Skip to Content

CONNECTING TO YOUR TV USING AN HDMI CABLE

HDMI (ARC) means High-Definition Multimedia Interface Audio Return Channel. This is a method of transmitting sound from your ARC compatible TV to your Soundbar.

CONNECTING TO YOUR TV USING AN HDMI CABLE

Posted on 2019-12-12 21:25:09 4K Ultra HD TVs Vote Up0Vote Down

HDMI (ARC) means High-Definition Multimedia Interface Audio Return Channel. This is a method of transmitting sound from your ARC compatible TV to your Soundbar.

Most Soundbar models support ARC, but it is best to consult the manual to be sure.

To connect your Soundbar using HDMI (ARC):

Note: Simplink will need to be enabled for ARC to function.

1.     Make sure the Soundbar is powered On.

2.     Connect an HDMI cable from the HDMI (ARC) output on your TV (usually HDMI 1), to the HDMI input slot on the Soundbar.

3.     Locate the Sound menu on your TV (differs by model).

4.     Select Sound Out from the Sound menu.

5.     Choose Audio Out(Optical/HDMI ARC)from the list.

6.     Your Soundbar should automatically switch to ARC mode. If not, change the function on the Soundbar to HDMI IN.

Did this resolve your problem? Let everyone know by selecting "Helpful"!

12 Comments

• Reply Title Icon

RE: CONNECTING TO YOUR TV USING AN HDMI CABLE

macleod52macleod52 Member
    Posted on 2019-12-13 11:53:33 edited December 2019 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    Do you plan on fixing the issue on the C9 OLED where ARC only returns 2 channel audio? It's getting pretty frustrating having my PS4 look gorgeous but only play in stereo because the ARC is broken (as is Optical Out).
    chirdpanda
  • Reply Title Icon

chirdpandachirdpanda Member
    Posted on 2019-12-14 13:41:43 Vote Up-5Vote Down
    Do you plan on fixing the issue on the C9 OLED where ARC only returns 2 channel audio? It's getting pretty frustrating having my PS4 look gorgeous but only play in stereo because the ARC is broken (as is Optical Out).

Which issue are you referring to?
    Multichannel sound via ARC just works fine, especially with a PS4. I certainly never had any problem with my C9 / PS4 and 5.1 sound output via ARC. There would certainly be mass protests if a PS4 via ARC in combination with a C9 would only support stereo sound.

The only thing currently not working is multichannel PCM over eARC.

macleod52
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-12-14 18:26:13 edited December 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    What issue?

Netflix & Amazon Prime through HDMI ARC -Passthrough , using ARC (not eARC) will play a high pitch, sped up sounding audio. This same thing happens when using my ChromeCast ultra hooked directly up to the TV using ARC. Optical fixes the issue.

Disney+ and YouTube will only play 2-channel audio. I must use Optical in order to get 5.1 sound.  

PS4 will only play 5.1 through compressed Dolbly/DTS Bitstream. Linear PCM will only produce Stereo sound when using Optical or HDMI ARC.

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-12-14 19:20:57 Vote Up0Vote Down
    You were very unspecific and made it sound like all multichannel sound output via ARC is broken. Which is simply not the case.
    Netflix & Amazon Prime through HDMI ARC -Passthrough , using ARC (not eARC) will play a high pitch, sped up sounding audio.
    I've never heard of that issue before and I'm following a lot of various C9 forum threads. And I don't have this issue either. Which AVR are you using and did you check if it's an issue with your AVR? Have you contacted LG's support regarding this issue?

PS4 will only play 5.1 through compressed Dolbly/DTS Bitstream. Linear PCM will only produce Stereo sound when using Optical or HDMI ARC.
    5.1 (or higher) uncompressed PCM audio requires eARC, ARC doesn't support that.

However, LG has already confirmed they will add PCM multichannel support via eARC in the 2nd quarter of 2020:
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-12-14 20:52:53 edited December 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have not contacted LG because I'm still within my 30 day window to return to Amazon. If the new remote they sent me doesn't work then I'm going to have Amazon ship me a new TV.

I've also seen a couple posters talking about the same issue I have with Netflix but it would probably take me a while to find those posts. 

I have a Denon AVR-2113CI and it supports ARC and DD+. The Chromecast works perfectly fine when hooked directly up to the AVR. Netflix (or rather CC) outputs DD+ and my receiver receives it and displays DD+.
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-12-14 23:21:58 edited December 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I've also seen a couple posters talking about the same issue I have with Netflix but it would probably take me a while to find those posts.

We're talking about the TV's internal (webOS) Netflix / Prime Video apps, right?

I have a Denon AVR-2113CI and it supports ARC and DD+.

But the AVR-2113 doesn't support eARC. This means that even after the announced LG firmware update, multi-channel PCM beyond stereo will not be possible with your AVR.

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-12-15 03:13:29 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Yes, the internal webOS Apps all have issues when trying to output through HDMI ARC. When I use my Chromecast hooked up through the TV I have the same issue when trying to use HDMI ARC. The Chromecast does not have issue when hooked directly up to my AVR. So it has to do with the TV itself. 
  • Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-12-15 16:54:21 edited December 2019 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Yes, the internal webOS Apps all have issues when trying to output through HDMI ARC. When I use my Chromecast hooked up through the TV I have the same issue when trying to use HDMI ARC. The Chromecast does not have issue when hooked directly up to my AVR. So it has to do with the TV itself. 

All I can tell you is that I don't have this issue, neither with the internal apps nor with a FireTV 4K or with a SHIELD TV. (Firmware v04.70.05)
    My guess would be that it's the combination of a Chromecast with the C9.

But my advice really would be to contact LG's technical support, because the only LG employee you will find in here is Jamal and he's 1st level support.

• Reply Title Icon

Posted on 2019-12-15 18:26:58 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks. It's good to know that LG doesn't actively monitor this site. I thought they did since their support site links you out here. 
  • Reply Title Icon

1richard1richard Member
    Posted on 2019-12-16 11:43:55 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have a thread started Re ARC which remains unresolved. Bought a C9 65 about 2wks ago, it's connected to a Pioneer SC95 receiver. The TV will not allow me to select ARC in the Sound Out menu. I click on it and it moves off to another Sound Out option. Both devices are current on updates, ARC is on in Pioneer settings. Please advise....
  • Reply Title Icon

comemangucomemangu Member
    Posted on 2019-12-22 18:26:41 Vote Up0Vote Down
    After the last update I CANNOT send any sound via hdmi arc out to sony receiver. I've reset all settings on the tv and verified the TV is receiving audio by switching to the internal speakers. My setup has worked flawlessly for nearly 8 months and nothing has changed minus the update.
  • Reply Title Icon

cdahl72cdahl72 Member
    Posted on 2020-01-12 16:50:07 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Comemamgu, I am having a similar problem, it’s worked then just stopped. I think I may just have to return the TV. Bummed out!