Skip to Content

How to use AirPlay & what LG TV's support Airplay 2

LG TVs are equipped with innovative features that make it easy to share screen and display content between your external devices like your PC, tablet, smartphone and more.

How to use AirPlay & what LG TV's support Airplay 2

Posted on 2019-12-12 17:24:05 edited December 2019 OLED TVs Vote Up0Vote Down

LG TVs are equipped with innovative features that make it easy to share screen and display content between your external devices like your PC, tablet, smartphone and more. There are multiple ways to connect and they all depend on your network connectivity and the type of device you wish to share.

In the case you are using a Mac device to share your information, AirPlay will only allow you to stream to a Mac device, however, LG supports AirPlay 2 in its 2019 models.

Note: AirPlay is only supported from Mac device to Mac device.

You can share screen directly from an iPhone to an Apple TV using Airplay. Airplay is the official screen sharing technology from Apple.

Supports:

IPhone 4 or later

IPad or iPad mini

IPod touch (4th generation or later)

Which LG devices offer AirPlay 2?
•LG OLED (2019)
•LG NanoCell SM9X series (2019)
•LG NanoCell SM8X series (2019)
•LG UHD UM7X series (2019)

How to stream:

1. Connect your iOS device and Apple TV or AirPort Express to the same Wi-Fi network.

2. On your iOS device, swipe up from the bottom of your screen to access Control Center.

3. Tap AirPlay.

4. Tap the name of the device you want to stream content to. You'll see icons of a TV screen or speaker next to each device so you know what type of content you can stream. On iPad, you might need to scroll to see all of the available devices in the device list.

5. When you use AirPlay Mirroring, your TV uses the orientation and aspect ratio of your device. If you want the image from your device to fill your TV screen, you would need to adjust your TV's aspect ratio or zoom settings.

https://www.lg.com/us/support/help-library/how-to-use-airplay-what-lg-tvs-support-airplay-2-CT10000018-20151097893431 

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

8 REPLIES

• Reply Title Icon

RE: How to use AirPlay & what LG TV's support Airplay 2

filchescatfilchescat Member
    Posted on 2019-12-17 00:07:28 Vote Up5Vote Down
    This is what I thought Airplay2 was going to bring to an OLEDe9 . . . the ability to output audio to Airplay2 Homepods as an alternative to the LG's internal speakers when viewing WebOS TV, like Netflix or Amazon Prime. When these apps are played via an HDMI-4 connected Apple TV4K, I can choose to use either the Homepods or the LG's internal speakers. When I switch to the OLED's WebOS app (no matter which one), I cannot see how to re-direct audio to the AirPlay2 HomePods. Is this not possible?
    slivver
  • Reply Title Icon

slivverslivver Member
    Posted on 2019-12-24 20:09:39 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Great question!  I have been looking for the answer for the last couple of days since the new OLED arrived.  Love the ability to Airplay directly to the TV but would like to run the HomePod as a rear speaker with the TV speakers.  
  • Reply Title Icon

HijackHijack Member
    Posted on 2019-12-29 19:07:23 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Except that everytime  i try entering the on screen code it says “airplay is disconnected, please try again later”. 
    It seems alot of ppl experience this issue, some of them are on this forum and others on
    https://www.avforums.com/threads/airplay-disconnected.2265882/#post-27653776
  • Reply Title Icon

ClaudineClaudine Member
    Posted on 2019-12-31 14:18:07 Vote Up0Vote Down
    It's fixed for me!!
    Updated Firmware, Changed TV Name to “Living Room TV”, unplugged tv 10 seconds. plugged back in... Screen mirroring and airplay finally worked fine ,,
  • Reply Title Icon

Jokerxx3Jokerxx3 Member
    Posted on 2020-01-08 06:19:27 edited January 8 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I also would like to output the audio of LG TV apps through my HomePods but I couldn’t find any option to do so. The audio menu should show a new audio output mode like „Airplay“.
    Is it possible in general or does it need a firmware update?
  • Reply Title Icon

darkangelicdarkangelic Member
    Posted on 2020-01-09 01:03:20 Vote Up5Vote Down
    That's not how AirPlay works. You need an Apple device for your source to stream to an Airplay enabled device. 
    You cannot AirPlay from one non-Apple receiving device to another device (i.e. LG TV to HomePods).

See system requirements here:
    https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT208728

Jokerxx3
  • Reply Title Icon

DWFJDWFJ Member
    Posted on 2020-01-21 04:31:20 Vote Up0Vote Down
    ok, so I have a 2019 OLED65C8 but I don't see any option for airplay2 . I checked for  new firmware and seems to be up to date
  • Reply Title Icon

chirdpandachirdpanda Member
    Posted on 2020-01-21 16:59:24 Vote Up0Vote Down
    ok, so I have a 2019 OLED65C8 but I don't see any option for airplay2 . I checked for  new firmware and seems to be up to date

The C8 is not a 2019 model but a 2018 model. You need a B9/C9/E9 for AirPlay 2.