Skip to Content

new refrigerator, not cooling

I recently purchased a new refrigerator, model LRFXC2406S via Costco. It was installed this morning. Unfortunately it is not cooling one bit.

new refrigerator, not cooling

Posted on 2019-07-17 00:59:24 Refrigerators Vote Up0Vote Down
I recently purchased a new refrigerator, model LRFXC2406S via Costco. It was installed this morning. Unfortunately it is not cooling one bit. The subsequent experience has been exceptionally frustrating. It is quite odd as the compressor appears to be running correctly, the unit powers on correctly. I even installed the Smart ThinQ application and no issues were identified via diagnostics. My understanding, based upon the instruction manual, is that there should be some degree of cooling (although obviously not fully stabilized) by 2-3 hours. But this has not budged. If I did not know any better I would say this is still in demo mode.

In trying to troubleshoot this, one of the steps indicated in the paper manual was regarding demo/display mode. The instructions did not cause any change when followed. It turns out for 2019 models this procedure changed (https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/demo-mode-display-mode-refrigerator-CT10000021-1337637756594). When I performed the steps it did lead to "OFF" being displayed, which I then reversed and notably did NOT hear the ice dispenser initialize. 

Frankly I find pages like this (https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/not-cooling-refrigerator-CT10000021-1429710713371) to be misleading, particularly as they lead to unhelpful comments such as this (https://lgcommunity.us.com/discussion/comment/4068#Comment_4068). The issue is that of mixed messages. No official documentation states that zero cooling is to be expected within the first 24-48h, only that it takes this period to reach stable temperature. If there is a separate source indicating otherwise, by all means please refer me to it.

Meanwhile, owing to conflicting recommendations in paper vs online instructions, and on this same support site, I continue left without any further troubleshooting measures to undertake. I would appreciate further guidance regarding next steps e.g. could there be an issue with the installation, another troubleshooting step to take, significance that ice dispenser did not initialize as in the above video, etc. Any insight would be appreaciated.

2 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: new refrigerator, not cooling

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-07-17 20:35:18 Vote Up-5Vote Down

iechenique, there isn't much troubleshooting that can be performed since the unit was installed a few hrs. ago. It would need to be installed for at least 24 hrs.

If you have a strong magnet, open the left door only and place the magnet to the upper top of the unit. It would imitate the door being closed, you would know it worked because the lights will turn off, you should be able to feel the air flowing.

Try purging the waterline of any air by dispensing a few glass of water from the dispenser. From there, remove the ice bin and press the reset button. This would dump any water in the ice maker, so have a bowl available, and you should hear it fill back up.   

Heidi

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

RE: new refrigerator, not cooling

dasfl49dasfl49 Member
    Posted on 2019-08-07 16:21:39 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I suppose you've found this out already, but there's really no perceptible cooling going on during the first two or three hours after connecting the new refrigerator to power. Mine was delivered yesterday, and like you, I thought I had received a unit that was DOA. It was much quieter than my old refrigerator, so I wasn't sure the compressor was running. And also like you, I went through the same process to ensure it was not in demo mode. I kept thermometers in the refrigerator and freezer to track any cooling. The freezer temperature started to drop significantly after 2.5 hours, and the refrigerator had dropped to the 40's by 6 hours (and they both kept getting cooler after that).  Bottom line - it just takes a little patience after powering on the refrigerator for the first time. I hope that you found the same thing to be true with yours!
    JamalofLG
This discussion has been closed.