Skip to Content

C9 eARC only passes two channels between sources and Denon X4400H

I believe I am having a slightly different problem than another one I see currently under discussion around eARC & Denon AVR.

C9 eARC only passes two channels between sources and Denon X4400H

Posted on 2019-06-03 13:46:06 4K Ultra HD TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
I believe I am having a slightly different problem than another one I see currently under discussion around eARC & Denon AVR.

In my case I am having a problem getting eARC capability properly detected on my C9 for use with my Denon X4400H.

Both devices are upgraded to the latest available firmware but when I add my X4400H as a "home theater" with the device connector the only option I am treated to is "ARC".  I have the Denon cabled up to HDMI 2 on the Television and I am using the Monitor out ARC port on the Denon.

Once set up I can get my sources to pass Atmos and legacy sound formats over ARC but am having intermittent issues where I will lose audio & video from one of my sources.

If I switch the HDMI ARC settings on the C9 to EARC then the audio on the Denon switches to 2 channel stereo, regardless of what source device and sound format is being pumped into the TV.

Have tried swapping cables and even did a factory reset of the C9 trying to resolve this.  Am hoping someone else has some other ideas as I have now spent an obscene amount of time trying to get something that was supposed to be "simple" up and working.

Thanks.
Tagged:

15 REPLIES

• Reply Title Icon

RE: C9 eARC only passes two channels between sources and Denon X4400H

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-06-03 18:20:34 Vote Up0Vote Down
    jmpage2, While not the exact same as the EDID problem described in other discussions, I believe it is similar to it. What source or sources lose audio? How intermittent is the problem (once or twice a day, once or twice a week)?

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

jmpage2jmpage2 Member
    Posted on 2019-06-03 20:29:29 edited June 2019 Vote Up15Vote Down
    Hi @JamalofLG ,

I have a Panasonic U820 4K BD player, a PS4 Pro and an Apple TV 4K all connected directly to the C9 which is then connected to the X4400H Denon which is on latest FW that is supposed to support eARC feature.

If I leave the C9 in "ARC" (not eARC) then what I observed is at almost exactly 1 hour I would lose the picture and sound from the BD player... the only way to get the audio and video to come back was to power cycle the C9 and the X4400H.

Otherwise, in this mode I am getting multi-channel audio.

If I change the HDMI ARC setting from the C9 to "eARC" then immediately the Denon goes to 2 channel stereo from all of my above sources and the C9 refuses to pass any multi-channel audio.

If I run the connection manager to the Denon it only ever shows up as an "ARC" source and initially it was auto-discovered as a soundbar and not a home theater.

Other users have reported that they have their C9 eARC working with X3400H (sister to 4400 with same chipset) and I have gotten a variety of stories about what needed to be done to get it into operation.

I tried a factory reset on the C9 (painful since I had already spent a fair amount of time setting things up) and it still just saw the X4400 as a "soundbar" and even after deleting it from connection manager and setting it up as a home theater it only gives the option for ARC in the connection manager setup (I am then able to manually turn on eARC feature from HDMI audio settings but of course it only passes stereo).

I am suspicious that there is something flaky in the C9 implementation of the feature.  According to Denon no EDID exchange or control setup is needed for the feature to work.... as long as the display sends the eARC information and data channel the Denon will receive it with no settings on the Denon that need to be set up.

Considering I bought a near top of the line 77" OLED from LG and specifically chose it to get features like this working (to simplify my cabling setup and get best video processing compatibility between my sources and the display) this has been rather frustrating.

If any of your techs or engineers want to troubleshoot the problem let me know.  I've spent probably 4-5 hours working on it so far and am getting no where.

Thanks for your reply.
    Lightning0dfa973Mojito
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-06-04 13:46:07 Vote Up10Vote Down
    Thanks for the explanation. It has being escalated to Engineering, I will provide more information once I receive an update.
    SiranMojito

• Reply Title Icon

lujanlujan Member
    Posted on 2019-06-05 07:41:47 Vote Up10Vote Down
    I'm also having all the same issues as jmpage2 with my Denon X6400H and my LG C9.  I have tried resetting both the LG TV and the Denon.  I have called LG and Denon support and LG couldn't help and said they would call me back the next day but I didn't hear anything back.
    dfa973jmpage2
  • Reply Title Icon

jmpage2jmpage2 Member
    Posted on 2019-06-11 13:08:27 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @JamalofLG It would be good to get some kind of update on this reported issue as I am nearing the end of the return period on this very expensive television and have to decide if I'm going to keep it.  
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-06-11 15:30:26 Vote Up0Vote Down
    jmpage2, I will not have a timeline as to when a resolution will be issued, however, something is in the works to provide a resolution.

• Reply Title Icon

ElektroDragonElektroDragon Member
    Posted on 2019-06-12 23:41:52 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I  just spent over $6k on the 77 C9, so I hope LG can resolve this quickly with firmware and allow all multichannel uncompressed LPCM signals to be passed via eARC without any HDMI CEC interference. Thank you!
  • Reply Title Icon

dfa973dfa973 Member
    Posted on 2019-06-24 15:05:04 Vote Up0Vote Down
    This problem is widespread to all 2017 Denon and Marantz AVRs, such as Denon AVR-X3400H, X4400H, X6400H, Marantz SR7012, but not limited to. The 2017 Denon and Marantz receivers are not negotiating more than 2.0 LPCM (Stereo) for eARC link, no HD audio streaming allowed via eARC.
  • Reply Title Icon

Vanluke77Vanluke77 Member
    Posted on 2019-07-11 06:46:22 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Just so you know, the problem here isn’t the bar, it’s the source. This TV only accepts 2.0 LPCM audio. It’s a huge flaw that needs to be rectified.
  • Reply Title Icon

dfa973dfa973 Member
    Posted on 2019-07-25 06:05:23 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Vanluke77 It is not true, the C9 with eARC=On and Pass-through=On the C9 accepts all the lossy or lossless codecs, such as DD5.1/DTS5.1/DD+/DD+Atmos/TrueHD/TrueHD+Atmos/DTS-HD MA/DTS:X but the problem in this thread is related to a specific generation of Denon/Marantz receivers, not that the C9 is limited to 2.0 LPCM audio...
  • Reply Title Icon

rbauer77rbauer77 Member
    Posted on 2019-09-24 17:26:45 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hello,
    is there any solution from LG or Denon side? Actually i have an Denen X4400H and i plan to buy an OLED C9.

Thank you.

• Reply Title Icon

dfa973dfa973 Member
    Posted on 2019-09-26 07:01:03 Vote Up0Vote Down
    rbauer77 No easy solution. You must either change the receiver with a 2018 or 2019 generation or change the TV (there are Sony eARC TV's that have fewer problems with the 2017 Denon/Marantz receivers). The cheapest solution: change the receiver - you can find a list here.
  • Reply Title Icon

rbauer77rbauer77 Member
    Posted on 2019-09-29 15:13:02 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Dawn, i just switched from X4300H to x4400H caus of the eARC Featue. :-(
  • Reply Title Icon

HazzamanHazzaman Member
    Posted on 2019-10-14 15:01:47 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi, I have just spoken to Denon about this issue. I have a X4400H and C9. 

I have been able to get eARC working once with my Xbox passing through DTS-HD, however the audio format will not then change back correctly when playing anything else. Everything then has to be power cycled to pass any audio through again. I was only able to do this by turning off CEC on the reciever. 

Denon have informed me that LG are aware of the issue and that it is a TV software issue and not a receiver software issue. I'm not sure how much truth there is in this! Can someone from LG confirm?

Thanks
  • Reply Title Icon

allllallll Member
    Posted on 2019-12-03 23:02:04 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Denon x3400h and an LG C9 65” and having problems with eArc. Any update on this?