Skip to Content

Can't connect more than one device via Airplay to LG OLED C9

I didn't have any problems establishing an Airplay connection to my LG OLED C9 (firmware v03.60.19) with a first iOS device via QR code.

Can't connect more than one device via Airplay to LG OLED C9

Posted on 2019-08-14 16:48:18 edited August 14 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
I didn't have any problems establishing an Airplay connection to my LG OLED C9 (firmware v03.60.19) with a first iOS device via QR code.
However, other devices afterwards cannot connect because the C9 doesn't show a PIN code for them when they try to connect via Airplay.
And the security option in the Airplay settings on the TV is greyed out and can't be changed.

What am I doing wrong?
Tagged:

5 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: Can't connect more than one device via Airplay to LG OLED C9

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-08-14 19:04:06 Vote Up0Vote Down
    chirdpanda, to ensure I follow, once you connect Airplay to the C9 you cannot access Airplay from another device? 

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

chirdpandachirdpanda Member
    Posted on 2019-08-14 20:56:52 edited August 14 Vote Up5Vote Down
    I actually found the cause of the issue. It's rather a limitation than a bug but sth. that really should be documented.

Once you activate HomeKit it completely takes control over the Airplay authentication, hence why the Airplay authentication setting becomes greyed out. I.e. users/devices which are not part of your home in HomeKit will no longer be able to connect via Airplay. You can invite other users to your home so they can use Airplay as well though (as described here).
    Which also means HomeKit users no longer need to enter a PIN to connect to the TV via Airplay. This is convenient but somehow unexpected.

If you deactivate HomeKit but keep Airplay active you can set the Airplay authentication setting to whatever you prefer so other users may use Airplay and e.g. have to authenticate via PIN.

Another thing I also noticed:
    the TV supports Airplay 2 but not Airplay which means you need at least iOS 11.4 or macOS 10.14.5.
    See here for a detailed list of requirements. Devices which don't support Airplay 2 won't even detect the TV.
    JamalofLG
  • Reply Title Icon

JamalofLGJamalofLG LG Moderator
    Posted on 2019-08-15 14:26:21 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks for the info!

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

• Reply Title Icon

robertapple1robertapple1 Member
    Posted on 2019-08-31 09:08:53 edited September 2 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi,

From the Netherlands. I have a OLED 55C9. Airplay 2 works partly. But Homekit doesn't at all!. When scanning the QR code generated by the TV, the TV says it has been configured with Homekit. However, my Homekit app says that adding the LG OLED has failed. The tv is connected by ethernet and WiFi, the iPhone on the same wifi....With other iPhone no result either.

Some Airplay features work, others not:

MacBook Pro:  ScreenMirror works, playing films from iTunes works, playing films directly from QuickTime and selecting Airplay to LG TV DOESN'T work.

iPhone: Airplay works with all features.

Anyone know a solution???

• Reply Title Icon

robertapple1robertapple1 Member
    Posted on 2019-09-07 13:56:57 Vote Up0Vote Down

A conversation with Apple helped me realise the problem. The Apple guy asked: is bluetooth (BT) on? Of course it was, but then it hit me: Airplay control works with BT. And therein lies the problem.

When I bought the TV it automatically recognised my settop-box/decoder (Ballard Rural Telephone Cooperation is how it is called on my TV; it is provided by T-Mobile Netherlands). This set-up makes it possible to use the LG Magic Remote as a universal RC to control my settop box. This feature uses BT.......

After disconnecting the LG Magic Remote from the settop box, the Homekit app on my iPhone recognised my LG TV and added it as an accessory. Succes at last. BUT, after setting up my LG Magic Remote again to control my settop box, the Homekit app didn't get a respons from the LG TV anymore.

My conclusion is, that there is a Bluetooth protocol interference at play here, that I as a user cannot fix. My opinion is that LG needs to contact Apple to streamline each others usage of BT protocols, and come up with a firmware update.

At the moment I choose in favour of using my settop box with the LG Magic Remote, as the functionality of the HomeKit controls of the TV is limited, but I would love to be able to use both.