Skip to Content

LG Gram 15Z980 - slow Ethernet download speeds

Brand new LG Gram laptop.  Performing speed tests and unexpectedly gt wired speeds about one half that of wireless speeds (96 Mbps vs 176 Mbps).  Other wired PCs on same network perform at full speed.

LG Gram 15Z980 - slow Ethernet download speeds

Posted on 2019-06-10 19:18:54 Laptops Vote Up0Vote Down
Brand new LG Gram laptop.  Performing speed tests and unexpectedly gt wired speeds about one half that of wireless speeds (96 Mbps vs 176 Mbps).  Other wired PCs on same network perform at full speed. Is it the Cat 5 -> USB C adapter or USB in general?

4 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: LG Gram 15Z980 - slow Ethernet download speeds

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-06-14 19:37:25 Vote Up5Vote Down
    sfnd, Try another CAT 5 cable to see if the problem continues. Also swap it with another Ethernet port on the router to see if it continues.  
    sfnd

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

sfndsfnd Member
    Posted on 2019-07-08 06:53:28 Vote Up0Vote Down
    JamalofLG - good suggestions.  After upgrading my cable modem, I've seen much better speeds, but the hardwired speeds are still not quite up to expectations.  Swapping cables, as you suggested, helped quite a bit and I will need to rewire a few things to max out my performance.
  • Reply Title Icon

CaptainMikeCaptainMike Member
    Posted on 2019-10-06 18:55:31 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I just purchased an LG  gram 17 and I am also  experiencing the same problem.  Using speedtest by Okala to measure speeds.    I have a 1 Gbs internet connection, a cable and modem connection that will deliver 650 mbs when plugged into another laptop but only 70 mbs for the LG gram.  I've tried a different USB C ethernet adapter with the same result.  When doing the upload test on the LG gram I can see a max of 800 mbs just before the metering comes into play.  On the download it stalls at about 50 mbs before slowly working it's way up to 70 mbs.   When connected to my Wifi, I get the same 70 mbs for the LG gram but get about 250mbs when connected to my other laptop on the same desk as my LG gram.  I've noticed that other forums have been reporting a similar problem.
  • Reply Title Icon

CaptainMikeCaptainMike Member
    Posted on 2019-10-07 19:13:11 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I just received a response from LG.  "we have checked the technical specification of the unit and it appears that the LAN of the unit only supports 10/100Mbit (USB-C Port with R45 gender). For this, getting 70 to 80 MBS is normal behavior of the unit because of its LAN capacity." 
    So it's off to Amazon to buy a USB 3.0 RJ45 that supports 1 gbs.  It could be that this is an internal limitation that the driver can't overcome.  I will post my results back to this forum.  
    Thanks to LG for the quick response.    
    Citizen1952