translate since it is in French):
    https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=https://www.lesnumeriques.com/tv-televiseur/labo-tv-lg-oled-2019-televiseur-parfait-pour-jeu-video-n85419.html&prev=search
    This topic is mentioned here:
    https://www.avsforum.com/forum/40-oled-technology-flat-panels-general/3057634-2019-c9a-e9-owner-s-thread-no-price-talk-20.html
    So if this is the case and the TV enables VRR with game mode automatically, then this won't work with current xbox one, even if the FreeSync mode on the xbox is activated.
    Can you please confirm that the above statement is correct please?

I also have another question for you: does the low-latency mode comes with ANY picture mode or ONLY with game mode?
    Thanks!
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-04-08 19:28:18 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I don't have anything official about the console manufacturers needing to update to be VRR compliant, but as with anything new, updates will be released by all parties involved to ensure compliance and increase compatibility. Also low latency mode is exclusive to Game mode.
    pelleran

• Reply Title Icon

pelleranpelleran Member
    Posted on 2019-04-08 19:31:13 Vote Up0Vote Down
    When is VRR activated on the TV? Is this activated only in game mode?
  • Reply Title Icon

pelleranpelleran Member
    Posted on 2019-04-09 02:27:37 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Ffink20001_, it seems that on other forums people are using gears 4 with no problem. Can you tell me your configuration on the TV? Especially all the connections to and from it. Thanks!
  • Reply Title Icon

pelleranpelleran Member
    Posted on 2019-04-09 15:22:06 Vote Up0Vote Down
    ***SOLVED!***
    Yesterday after work I tried the following: I turned on the xbox and activated all the options in the video mode (basically just added the 4.2.2). Then with the TV off I removed all the cables except the hdmi on port 1 that connects to the xbox 1 x. The cable I disconnected are the 2 hdmi from port 2 and 3 (2 going to the xbox 360 and 2 just dangling for on-the-fly connections) and the optical cable for the audio. Then I turned on the TV, launched Forza horizon and the problem is gone! I then reconnected everything back and the issue is gone. At this point I am not sure what did it. On the instant response mode selection box on the tv it says that the feature might not work well if optical audio out is selected. I had the optical cable connected, but the optical out was NOT activated.
    I tried few more games and I can confirm that HDR + low-latency is working fine now.
    By the way, I noticed that you can be in low-latency mode on the tv with ANY picture mode. It does not have to be game mode necessarily. I can see that even in vivid mode (I like the colors better) the instant game response is turned on. Just in case you have not noticed this yet.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-04-09 16:34:35 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Great! Thanks for the update.

• Reply Title Icon

SlimNebuloidSlimNebuloid Member
    Posted on 2019-04-10 06:46:01 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Pelleran’s solution doesn’t actually work. Enabling YCC 4:2:2 simply disables VRR and game mode. I’m getting screen tearing and inconsistencies all over the place suggesting VRR is not activated. In fact, even with both features disabled, simply using normal HDR in game mode causes the image to stutter. Oddly, switching to another non game mode makes it stop so there’s definitely a compatibility problem here. I’m going to return it if there’s no fix. Without the new features it’s no different than the C8 
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-04-10 14:40:05 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Sorry it took so long to update, when I disable HDR 10 through the Xbox One X those modes work fine. When I enable hdr 10 but disable vrr and Allm through xbox One X everything works EXCEPT if I set game mode to hdr. Of course this is just in games that support Vrr.

I have xbox One X plugged into port 4 currently but tried it with and without anything else plugged in.. Enabled and disabled my St5000 Sony soundbar, reset Xbox to scratch.. even used different resolutions. 
    Thing that's getting me is some say it's working but can't tell if they are running vrr games or if they even enabled it. Tried on 3 different games.