Skip to Content

LG V30 Screen Uniformity Issues

Over the past three days, I have had four LG V30's in my hand.  Although one was better than the other three.

LG V30 Screen Uniformity Issues

Posted on 2017-12-22 00:41:08 Cell Phones Vote Up0Vote Down
Over the past three days, I have had four LG V30's in my hand.  Although one was better than the other three.  They all still had LED uniformity issues severe enough to return them.  Even though I have seen people complain about the display, especially with the Pixel 2 XL.  I wanted to give the V30 a shot because it does look and feel really nice in-hand.  After the fourth unit in a row is experiencing issues.  I just can't be bothered any longer!  

V30 (Unit 1): The top of the display was much brighter than the rest as well as non-uniform.
V30 (Unit 2): The display across the panel had dim spots that were very visible, even when using colored backgrounds.
V30 (Unit 3): The bottom left quadrant of the screen was significantly dimmer than the rest of the screen.
V30 (Unit 4): The bottom of the phone up about an inch on the display was significantly dimmer thant he rest of the screen while containing a dim spot around the middle of the display.  

All of these units have manufacture dates of 10/2017.  I did ask the two stores if they had any with November or December dates on them but was told, no.  This experience has put me off of LG products as well as anything that may contain an LG OLED, like the Pixel 2 XL.  LG should be ashamed of the craptacular displays on these devices!  
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Reply Title Icon

RE: LG V30 Screen Uniformity Issues

Posted on 2018-01-15 22:37:43 Vote Up0Vote Down
    If this were me, I suppose I'd shoot for another replacement.

11 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

stf7stf7 Power User
    Posted on 2017-12-30 15:49:09 Vote Up0Vote Down
    FWIW: My V30's manufactured date from the box indicates 09/2017. The screen is excellent and very uniform.

The manufacturers are really pushing the technology. Samsung for example has had its own screen issues.
  • Reply Title Icon

SyaoranSyaoran Member
    Posted on 2017-12-30 23:12:17 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I don't know about pushing technology but they should be pushing their quality control department to do better at preventing these crappy units from making it into the retail chain.  
  • Reply Title Icon

ashishpatilashishpatil Member
    Posted on 2017-12-31 12:25:43 Vote Up0Vote Down
    guys any one can tell me will LG V30 gonna get update of Portrait mode in camera ? I really needs that.
  • Reply Title Icon

stf7stf7 Power User
    Posted on 2017-12-31 13:40:50 Vote Up0Vote Down
    ashishpatil - can you clarify your question please? my v30 will shoot in portrait or landscape orientation. remember you also have the ability to download a third party app like Pixlr to do cropping and other post-processing effects.
  • Reply Title Icon

SyaoranSyaoran Member
    Posted on 2017-12-31 18:38:08 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I think, by Portrait Mode, they mean where it blurs the background, like on the Pixel 2 phones.  You can always sideload the Google Camera app in order to have that feature.  XDA is a great place to visit to find those modified apps as well as with instructions on how to load them on to your device.  
  • Reply Title Icon

BorgrattBorgratt Member
    Posted on 2018-01-15 07:04:36 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I wanted to chime in. I got 2 phone's from tmobiles bogo promotion. While my girls phone has a near perfect screen with it getting slightly brighter near the bottom of the screen, mine on the other hand had dark spots and banding. Well I just got my phone back from lg after a screen replacement and it's pretty clear they haven't fixed the issue.

While there's no dark spots or banding, the bottom of the screen is quite a bit brighter then the top half. It's pretty distracting while scrolling any colorful content as well as any brighter image's just tend to get even more washed out looking the closer to the bottom of the screen you get.
  • Reply Title Icon

SyaoranSyaoran Member
    Posted on 2018-01-16 04:15:14 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I wonder how many RMA's it will take for you to end up with a decent screen!  It's crap like this that illustrates why LG has failed their company and consumers for a decade straight in the mobile business.  They can say they don't want to compete with Samsung and Apple anymore but the truth of the matter is, they never could in the first place!  Pathetic quality control and launching products 3 to 4 months after they are shown off, allowing every other manufacture to put something out there first.  LG just might turn into the next Sony and have to start selling off their various product divisions to stay in business.
  • Reply Title Icon

SyaoranSyaoran Member
    Posted on 2018-01-21 00:37:44 Vote Up0Vote Down
    And...that is number 5 LG!  You should really recall the V30, test every single one of them properly, and then sell off the few you might have that are perfect for a reasonable price.  
  • Reply Title Icon

SyaoranSyaoran Member
    Posted on 2018-01-31 22:55:55 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I contacted LG US Support via Twitter in regards to this matter.  The response I get was truly disappointing and definitely illustrates one aspect of what is wrong with LG's business practices and why they have reported losses in their mobile division for 11 years in a row.

"Hi there! Thank you for taking the time in reaching us out. Now, in regards to your concern, the color variation that you mentioned on e display of the V30 is not considered as a defect. It is caused by the P-OLED(Plastic-OLED) variation of luminance in production process characteristics. You can increase the brightness of the display to lessen or to eliminate the symptom."

Calling poor quality panels a "characteristic" truly shows how sad LG's mobile division has become!
  • Reply Title Icon

stf7stf7 Power User
    Posted on 2018-02-01 00:47:25 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Syaoran: I went on T-mobile's site and for an average review, the score for the V30 is 4.69/5.00 (1328 reviews). On Verizon it is 4.5/5.0 (562 reviews). On ATT, 4.7/5.0 (657 reviews). As I've written before, the phone is really excellent. It's my daily driver and I have really nothing but good things to say about it after a few months of ownership. Battery is by far, the best of all LG phones I've ever owned. And it was a great value (I purchased mine when LG was giving $200 rebate, and a free Google VR Bundle. 

I know you've looked at a number of them with the same build date. I don't doubt your reported observations. Why not go into a different carrier store and look at a model there?
  • Reply Title Icon

SyaoranSyaoran Member
    Posted on 2018-02-01 17:09:24 Vote Up0Vote Down
    There is definitely a lot to like about the V30/V30+.  I have pictures of all of the faulty models I have had.  I have been to multiple stores to see if my luck would be any different.  T-Mobile is the only carrier that has band 71 as an option.  I had considered ordering one from B&H but a friend got one from them that he had to send back for the same reason.  It is irritating enough to have to go to stores, purchase one, and then return it.  I really don't want to go through that with online retailers.  

I contacted LG because I do like the device and I do want one.  I am not willing to settle for one of their defective screens, especially because I know there are V30's out there that don't have this issue.  Their support though suggesting that an $800 device is not uncommon to experience this "characteristic" pretty much guarantees LG won't be getting any more of my money in the future.  The attitude from the company makes me hope those 11 years of losses lead them to bankruptcy for making excuses for a crappy product and even worse company support!
This discussion has been closed.