Skip to Content

Water puddling under your fridge? Easy Fix - How to clean defrost drain hoses and drip pan

Every online source says water under the fridge is due to a clogged defrost drain hose or pan.

Water puddling under your fridge? Easy Fix - How to clean defrost drain hoses and drip pan

Posted on 2019-04-12 22:27:51 Refrigerators Vote Up0Vote Down

Every online source says water under the fridge is due to a clogged defrost drain hose or pan. Yet, I could find NOTHING from LG on how to do a fix.  I even have the authorized service manual. Nothing on drain hoses or drain/drip pan. NADA.

I have a LFX31945ST, bottom freezer french door.  When I found nothing on-line, so I removed the bottom service panel on the back of the fridge. It is about 8 inch tall and the width of the refrigerator. Five small screws.  You do not need to remove the water line that runs through it.   Removing the panel will expose the refrigerant tank, coils and fan. 

In the very middle of this area are two white flexible plastic drain hoses.  They run vertical into the drain pan. About 3/8's diameter.  Impossible to miss. The hose closest to you is definitely for the freezer and other hose behind it is for refrigerator I believe.  The hoses simply pull off from two nipples at the top.  No tools, easy pull off.  Note the hoses are zip tied to the coils to keep them in place.  The two white drain hoses simply drain into the drip pan below.   You do not need to cut the zip ties unless you want or need to remove the hoses to clean out debris.  

Looks like the drip pan assembly is impossible to remove from the bottom of the fridge without taking out lots of stuff, like coils and fan. In my case, the freezer drip hose was totally blocked with hair, dust and crap.  The refrigerator drain hose was only partially clogged.  When I  slide the upper part of the freezer drain hose off its nipple, about 3 ounces of water rushed out.  When I blew into the freezer drain hose - it was TOTALLY BLOCKED.  No wonder the defrost water was running out the freezer bottom onto the floor. 

BOTH hoses have little black rubber "flaps assemblies" on the bottom. They pop off so you can clean the flap and the entire hose.  The rubber flaps on the bottom of each hose do a GREAT JOB of attracting and holding crap to block the hose.  The crap blocking the bottom of the freezer drain hose had turned into semi solid hair/dust plug.  

After I popped off the top of each hose and slide off the bottom flap of each hose, I ran a round brush down and up each hose, flushed them with hot water (YUK) and reassembled.  FIXED.  Took 5-10 minutes. Easy.  Problem solved. While there, I used a syringe to drain out the pan water (not much) and then used paper towels to clean the pan (not that dirty). Pan is NOT easily removable, but clean-up-able with towels and stiff wire to push the towels around under the compressor coils and fan.  In my case, the pan was NOT the issue. It was those little black rubber flaps on the bottom of each drain tube.  I GUESS the flaps are there to prevent water and funky growth from going back up the tube and into the fidge.  

Note, the two white drain hoses are very flexible. They are not stiff plastic and not breakable. The black caps/flaps on the bottom feel like silicone rubber.  Hoses and flaps are easy to take off, easy to clean.  and easy to reassemble. 

From now on, I will do some preventative maintenance very few years. Only tools needed was Philips screwdriver.  Plus paper towels, 3/8's inch round hose brush, water for flushing.    

Hope this helps

2 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Water puddling under your fridge? Easy Fix - How to clean defrost drain hoses and drip pan

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-04-16 15:53:02 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    wwbeagle, thanks for info!
    DoneWithLG

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Water puddling under your fridge? Easy Fix - How to clean defrost drain hoses and drip pan

DoneWithLGDoneWithLG Member
    Posted on 2019-10-01 05:17:12 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Didn't work for me.   Found the ONE plastic drain tube, wasn't plugged at all, dry as can be.  I am SOOOOO done with LG products.