OLED C9 - EDID / limitation regarding HDMI-eARC pass-through

Posted on 2019-05-24 07:15:55 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down

15 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: OLED C9 - EDID / limitation regarding HDMI-eARC pass-through

T4mponDeluxeT4mponDeluxe Member
    Posted on 2019-11-14 10:36:50 Vote Up0Vote Down
    question of a PC user:
    instead of using the e-arc, cant i just connect my graphiccard via hdmi with the TV directly to have VRR, and a second cable to my AVR for 5.1 sound?
    I know graphiccards have mostly only one hdmi connection and more dp connections, but can't we use such an adapter (dp to hdmi cable)?

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-11-14 14:23:48 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @T4mponDeluxe You can't send only audio, you'd have to send video along with it meaning you'd have to clone the display, which means you might have issues with VRR and possibly be wasting GPU power on the second fake monitor. And if it did work, it's not optimal. Better off just waiting for the eARC update.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-11-14 14:42:25 Vote Up0Vote Down
    My Problem is I just bought a new Denon X1500H which doesnt have e-arc :-/
    So the update won't help much for me unless i buy a new AVR.
  • Reply Title Icon

DiabolusExDiabolusEx Member
    Posted on 2019-11-19 21:08:18 Vote Up5Vote Down
    What you want to do is possible but its more complicated than you think.

But first the good news. It won't cost much performance, only 1-2% so don't worry about it.

Now the bad stuff:
    You cannot simply clone the video signal.
    In clone mode you can only activate features that both cable connections support. So no VRR or for example HDR if your AVR does not support it too.

What you need to do is to extend your desktop. Than you have 2 completly seperate signals and you can use all available features. However now you have invisble second screen. So windows and your mouse cursor will get lost and it is very annyoing. However there is software that will prevent your mouse and windows to wander off your main screen. I don't remember the name of the software but google should help you. 

T4mponDeluxe
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-11-21 09:36:21 Vote Up0Vote Down
    well atm i use a Dell gaming monitor connected to my GPU via dp and have another cable (hdmi) connecting GPU and AVR, which again is connected to my TV. I use clone mode without too many problems, and 5.1 works. I'll probably just buy the LG 65C9 on black friday and try with the adapter cable i mentioned above.
  • Reply Title Icon

ssjandresssjandres Member
    Posted on 2019-11-24 17:34:01 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Is this an issue of the C9 only, or all LG OLED TVs? Would the B9 be able to pass PCM 5.1/7.1 through eARC?? I only find forums about this issue on the C9 but I haven't been able to find anything on the B9.
  • Reply Title Icon

spyrospyro Member
    Posted on 2019-11-24 17:57:25 edited November 2019 Vote Up20Vote Down
    To be perfectly clear: I had the C9 on my list for this year's christmas. But I will NOT buy it, when eARC keeps in this broken state (especially PCM multichannel support). That was the main reason to buy a new A/V receiver for me, as it's the only way for multichannel sound for gaming PCs.

Jesus Christ, just enable this EDID flag, why is this so difficult?
    ssjandresThisGameRussellHDiabolusEx
  • Reply Title Icon

fenster3000fenster3000 Member
    Posted on 2019-11-24 22:57:16 Vote Up0Vote Down
    LG already confirmed an update to address this issue.

ssjandresmrhollywood360
  • Reply Title Icon

ssjandresssjandres Member
    Posted on 2019-11-24 23:02:32 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    As far as I can tell, from forums in June, yes, they did; in June! It's November, and nothing.
    fenster3000
  • Reply Title Icon

fenster3000fenster3000 Member
    Posted on 2019-11-24 23:19:10 Vote Up10Vote Down
    We only know that this update is scheduled for Q2 2020.
    Sure it would have been nice not to wait that long.
    But at least they are going to fix it.

We do not know what is causing this issue.
    I prefere to give them time to implement this whole stuff correctly. 
    With proper testing and all that stuff rather than encouraging them to
    release it fast with a higher risk for bugs.

mrhollywood360idgforum
  • Reply Title Icon

DJ_GLiTCHDJ_GLiTCH Member
    Posted on 2019-11-25 08:01:23 Vote Up25Vote Down
    With all due respect, waiting 6+ months to be told to wait another 6+ months before we can use a feature that LG advertised as available and working on these sets at launch is a bit of a joke.

Bugs would have been better in this instance as that would imply they actually supported what they advertised, rather than play dumb for 6+ months only to make us wait another 6+ months for them to add a feature they used to sell these sets.

These actions are totally irresponsible and deceptive if you ask me, not to mention the other audio issues these sets have.

Whilst I appreciate that this issue will eventually be addressed (supposedly), the fact of the matter is people have paid to use these features now. If we are forced to wait until Q2 2020 to gain access to advertised features on these sets, a lot of us would have preferred to buy the C10 rather than sit around and wait for the C9 to receive an update. Very disappointed in LG - if you don't support the specification in its entirety, don't claim that you do or at least state partial support for the bits that you do.
    ThisGameHD1911RussellHDiabolusExT4mponDeluxe
  • Reply Title Icon

TheMark38TheMark38 Member
    Posted on 2019-11-26 19:56:52 Vote Up0Vote Down
    So I just purchased a 2019 C9 OLED 65", AND to be able to use eARC as a PC user I purchased a Sony STRDH790 with eARC. I just bought a Denon AVR-S940H earlier this year but it only has ARC.
    So once I installed the TV, the new AVR, and plugged the PC to the TV, I saw I only had Stereo as a sound setting in Windows 10, and add to that audio lag.... Care to guess if I am a happy customer? Oh and I have discovered you can not really fully use Alexa voice commands from my home Alexa devices for the commands as advertised by LG ( I confirmed that with Amazon Tech ). Maybe a class action law suit would motivate LG to get moving on the functionality of their software programming and advertising. 
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-11-26 20:09:17 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @TheMark38 I have my PC connected to the TV, and I don't have any audio lag
  • Reply Title Icon

slmjimy311slmjimy311 Member
    Posted on 2019-11-30 18:11:08 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @TheMark38 I don't think that's right.  I just bought the S950H from Denon as well and did a lot of research to specifically confirm it's compatibility with the C9, and it for sure has eARC. 
    From Denon themselves:

"The AVR-S950H supports eARC and 4K video upscaling, plus eight HDMI inputs and two outputs with full HDCP 2.3 support on all ports guarantee compatibility with the latest HD and Ultra HD TVs, Blu-ray players and game consoles."
    https://usa.denon.com/us/product/hometheater/receivers/avrs950h

• Reply Title Icon

gquiringgquiring Member
    Posted on 2019-12-16 23:01:10 Vote Up0Vote Down
    My C9 will not pass DTS-HD, it converts the audio to DTS.  I have a Windows 10 PC running Kodi.  The PC is connected to a Pioneer LX-503 receiver which is eARC.  Everything is enabled for eARC and I am using certified premium cables (all less than 6 feet).

If I use the internal media player on the C9 is also does not pass DTS-HD to the receiver.  

If I connect everything to the receiver first, then and only then do all the HD audio formats work correctly. But any of the HD audio formats either get down converted or don't work at all via eARC.  I checked today and my LG is running the latest release of firmware.