Skip to Content

OLED C9 - EDID / limitation regarding HDMI-eARC pass-through

I replaced my Denon X4400H with a Denon X4500H and now have a working eARC configuration...

OLED C9 - EDID / limitation regarding HDMI-eARC pass-through

Posted on 2019-05-24 07:15:55 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down

15 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: OLED C9 - EDID / limitation regarding HDMI-eARC pass-through

jmpage2jmpage2 Member
    Posted on 2019-06-24 13:35:06 Vote Up15Vote Down
    I replaced my Denon X4400H with a Denon X4500H and now have a working eARC configuration... however I have run into the limitation with PCM audio not working over the C9 eARC connection.  As this should be a relatively easy fix for LG to support these sound formats I am chiming in that us owners really want to see this addressed soon in a firmware update.
    dfa973metalmachinearclight917
  • Reply Title Icon

HDRAddictHDRAddict Member
    Posted on 2019-06-25 17:34:37 Vote Up15Vote Down
    I love this TV but I'm very frustrated by the lack of PCM audio over eARC. When you buy a $7000 TV you expect all of the advertised features, including eARC, to work correctly. I really hope LG will fix this in a firmware update. It will effect how likely I am to buy LG TVs in the future and whether I would recommend them to a friend.
    dfa973metalmachinearclight917
  • Reply Title Icon

DiabolusExDiabolusEx Member
    Posted on 2019-06-25 20:18:47 Vote Up10Vote Down
    I'm also quite frustrated that such a high end TV is missing such a simple feature.
    I'm just glad I noticed it before I bought the tv. I still wan't it but I won't buy it before this issue is fixed!
    dfa973metalmachine
  • Reply Title Icon

fenster3000fenster3000 Member
    Posted on 2019-07-08 19:28:20 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Still no answer from the engineering department? 
    metalmachine
  • Reply Title Icon

metalmachinemetalmachine Member
    Posted on 2019-07-09 03:48:24 edited July 10 Vote Up0Vote Down
    For LG to simply miss the implementation of 6 and 8 channel LPCM is mind boggling. Unfortunately, I just bought the C9 and I'm now thinking of how to return it. I really hope there is some response to this soon. 
  • Reply Title Icon

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-07-09 14:08:24 Vote Up5Vote Down
    No update yet.
    metalmachinemrhollywood360DiabolusExStickybeakarclight917

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

UdoGUdoG Member
    Posted on 2019-07-09 20:40:58 Vote Up5Vote Down
    JamalofLG
    Thanks for your feedback. Please keep us informed. Hopefully LG will fix this soon.
    metalmachine
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-07-10 12:50:27 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Really looking forward to a fix for this.
    DiabolusEx
  • Reply Title Icon

Vanluke77Vanluke77 Member
    Posted on 2019-07-11 03:29:45 Vote Up10Vote Down
    They won’t fix this, they will use it as a feature to sell us a new TV next year. I bought this TV hoping to be ready for PlayStation 5 next year, but it looks like as forward facing as it may be, it’s still not ready for the future. I absolutely must have 5.1 LPCM through eARC so I can get my 4k @ 120hz from the PS5 and still have my lossless surround sound. I have a couple more days before the return window is up, so I’ll probably pack it up this weekend. Too bad because I really enjoy the TV, but I can’t buy a new one for the PS5 next year. It’s not reasonable. Maybe the C20 will be the one finally.
    DiabolusExarclight917
  • Reply Title Icon

Jvdh1978Jvdh1978 Member
    Posted on 2019-07-11 15:55:13 Vote Up15Vote Down
    Just to avoid confusion: I also tested the eArc of the c9 and I have tested spoofing the edid with an HDFury Maestro device (which is also the eArc client). Wether the source is a PS4 Pro or Apple TV here, I get the same effect: only FL and FR are forwarded when the TV eARC mode is set to "auto" or LPCM. The TV also has a setting to support bitstream forwading but in that case there is no sound at all. So in neither case, also not with the help of a HDfury box LPCM 5.1 or 7.1 over eArc can currently be enabled. A more comprehensive fix then only adjusting the edid is required. I am also a customer who waited for the C9 (as opposed to the C8) to use the new eArc feature, assuming LPCM 5.1 would be included. So LG development please fix this, only then the TV is the best TV ever (and one could argue eArc is currently not fully implemented). 

DiabolusExStickybeakarclight917
  • Reply Title Icon

piercerpiercer Member
    Posted on 2019-07-12 11:41:33 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I am really shocked to discover this. I just got an OLED55C9. One of the main drivers to upgrade was eARC for sound from my PC (PC->TV->X6500H), but now I discover it can only do stereo from a PC. Truly awful omission.

When do we think it will be fixed. Might have to return my TV otherwsie
    arclight917
  • Reply Title Icon

ED2278ED2278 Member
    Posted on 2019-07-15 14:59:59 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I just got the OLED65C9 and found out the hard way that multi channel PCM pass through isn’t supported via eARC. This is unfortunately a deal breaker for me so this TV will be returned and I’ll get the Sony A9G which supports this flawlessly. It’s really a shame, as besides this issue the TV is outstanding...
    arclight917
  • Reply Title Icon

NismoZNismoZ Member
    Posted on 2019-07-16 01:09:20 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I would like to use my Xbox One X connected to my LG C9 TV and then eARC to my AVR.  I cannot do this with the desired LPCM, as this LG issue has not been fixed.
  • Reply Title Icon

RussellHRussellH Member
    Posted on 2019-07-16 03:37:24 Vote Up5Vote Down
    As a new owner of the LG C9, I too am frustrated at the lack of proper multi-channel LPCM support. You'd think that after spending a small fortune on this equipment, proper LPCM support would come standard in 2019. This issue alone prompted me to research the matter online which ultimately led me to several online forums where many other C9 owners have voiced the same issues.  I then decided to create an account on this forum and post this comment in effort to add my name to the growing list of owners who want this remedied ASAP. I hope that LG provides a response and a proper fix (firmware) to this sooner than later as I can't currently utilize my sound system to it's full potential. Unacceptable.
    mdouglas10mrhollywood360DiabolusEx
  • Reply Title Icon

piercerpiercer Member
    Posted on 2019-07-16 06:08:26 Vote Up10Vote Down
    @JamalofLG Any update on this please. I need to know if I should return my television and get a Sony?

mdouglas10mrhollywood360