Skip to Content

Linear Compressors

I’ve heard a lot about failing linear compressors in the news lately.

Linear Compressors

Posted on 2019-07-13 05:28:12 Refrigerators Vote Up0Vote Down
I’ve heard a lot about failing linear compressors in the news lately. Unfortunately, based on the online diagnostic tools and a discussion over the phone today ours may be failing. It’s rather disappointing that a several thousand dollar fridge start to fail after 7 years. Anyone else experiencing this? LGs comment is “hey good news we have a 10yr warranty on the compressor.”  The bad news is the price for the tech visit and labor (part would be covered under warranty) is 1/3 the price of getting a brand new fridge. Who wants to spend that kind of money on a prematurely failing product.

Would love to hear from others, since we are really debating on our next steps while this costly appliance seems to be on its way out. We’ve already had a warranty service on this fridge around the 4/5 yr mark for a failing seal and failing defroster (both fully covered under warranty - parts and labor). Wondering if we have a lemon or the product has reliability issues. 

Thanks
Tagged:

6 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Linear Compressors

katealkateal Member
    Posted on 2019-07-14 21:12:58 Vote Up5Vote Down
    MY compressor for my 2 1/2 yr French door refrigerator went. Took weeks for repair and had it installed  and it went again 3 weeks later. I have talked to numerous techs  since then and they all say same thing there is a well known problem with this compressor. Not sure what your best course of action is. My replacement compressor didn't work either
    Jbprot
  • Reply Title Icon

MurrayDanMurrayDan Member
    Posted on 2019-07-19 21:44:38 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Same thing happened / is happening to me - bought new from Best Buy in 2016, linear compressor failed in 2018 (last year) - paid $600 + for labor to repair, July 2019 freezer has stopped working. Unbelievable that LG continues to sell refrigerators with the issue there is with the compressors. My recommendation is to not waste any more money and buy a new refrigerator / research and talk with technicians to get their recommendations. (The service company we used last year was LG certified, but has since disassociated itself from LG / of the 2 LG service companies which LG referred me to most recently, one stated that they no longer service LG) My opinion is that it is an unreliable brand (for refrigerators and dishwashers too).
    Jbprot
  • Reply Title Icon

stickmanstickman Member
    Posted on 2019-07-22 17:07:11 Vote Up5Vote Down
    Folks read my post "still not working"....you all are having the same issue...LG is not steeping up to the plate for their awful product!  
    MurrayDan
  • Reply Title Icon

SheriLee9SheriLee9 Member
    Posted on 2019-07-28 20:26:42 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Our condenser compressor just went as well and the refrigerator is 3 years old.  Has anyone had any success with LG stepping up and repairing?
  • Reply Title Icon

nedmountainnedmountain Member
    Posted on 2019-07-30 00:00:05 Vote Up0Vote Down
    In 2015 we upgraded our kitchen with all LG appliances (range, dishwasher, microwave, and refrigerator) and all work wonderful EXCEPT the refrigerator.  The original one was defective out of the box and immediately replaced.  The new one worked fine until a compressor failure this month.  LG replaced the compressor via factory authorized service with the "new and improved" version.  After a week, I called and complained about the loud hum the new compressor is making.  LG sent service back out and I was told that this "new and improved" compressor has this low frequency humming sound, and that nothing can be done.  The hum permeates our entire first floor and is driving us crazy.  We have named the 'fridge "Mr. Hummer".  Being retired and on fixed income, it will take some time to save enough to get rid of this beast and replace it with something with more traditional refrigerator sounds.   Never thought about a listening test when purchasing a new refrigerator---but will do so on the next purchase.
  • Reply Title Icon

nedmountainnedmountain Member
    Posted on 2019-08-20 01:49:23 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I may seek legal recourse as this new and improved product is totally unacceptable.  The hum from the new compressor is driving us crazy.  I really feel LG should replace the entire unit!