Skip to Content

C9 will not auto power on DirecTv Geenie

When the DirectTv is powered off and you power on the C9,  you receive a box that says set top box is powered off?  Do you want to power it on? Yes-No?

C9 will not auto power on DirecTv Geenie

Posted on 2019-05-04 17:33:49 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
When the DirectTv is powered off and you power on the C9,  you receive a box that says set top box is powered off?  Do you want to power it on? Yes-No?  If you say yes, it powers on and life is good. 
Two questions:
1) both simplink settings are on. Why does it no autopower ON?
2) Why would you ever ask that question?  Would someone select the HDMI1 connection just to watch the screensaver?  I would think the default action would be to turn it on with a setup option to disable. 
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Reply Title Icon

RE: C9 will not auto power on DirecTv Geenie

Posted on 2019-06-26 14:26:50 edited June 2019 Vote Up5Vote Down

Good Morning Everyone,

Please see the below response from Engineering:

Cause

1. As Google Assistant is built in, Google requests the sound bar resets once a day and the reset happens between 2AM~4AM.

2. When the sound bar is reset, HDMI CEC block is disabled, as there is an error in sound bar's S/W.

3. When the sound bar is turned on once with its Remote/Local Key/App, it works normal with HDMI CEC. However, the same problem may happen again after the next reset.

Action

There was a problem due to software bug, & the fixed software will be available July 5, 2019.

*** If you has not connected to your Wi-Fi network, please setup network using Google Home App, & the new software will update automatically when the network is setup. ***

*** If already connected to Wi-Fi, the sound bar will be automatically updated when not in use. So, no further action is required.***

Darington

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

15 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

weird_wandaweird_wanda Member
    Posted on 2019-05-06 16:34:21 Vote Up0Vote Down
    It's me again.  There seems to be a problem with powering on devices.  We purchased the soundbar for this TV and it will NOT power on first thing in the morning no matter what you do.  You have to use the remote for the soundbar to turn it on.  Then it works fine the rest of the day.  Took it back for another based on LG troubleshooting and exact same problem.
    Also it will not power on AppleTV after long periods of no use.  I think LG has some issue here.
  • Reply Title Icon

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-05-07 16:15:34 Vote Up0Vote Down

weird_wanda, powering on connected devices would all be done the HDMI CEC (SIMPLINK). If SIMPLINK is on along with Auto Power Sync in the TV, the other side is up to the connected device. I would ensure the HDMI CEC is turned on in the DTV setting menu. Also the TV asking if you want to power on the STB is in the event customers are using the Internal TV apps instead of the STB.

How is the sound bar connected to the TV (HDMI/Optical/Bluetooth)? What is the model number to the sound bar?

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-09 08:10:33 Vote Up0Vote Down
    The soundbar is connected HDMI/ARC.  It is model SL8YG.  Whatever happens with it overnight must happen between 11:00 and 2:00 because I just tested it (2AM CDT)and the soundbar did not come on.  So it is not the amount of time it is off, but rather something that happens overnight. We are going to disconnect the internet tonight to see if some kind of update is causing the problem with the soundbar.

Now about the STB.  I'm still not understanding the rationale.  If someone did not want the STB powered on at start up, would they not just disable the auto-power-on for that device?  Help me understand what auto power on is supposed to be doing because it doesn't seem different than having it disabled? 

But given that you have designed this behavior, I ask this:  Is there a way I can just turn the TV on and watch television (satellite) without additional set up questions?  Does it happen on every HDMI connection and would there be a way to connect the satellite to something other than HDMI1 and have it come up and ON by default? There are times I also watch on the smart TV but all I do is hit the apps on the ribbon menu provided by the home button.  What advantage is there to not having the STB on and doing that?

Thanks in advance for your insight.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-13 14:30:18 Vote Up0Vote Down

weird_wanda, the sound bar should turn off and on as the TV does. To correct it, power off the sound bar & disconnect it from the TV. Change the Sound Out settings in the TV to Internal TV Speakers & reconnect the sound bar again. With the sound bar still turned off, change the sound out settings to Audio Out (Optical/HDMI ARC) & Turn on SIMPLINK. This should turn on the sound bar, if not, power it on and change it to the Optical/ HDMI ARC input. You should be able to turn the TV off from here and the sound bar should work in unison with the TV.

Now the Auto Power On is activated when the SIMPLINK feature is turned on. Once turned on, The TV send a signal to the devices connected to turn on. This works differently across devices and setups. I would check the settings in the Genie to ensure the Auto Power ON is activated in the because when the TV turns on, it sends this signal to all the connected devices. This is the reason why it comes back and asks if you want to power on the STB. There isn't a way to tell the TV to turn on a connected device every time it turns on, outside of activating the SIMPLINK setting.

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-13 16:57:31 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thank you for the input.  I have gone through the step-by-step process you detailed for the soundbar.  Keep in mind it works EVERY time EXCEPT the first time you turn it on after midnight.  I will post tomorrow to let you know the status.  I personally believe something is happening within the television impacting the HDMI/ARC connection (because it does not happen with an optical connection) at midnight and may have to go to the point of setting up a camera to capture sound/images but I hope this fixes it; we shall see.

As far as the DTV STB, there is no Auto Power ON option that I could find.  The only option for power is Power Saver.  Which of course, if I leave it on all the time, I don't have the problem. The TV has the mechanical/software ability to power it on.  I'm just not understanding why the "prompt" asking me if that's what I want to do?  I would turn AutoPowerOn off on the TV if I did not want it to come on automatically, right?

Thanks again for the detailed response; will update you tomorrow.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-14 10:08:54 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Bad news.  The television still did not turn on the soundbar first thing this morning. Just FYI we gave tried ARC and eARC with no change in behavior. Is there any automated activity that occurs during the night?  Something to do with HDMI connections?
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-14 14:09:32 Vote Up0Vote Down
    The only thing that would run overnight in the TV would be the Pixel Refresher. This runs if the TV has been on greater than 4 hrs. I will have this reviewed by engineering for further information.   

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-14 15:05:38 Vote Up0Vote Down
    One more bit of information.  At EXACTLY 2AM the soundbar makes a sound similar to the sound it makes when you do a reset on it.  Hope that helps.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-14 15:39:24 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks.

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-16 11:03:04 Vote Up0Vote Down
    FYI - updated to the latest software yesterday  (Had to do from USB as it would not update automatically).  Same problem but the reset sound moved to EXACTLY 2:30 AM.  I'm Central Daylight Time if that helps at all.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-16 16:20:39 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks. I'm still awaiting a response back from Engineering.

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-16 16:39:04 Vote Up0Vote Down
    My BestBuy return time is approaching soon.  I can't spend over $5,000 on a TV/Soundbar combo and not have it turn on in the morning, so returning the TV is fast becoming my only option.  Please share that with your engineers. And I appreciate your continued follow-up.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-16 16:52:15 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Will do.

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-21 13:04:34 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Could you check into one thing for me?  On the APP for the soundbar, there is a setting for participating in feed back.  We got it to work one time with that OFF.  Does that data get collected daily at midnight PDT (2AM CDT)?
    Thanks,
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-05-24 15:42:11 Vote Up0Vote Down
    weird_wanda, the information would be collected in real time. Would you have another TV in the home to which you can connect the sound bar via ARC for testing?