Skip to Content

2017 LG OLED TrueHD output thru HDMI (i.e. eARC)?

I'm looking clarity on specifically what is supported by LG OLED Oct 2017 update.

2017 LG OLED TrueHD output thru HDMI (i.e. eARC)?

Posted on 2018-02-26 21:12:15 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down
I'm looking clarity on specifically what is supported by LG OLED Oct 2017 update.

1. does the tv pass TrueHD out of HDMI to a receiver/soundbar (uncompressed higher bandwidth audio over ARC)
OR
2. the tv only receives TrueHD to play on it's own tiny internal speakers? (which won't sound different w/ lossless)

More specifically, is the tv now upgraded to eARC, so it passes lossless (higher bandwidth) through ARC now? Using the eARC standard would be a huge first for LG!

---------
The release notes only say "through HDMI", which doesn't tell us if that's input our output/passthrough):
The press release states TrueHD was "delivered"
http://www.lgnewsroom.com/2017/10/2017-lg-oled-tvs-first-to-offer-dolby-truehd-lossless-sound/
[04.70.07]  
For 2017 OLED TVs (W7, G7, E7, C7, B7)  
1. Support TrueHD audio format through HDMI  
2. Technicolor Expert mode  
Specifically, does this mean the tv now RECEIVES TrueHD via HDMI 
THANKS!!!
Tagged:

2 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: 2017 LG OLED TrueHD output thru HDMI (i.e. eARC)?

gowri18591gowri18591 Member
    Posted on 2018-05-25 15:52:12 Vote Up2Vote Down
    Looking for an answer for same doubt. What do they mean by support for TrueHD audio. Because I can confirm that my receiver is not seeing any trueHD audio input nor the internal speakers play em. When a video with TrueHD audio is played using internal media player, there is no audio just the video alone is played. 

Apparently no reply from LG still .. ... 
    EZ_Fix_Repair_Vegas
  • Reply Title Icon

RE: 2017 LG OLED TrueHD output thru HDMI (i.e. eARC)?

gowri18591gowri18591 Member
    Posted on 2018-06-11 15:35:24 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @eturk Just got out of a call from LG representative. Who knows nothing but answer what is given to him. 
    Now coming to what i could make sense of whatever i heard from him:
    1. The update does not enable eARC for higher bandwidth.
    2. USB content having TrueHD audio wont be played by the TV nor will it send it via ARC to external speakers
    3. Only those inputs played from external media device (Ex Bluray (My assumption)) and connected to TV via HDMI will play the TrueHD audio through its speakers. (Or hook it to AVR HT and then route video to LG TV, then LG advertising support to TrueHD audio makes no sense).

Thats all i could understand as the phone line was terrible and also the callers accent.
    TrueHD is a lossless audio and so is DTS-HD master audio but TV plays DTS-HD MA without fuss but TrueHD alone wont play from USB. Of course that is what the update tells but if it did, it would have been great!!