Skip to Content

77 C9 overaggressive full screen ABL in HDR modes!!

LG, can you please turn down the full screen ABL in HDR/DV modes on the 77 C9?

77 C9 overaggressive full screen ABL in HDR modes!!

Posted on 2019-06-23 01:34:37 edited June 2019 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
LG, can you please turn down the full screen ABL in HDR/DV modes on the 77 C9?    My 65 C8 does not have full screen ABL this aggressive!  I compared both side by side with identical 100 light/100 contrast settings in Standard mode with HDR and DV content, equivalent power saving, AI brightness, etc going through a 4K HDR splitter.  Ensured all other subsettings were the same as well. Bright colorful scenes, such a those with the sun in them, all white screens, large fiery explosions, etc. are all much brighter on the C8.  If I press the menu button the C9 to get a partial shadow on the screen, the right side of the screen becomes just as bright as the C8 with no menu.  So clearly this is ABL and the TV is capable of better.

Some specific examples: in HDR games that are bright and sunny like Crash Team Racing the sun is much brighter on the C8, but recovers brightness if you view the same sun with dark scenery (a canyon) on the sides, and even in 2.35 aspect ratio DV movies, full screen flaming explosions are much brighter on the C8 (Gladiator, Batman vs Superman, etc.). In all these examples, pressing the menu button on the C9 with its partial dark gradient restores all the brightness to be equivalent to the C8 with NO menus showing. Which is proof the ABL on the 77 C9 is too aggressive vs the 65 C8. I don’t know if it’s due to panel size or C8 vs C9 differences but please make the ABL intensity on C9 the same as on the C8!!!! Right now the C9 is a big downgrade in bright scene performance vs the C8, especially in HDR and DV.

In SDR, there is essentially no difference with the ABL, so clearly related to HDR/DV mode ABL.  Just make it the same as the C8, I beg you!  Thank you.
Tagged:

3 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: 77 C9 overaggressive full screen ABL in HDR modes!!

ElektroDragonElektroDragon Member
    Posted on 2019-06-23 09:07:25 edited June 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Consolidated my posts into a single one above for clarity.
  • Reply Title Icon

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-06-24 20:12:49 Vote Up0Vote Down
    ElektroDragon, I will submit this up to see what can be done.

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

massardmassard Member
    Posted on 2019-11-28 19:52:20 edited November 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    ElektroDragon, Did LG fix your issue(maybe with firmware update) or you still have problems with C9 hdr?
    Also tell please, did you have any other issues with ABL while watching real content (for example scenes with a big amount of bright snow, explosions, etc.) ?
    I'm looking to buy an OLED TV and want to know what is better in terms of picture quality: C8 or C9 (the price is about the same at the moment in my city).
    Thanks in advance.