Skip to Content

Enable 5.1 Audio Output over Optical?

I cant seem to figure out how to enable 5.1 audio output over my optical out port on the LG 50UK65.

Enable 5.1 Audio Output over Optical?

Posted on 2019-05-11 17:04:34 edited May 2019 TV/Audio/Video Vote Up0Vote Down
I cant seem to figure out how to enable 5.1 audio output over my optical out port on the LG 50UK65. My sound system is a pioneer 5.1, and only has 2 optical inputs. In theory, I just need to run an optical cable to one of it's inputs from the tv optical out get 5.1 on all devices connected to the TV.

In practice though, any time I do this the TV seems to strip out my rear speaker audio on all my devices. The only audio options I have on the TV are sound modes (sports, game etc), and output settings for bluetooth, internal and/or optical, internet enables speakers, etc.

I have no options for things like linear PCM,  dolby, etc, that my older TVs had (though to be fair those TVs ALSO stripped out the rear speaker audio >_>), I had hoped 8 years of technological advances in TVs would have solved this passthrough issue.

The ONLY solution I could find seemed to say that the options to enable 5.1 optical output is locked inside a manufacturer service menu that requires an IR service code to access, and a wrong menu selection can brick the TV. That... sounds questionable, if not completely illogical for a company to restrict the full range of audio options on the TV for the consumer who paid for it. There has to be a way for a consumer to enable the 5.1 audio on the optical output without having to buy an overpriced receiver that sits between the HDMI connections to the TV, when my existing system supports the feature to begin with.

Anyone know a solution?

UPDATE: Did some testing and it seems the TV is likely not the problem after all. It will pass let surround sound for the Xbox 360 console pass through, either through red/white RCA or HDMI.

4 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Enable 5.1 Audio Output over Optical?

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-05-23 16:36:23 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Imatron, what Sound out Setting are you using on the TV {Audio Out Optical/ HDMI ARC or LG Sound Sync (Optical)}? What is the model number to your Pioneer receiver?

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

ImatronImatron Member
    Posted on 2019-05-30 13:07:58 edited May 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have the Pioneer HTS-GS1. It has two optical/toslink inputs and two analog stereo inputs. The LG tv is a 50UK65, set to output audio on both the optical and internal speakers. Internal speakers are usually kept at 0 volume and only turned up when my pioneer is playing audio from another device while Im doing something else on my TV.

EDIT:

After some testing the TV is not likely the issue after all. Seems my 360 console still works hassle free with it, which it should because it's licensed for the console. Both HDMI and composite RCA cables going into the TV successfully converted through the TV's optical when tested with Gears Of War 3.

Problem is I can't seem to get the PS4, Switch, or Xbox One to make use of the surround speakers at all, even on sound modes where the left and right rear speakers are supposed to mirror the front left/right in stereo mode. Oddly the MCAAC tuning using a plug in microphone makes a huge difference in sound quality coming from newer machines, when it never seemed to benefit my older consoles.

You would think the new machines could handle older surround if they can play older stereo just fine, but I cant figure out the settings for it in on new consoles or PC.

The one problem that may be on the TV, is that windows 10 sees the TV as being stereo only, and wont let me change the configuration to 5.1 in software. This may be because the HDMI port communicates that there is only stereo available, and hopefully a software update could let the TV communicate that 5.1 is available. Some people say the sound passes through as 5.1 regardless of what windows sees it as, others say it needs to recognize the speakers as 5.1 for some games to send 5.1 audio at all.
  • Reply Title Icon

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-05-31 15:15:01 Vote Up0Vote Down

Imatron, I don't believe there's anything that can be updated in the TV since the HDMIs already have the 5.1 built in. I would suggest changing the Digital Sound Out to Auto if set to PCM under the Sound > Sound Out > Internal Speakers + Audio Out (Optical).   

Have you tried connecting the optical directly to the Pioneer from the PS4 or Xbox One to see if it passes the 5.1 then?  

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

ImatronImatron Member
    Posted on 2019-05-31 15:49:09 edited May 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I've actually been tinkering at that exact thing all morning, more or less, with the exception that I only have two direct optical connections and no adapters to get everything running on optical directly. I had hoped to use the TV to solve those issues.

So far:

PS4: Turns out I had to prioritize the optical cable on my PS4 and that let me enable bitstream over the optical to enable surround, This is connected directly to the receiver. Also, I was using a Disney bluray, turns out they provided the courtesy of an on disc home theater optimization thing that lets me test the individual speakers. Apparently the PS4 bluray app has separate audio settings that kept me thinking the settings weren't working, Once you enable bitsream IN THE BLU RAY APP with the options button, it now plays in 5.1

XBOX One: Connected directly to TV by HDMI, no direct audio system connection. Turns out again a bitstream setting was more or less hiding in the menu, the TV passes the 5.1 audio directly through. Only problem I have with it now is it's still an Xbox One and not something I turn on because I want to anymore.

PC: Still can't get surround sound to work because the settings are locked in as Stereo despite my video card supporting up to 7.1 audio.This might be an issue with the video card though, but it's on the latest drivers and Windows 10 only sees it as stereo speakers. Windows apparently lets the application dictate the current audio output settings, but between that and the video card I cant find any settings to enable bitstream or something,m which seems to be working on the other two devices.
    **The video card manufacturers seem to say that the video card is looking at my TV and seeing "Stereo speakers", and reports this back to windows, locking my PC into stereo output. The TV would have to instead report over HDMI that it has 5.1 surround speakers before windows and the video card will enable it. Is there such a setting on the TV?

Switch Console: Only has three settings, Surround, Stereo and Auto. No optical out on the dock (a huge oversight along with the lack of ethernet port). It must support surround sound somehow if it's got a setting for it, but I guess it's using some format that only works with newer HDMI receivers? I had hoped the TV would act as the Switches HDMI to optical adapter, like with the other (now working) consoles, but it just wont do surround sound.
    **The Switch, like the PC, may be looking at the TV's stereo speaker report and not broadcasting in 5.1.