Skip to Content

OLED C9 occasionally freezes for a few seconds - after the freeze ends everything goes fast forward

The C9 occasionally freezes for a few seconds - after the freeze ends everything goes fast forward to catch up (including the sound, which gets a bit out of sync).

OLED C9 occasionally freezes for a few seconds - after the freeze ends everything goes fast forward

Posted on 2019-06-24 14:54:16 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
The C9 occasionally freezes for a few seconds - after the freeze ends everything goes fast forward to catch up (including the sound, which gets a bit out of sync).
It happens on the Youtube or Netflix apps with the TV on either Ethernet or WiFi and even with a Blu-ray player.

Best Answer

• Reply Title Icon

RE: OLED C9 occasionally freezes for a few seconds - after the freeze ends everything goes fast forward

Posted on 2019-06-24 17:40:31 Vote Up0Vote Down

dfa973, How frequent is the problem? does it happen multiple times a day or once every few days?

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

14 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: OLED C9 occasionally freezes for a few seconds - after the freeze ends everything goes fast forward

dfa973dfa973 Member
    Posted on 2019-06-24 19:12:25 Vote Up5Vote Down
    It can happen multiple times a day.
    PumaBreath
  • Reply Title Icon

PumaBreathPumaBreath Member
    Posted on 2019-06-24 23:48:39 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Hello Jamal, I also have this issue along with a few others on the forums. I'm on latest FW for USA - 03.60.04 for my 65 LG C9. 

It happens multiple times in your onboard Netflix app. It also caused my TV to completely freeze to the point I had to unplug it. 

Let me know if you need any more information. Seems to be a buggy FW. 
    dfa973
  • Reply Title Icon

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-06-25 15:10:04 edited June 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down

PumaBreath, Thanks for the info. I will have it sent over for review.

dfa973, can you provide the software version of your TV? Also can both of you answer the below:

1) What external devices are connected to the TV?

2) Are you using network IP control?

3) How long after the TV is on does it start?

• Reply Title Icon

dfa973dfa973 Member
    Posted on 2019-06-26 07:03:30 Vote Up0Vote Down
    The firmware version is 03.60.04
    1. No external devices are connected to the TV right now.
    2. No IP control.
    3. There is no pattern, the time period is variable.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-06-26 16:48:35 edited June 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks. I would like to get you scheduled for service. Please private message me your info for further assistance.

• Reply Title Icon

TanquenTanquen Member
    Posted on 2019-06-27 21:40:45 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Same for me. :( It's done it twice now and the mouse stops working after Netflix comes back.

The firmware version is 03.60.04
    1. No external devices are connected to the TV right now.
    2. No IP control.
    3. There is no pattern, the time period is variable.
    dfa973
  • Reply Title Icon

rmgrenleyrmgrenley Member
    Posted on 2019-06-28 18:16:38 Vote Up0Vote Down
    C9 03.60.04 Update and remote issue

This morning I did, as instructed by my C9, the recommended 03.60.04 update, and after that I noticed my "magic" remote microphone would no longer work as before...each time I tried to access the voice control, it would ask me to sign up for Google Assistant. I was not aware that Google Assistant was required for use of the LG remote voice control, nor had it been previously. LG support told me that they had no record of the software update causing this issue, and they confirmed that I did NOT need to sign up for Google Assistant in order for the remote voice control to function. I was hesitant to sign up for Google Assistant and agree to their privacy agreement, etc. if it was not necessary.

Unpairing and repairing the remote multiple times did not work, nor did powering down and doing a reset on the C9, nor did doing a reset on the remote (removing batteries and pushing each remote button twice). Each time the remote microphone button was pushed, the Google Assistant setup page would appear. They told me I would need to do a reset to factory settings on the C9, which I was hesitant to jump into since I would have to reset all of my settings on the C9. 

Also, interestingly, once we decided to proceed with the reset to factory settings, the option to "restore to factory or initial settings" was not an option...it could not be found. Neither Tech support nor I could find it anywhere under Settings under General. It was not there. (And, by the way, now after accepting Google Assist, as I did (see below) the "Reset to Initial Settings" is now appearing there under General. Not sure if eventually accepting Google Assistant had some effect on it, though not sure why.)

Eventually they told me that they would need to send out a technician the following week.
    I eventually decided to see what happened if I gave in and agreed to the terms and sign up for Google Assistant, and though I went through the steps, I did not move on to setting up and signing in to it on my mobile device.

Anyway, I did so, and now my remote microphone is working! 

Does anyone know if Google Assistant is indeed required for the remote voice control to work?
    If not, has anyone found that the software update has altered the function of their remote microphone and they are having problems with Google Assistant being required for it to work?
  • Reply Title Icon

TomcupTomcup Member
    Posted on 2019-06-28 21:23:51 edited June 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I also experienced the same quick pause, buffer, then stutter in fast motion to catch up 2 times watching a movie last night on Netflix on my 77C9 OLED. (Specifically The Gollum, which is in HD, 5,1 audio) 
    Never had that specific issue happen before on any Netflix streaming device, including this TV so far. Haven't experienced any buffering in general in a long time either - but this isn't really buffering, this is like a memory leak in the app or something. I'm hard wired on 100Mb connection and also on firmware - 03.60.04

Even more annoyingly, the TV stopped listening to any remote commands when that was happening (so I couldn't rewind) and then afterwards the cursor would no longer pop up and the set generally seemed like it was less responsive. Which leads me to believe the app has a memory issue or something. I was going to try to fully exit netflix, unplug the TV and restart afterwards to see if that at least brought the cursor and set's responsiveness back, but it was right before bed and the set started doing and Auto comp I didn't want to interrupt.

I have not experienced this issue watching 4K or Dolby Vision content on the C9, so far just that HD Title. 
  • Reply Title Icon

SophiaHSophiaH Member
    Posted on 2019-06-28 23:43:23 Vote Up0Vote Down
    We just got this television 6 days ago.  We noticed the same problem when trying to use Netflix through the television, audio and visual were in fast forward speed. Streaming it from a tablet or phone, no problem.  It is connected to an external audio system through the HDMI arc.  When we made the audio go through the television and not the external sound system, then Netflix played in normal speed.  We are not happy about this!!!
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-07-02 18:25:32 Vote Up0Vote Down

I have escalated this up for further review. I will provide more information once updated.

• Reply Title Icon

sleepysurfsleepysurf Member
    Posted on 2019-07-08 18:01:23 Vote Up0Vote Down
    FYI, this has happened to us as well, multiple times, while streaming Amazon Prime.  Very frustrating.  Currently running latest firmware.  Hope LG Tech will be able to sort this out soon.
  • Reply Title Icon

BaldrekrBaldrekr Member
    Posted on 2019-07-11 22:51:17 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Happens to me as well, 1-3 times a night on Netflix.  It doesn't happen on all TV series, however, and I suspect newer TV series have a different encoding which doesn't trigger this problem.

To reproduce the problem, watch Mad Men on Netflix (say, season 6, which is what we are currently watching, although the season shouldn't really matter).  When watching 2 episodes, it has always frozen up at some point (sometimes during the first episode, sometimes during the second, and sometimes multiple times throughout the night).  Not 100% guaranteed to happen during the first episode, however.

This happens regardless of whether I am using TV sound or sending it through eARC to my receiver.  Motion setting is set to Clear.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-07-12 14:54:28 Vote Up0Vote Down

Baldrekr, thanks for the explanation. I'll have this particular episode checked out to see if we can replicate it.

• Reply Title Icon

davoz1davoz1 Member
    Posted on 2019-07-13 03:10:22 Vote Up0Vote Down

I am also facing the same problem with Netflix. I'm using the C9 Oled. It gets very annoying....