Skip to Content

Intermittent Battery Issues on LG Stylo 2 Plus

Yesterday my phone started acting all kinds of wrong. Today it's fine like nothing ever happened. In detail:

Intermittent Battery Issues on LG Stylo 2 Plus

Posted on 2019-05-16 14:36:32 T-Mobile Phones Vote Up0Vote Down
Yesterday my phone started acting all kinds of wrong. Today it's fine like nothing ever happened. In detail:

Yesterday morning after having charged all night, it suddenly went from 100% to 0% just as a call came in- after 2 rings it had turned off. When I tried to turn it back on it displayed a message saying 'Battery Empty, Shutting Down'. After a few minutes on the charger, while still off, it would display 3% at most for about an hour. I kept trying to turn it back on but it'd always shutdown after a few seconds. Right when I turned it on it'd be at 3% then a second or 2 later at 0% again with that 'Battery Empty' message.

I took it apart & cleaned all the dust & grime- when I looked at the battery everything seemed fine. eg. no visible oxidation on any contacts. The spring connectors were fine & there wasn't any dust or dirt at all inside by the battery. I noticed the battery was dated 2016 & wondered if it had just become too old to operate properly.

After reassembling it, maybe an hour later it showed as having reached 26% while off, so I'd turn it on & after 30 seconds it'd be back at 2% or 3% again. I left it off throughout the day & it would go between 26% to 2% to 0%, & then to 31% at one point. Late in the day I was able to turn it on & it stayed between 20% - 25%.

When I went to bed, it was back to 0% & shut down again. After just a couple minutes it had reached 20-some% while off so I turned it back on, & it eventually charged up to 100% overnight. This morning it's been acting totally normal, like there was never a problem.

I don't know if this is typical when a battery gets too old. Maybe 3 years is all that can be expected?

Another thing I wonder about is that just a couple days ago there was an Android OS update, & then a day later all this battery mess. That cleared up after a day. I don't know if that's relevant.

I can go ahead & replace the battery but I don't want to do that & end up having spent that money for nothing when it was a software issue all along. In my world, money's tight & an unexpected battery expense is significant.

Maybe someone with a better understanding of this can chime in with some insight.

Thanks in advance.

Best Answer

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Intermittent Battery Issues on LG Stylo 2 Plus

Posted on 2019-05-27 04:28:56 edited May 27 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I can think of three things, one that you already partially did.
    Make sure your battery is seated properly. That can cause discharge of it fast.
    Your cable. If it isn't a good one, it can cause a battery drain. You cannot use a dollar store one. At minimum, if you are not using the one that came with the phone, then a halfway decent one from Walmart.. or a nice thick one from 5 Below if you have one of them near you. If you are using the one that came with your phone, it might have a loose connection or one of the thin wires that are used in the cable could have went bad. Try replacing the cable if you can. But again.. not with a dollar store one!
    Lastly... Check to see what apps are running in the background. You wouldn't think of this as a battery killer, but those FB notifications that are constantly coming up kill the battery because it runs in the background memory. Grab the Clean Junk remover from Norton or AMC... which is Advanced Mobile Care from IOBit. Because your phone does not have AOS Oreo, it would not have the Smart Cleaning app, so this is your next best bet. 

Hope these ideas help! I have the Stylo 2 Plus that I gave my mom after having it for about three years and the Stylo 4 that I've had since switching carriers in November. Small differences... But outside of a couple of minor details, they are a dream... So that's how I know a bit about your phone. Had a similar issue that you are having.. and it was the cable... Except mine was due to a cat that wouldn't leave mine alone. 

Oh one other thing. If these don't work, check the port on your phone where the cable goes in. It might be loose. That is something I don't have an answer for. 
    NginUS

1 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Intermittent Battery Issues on LG Stylo 2 Plus

Rick_DERick_DE Member
    Posted on 2019-10-28 19:17:54 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Have to agree with Rushfan.  However, the batteries are only good for so many cycles, after three years, I wouldn't be surprised that the phone could use a new battery - they only rated for maybe 500 charge/discharge cycles.
    Not expensive, bought mine on Amazon for about $8.  Search for:  Genuine LG BL-45b1f