Skip to Content

Nexus 5 WiFi problem...acting strange....turning ON / OFF and Power ON/ OFF

Gentlemen/ Ladies,  I am a proud Nexus 5 phone user, yes, still Nexus 5 because it is such a good reliable phone.  But started the day before, the WiFi is turning itself OFF, and although I tried turning it ON, it just keep searching and searching (where the screen usually display all WiFi networks around, it just shows a energy-bar running from left to right, while bottom is pretty much blank except saying turning ON wifi).

Nexus 5 WiFi problem...acting strange....turning ON / OFF and Power ON/ OFF

Posted on 2019-05-22 04:47:47 T-Mobile Phones Vote Up0Vote Down

Gentlemen/ Ladies, 

I am a proud Nexus 5 phone user, yes, still Nexus 5 because it is such a good reliable phone. 

But started the day before, the WiFi is turning itself OFF, and although I tried turning it ON, it just keep searching and searching (where the screen usually display all WiFi networks around, it just shows a energy-bar running from left to right, while bottom is pretty much blank except saying turning ON wifi).

The phone then shutting down itself, OR I have to turn the phone OFF, wait to power ON again, sometimes WiFi works , sometimes it does not, or turn if OFF itself after a few minutes. when it's back ON, it works normally. 

All other functions of the phone are flawless, blue tooth, my t-mobile LTE, have no problems.

At this stage, I can’t tell, it is a software and hardware error.

Did’nt drop on the floor, no water damages, no crack on screen, I have been use it nicely. I noticed the battery drinks fast, and I worried that this problem is the result of bad battery/ shutting down due to empty battery, so yesterday I finally replace the battery with a brand new one.

I checked my charter internet modem, and wireless router, all seems to be ok, as my other PC and laptop both using hard cable and wireless, other cell phone also use the same WiFi at home, they all function OK.

I ran malwarebytes and panda anti-virus on the Nexus 5, no virus.

I tried suggestions from youtube:

-turn the airplane mode ON/OFF

-turn t mobile, bluetooth ON/OFF

-reset network connection, ( that only brings my t mobile ON)

-Developer mode ON, select legacy DHCP,

As you notice, it’s a Nexus, it still runs on Android 6.01 version, not the latest. And I really do not want to “manufacturer re-set” back to original setting, just too much work, not to mention, a reality that I may not able to get updates from Android as the version is old, which really put me in a more difficult position. I am financially tight now and hoping to continue to use this Nexus 5 for another year before I can afford a new phone.

Any suggestions, please. Thank you all !

1 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Nexus 5 WiFi problem...acting strange....turning ON / OFF and Power ON/ OFF

cobblewaterscobblewaters Member
    Posted on 2019-06-08 01:32:01 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Try a factory reset, it's really not too complicated. Or check the Wi-Fi antenna(hardware). There might be something wrong with it.