Skip to Content

jul28

I have the LG X Charge thru XFINITY Mobile. Love the phone! But big issue. I work from home,I have XFINITY Triple Play.

jul28

Posted on 2018-01-26 06:49:58 Cell Phones Vote Up0Vote Down
I have the LG X Charge thru XFINITY Mobile. Love the phone! But big issue. I work from home,I have XFINITY Triple Play. WiFi modem is literally in my home  office where I use my computer and phone. Since receiving my device thru XFINITY it is constantly going off wifi! I have had two other mobile devices since I had XFINITY installed in my home. Plus a tablet and two computers.None of them have or had this issue. People visit me with other mobile devices and do not have the same issue connecting to my XFINITY wifi. I have to keep an eye on the toolbar at the top of my home screen ( I have it so it is visible no matter what screen I am on)My wifi on my LG Charge goes on and off,disables, at least 100+ times a day!! XFINITY mobile has gone over the issue with me. They claim it must be the device. I even went over the wifi settings and advanced wifi settings with an XFINITY Mobile rep twice. Still happening??? Is anyone who also has the LG X Charge model no.LG-M322 5.5 " having the same issue? I need phone to stay on wifi to avoid an astronomical monthly bill. Can anyone help? I believe I have a 1 year warranty w/LG. I have a protection plan w/XFINITY but yesterday I was told it was over 30 days so they will not replace the device!! I am locked into a contract.This is a beautiful ,affordable phone. I can't help wondering if XFINITY is to blame here? I need to know how many of you out there have the same issue?? Help!!! :(
Tagged:

Best Answer

• Reply Title Icon

RE: jul28

Posted on 2018-01-27 17:54:24 Vote Up1Vote Down
    OK, you are not alone in people having phones among numerous makes / models that can fail to stay connected to their WiFi router. 

In general, the first thing people should try is power cycling the router and the phone. Did that solve the issue?

If not, what I would do is try using a static IP address with the phone for your router. Do you know how to access your router's configuration pages? On of the pages will list a set or range of IP addresses that are reserved as static. I would used the advanced WiFi settings of the phone to select a static IP address in that range, probably in the middle.

If that didn't work, I would back up my personal content from the phone onto a PC, and I would perform a Factory Device Reset, aka Factory Data Reset (FDR) on the phone. I know that's drastic, and it will force you to re-install applications and reconfigure apps like email, but would be something I would try before getting a warranty replacement.

6 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

Mandymay38Mandymay38 Member
    Posted on 2018-01-26 08:08:03 edited January 2018 Vote Up1Vote Down
    <3 You have to make sure that you have you service set off and then you can always download the xfinty app
  • Reply Title Icon

jul28jul28 Member
    Posted on 2018-01-27 19:28:48 edited February 2018 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi stf7,I hear what you are saying but as I said I have never had this problems before with any other device. I have an XFINITY router obviously but have no idea how to attempt the steps you are explaining here. I have done all XFINITY system updates,powered off and reset the main box and modem,done complete system refresh of my XFINITY System and nothing has made a difference. Like I said. I have no problems connecting it keeping my wifi on on any other device in my home. Computers,laptops,tablets,and other android phones except the LG X charge. I have noticed on the XFINITY mobile app that I am not alone on this issue. Tons of people are pretty upset about it. Especially pertaining to the LG X Charge. Could you send me the steps to try what you were explaining here? Using a static IP address ?  It is just getting worse and worse. I do know how to get into the advanced wifi menu . Wondering if I have the settings correct in there also?
  • Reply Title Icon

jul28jul28 Member
    Posted on 2018-01-27 19:33:21 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Hi Mandymay38 ,I have the XFINITY mobile app. It is required if you have XFINITY mobile.Can you explain what you mean by having service set off? Not sure? Would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.
  • Reply Title Icon

stf7stf7 Power User
    Posted on 2018-01-27 20:49:06 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Julie,
    I'm sorry. Understand that I'm simply a peer, not an employee of LG, and it's not proper for me to address your concerns outside the community. Please go back and remove your email address because it could be a means for other people or BOTS to send you SPAM (junk email). I understand that perhaps Comcast came in and "set everything up" and left your house or place of business, wherever you are trying to use the phone.

When you go to this site, is your "Modem/WiFi Router listed?
    https://www.xfinity.com/support/articles/comcast-supported-routers-gateways-adapters

There you will find an ip address to put into your web browser address bar to login to your router as an administrator (let's call this the base address... and let's assume for the moment it's 192.168.1.1). Type that into the address bar, hit return, and then for administrator and password, enter the values from that xfinity webpage.

From there, you can navigate the pages that the modem/wifi router presents to your computer so you can see the various settings of the modem/router (and modify them if you were really technically inclined). But you won't be changing any router settings.

Lets imagine for a moment you can log into your router with the computer and navigate the web pages it serves up. And let's imagine you can find a screen where there is a range of IP (Internet Protocol) addresses something like 192.168.100.1 to 192.168.100.149 that are reserved for DHCP (Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol)... Those would be addresses we wouldn't want to use for your phone. So let's say we want to use a static address that isn't in that range... Let's choose for example, 192.168.1.7.

On your phone, we'd click on Settings | Wifi, then we'd select (long press on) the SSID (Service Set IDentifier), the same one that Comcast gave you, and is probably written on the bottom of the Modem/Router. We'd "forget it" so as to forget that WiFi connection.

Then we would select the SSID again to re-add it to the phone, but we'd click on Show advanced options. 

Then before we put in the password (Comcast would have given you this, or had you create one), we'd de-select DHCP for IP Settings, and we'd select Static instead, and for IP address we'd enter 192.168.1.7.  For Gateway, we'd enter the same "base" address from up above when we logged into the router with a computer.THEN we'd enter the password for the connection to the router. Here are the steps in a nutshell:
    https://it.uoregon.edu/node/3559

Are you able to follow this? I know it's a bit much. Do you have a friend or neighbor that is tech savvy and could help you if you don't feel comfortable with this?

• Reply Title Icon

KindOfABigDealKindOfABigDeal LG Moderator
    Posted on 2018-02-01 00:36:57 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @jul28 I edited your comment and removed your email from public view for your privacy protection.
  • Reply Title Icon

thewampthewamp Member
    Posted on 2018-02-03 13:44:59 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Would turning off Mobile Data prevent switching between WiFi and Cell Tower connections?