Skip to Content

How many washer/dryer combos have a failure of the control board, and when?

I have a WM3987 combo unit.... worked fine for 5 years, then started spritzing cold water in the wash tub during the dry cycle....

How many washer/dryer combos have a failure of the control board, and when?

Posted on 2018-01-07 22:21:07 Washer Dryer Combos Vote Up0Vote Down
I have a WM3987 combo unit.... worked fine for 5 years, then started spritzing cold water in the wash tub during the dry cycle.... making clothes sopping wet instead of dry. Turned out to be a failure on the main control board EBR38163341, which cost $200 plus labor to replace. Worse, LG refused to cover it under warranty, saying that only the motor has a 10 year warranty, everything else is 1 year only.

I would like to find out what the failure rate for these control boards is..... if it is very high, LG should do a recall, or free part at least. I would LOVE to know how many units have failed, per million sold, over the last 5 years.
phyl428

2 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: How many washer/dryer combos have a failure of the control board, and when?

sanmisanmi Administrator, LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-09-04 19:09:35 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    Sorry to hear about your warranty issue, warranty information about all LG products can be found on this page.
    https://www.lg.com/us/support/warranty-information

The community have not been able to provide more information for you about this issue.
    trent1992
  • Reply Title Icon

RE: How many washer/dryer combos have a failure of the control board, and when?

AuthorangelaAuthorangela Member
    Posted on 2019-07-15 12:32:03 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    I’m trying to find a replacement control assembly for my washer/dryer combo WM3988HWA.  LG stopped making them and I can’t find it anywhere. 
    trent1992